Gerald McRath released

Mike

Yeah you guys are right. Coaches should never tell management they don't like one of the prospects that was brought in. They should just keep quiet and plug in the players given to them. Voicing your opinion is always a bad thing, sticking to it is even worse.

Ya sure, it would be all well and good if they didn't do it to twelve other guys, and if Etch didn't have the track record that he has. If the scouting department, Management and HC all like the guy, wouldn't you think... Gee maybe I'm wrong about him, maybe he deserves a shot in TC? I sure would...

FIRE MIKE O'SHEA HE'S BEEN HERE TWO MONTHS AND WE HAVEN'T WON A SINGLE GAME!

Thats not nearly the same thing and you know... Etch was already on thin ice with many of us due to his track history in this league. Combine that with the article about him being fired from wherever and him being all arrogant about it, not even having a playbook, sounding like a crazy, and now this latest gem of a rumor going against management pushing for his release....

Its going to take a miracle for me, and many others I presume, to change our opinions on the guy.

You and 17to85 just said it best... RUMOUR! your both overreacting and flipping out over stuff unsubstantiated and unfounded..

Step off the ledge, grab some popcorn and lets just see how this all plays out, eh?

Yeah you guys are right. Coaches should never tell management they don't like one of the prospects that was brought in. They should just keep quiet and plug in the players given to them. Voicing your opinion is always a bad thing, sticking to it is even worse.

Ya sure, it would be all well and good if they didn't do it to twelve other guys, and if Etch didn't have the track record that he has. If the scouting department, Management and HC all like the guy, wouldn't you think... Gee maybe I'm wrong about him, maybe he deserves a shot in TC? I sure would...

So one guy allegedly gets cut based on Etcheverry's opinion and suddenly it is Etcheverry behind every cut they've made this off-season?  Come on.  This is obviously part of the new strategy for these guys.  They want to bring in the best players and they're not going to be afraid to use mini-camp to judge guys and get the best possible 75 on the roster.  They do it all the time in the NFL and all they've got is a three-day mini-camp to work with as well.  They even cut guys after the offseason OTA's and those are even less strenuous than the mini-camp, mostly just strength and conditioning.

I don't seem to have heard or read an official release from the Bombers that McRath was released.  The only thing I heard was from Penton and it was more like a rumour.  Is there an official PR from the Bpmbers on this?

There was. Darren Cameron released it.

So one guy allegedly gets cut based on Etcheverry's opinion and suddenly it is Etcheverry behind every cut they've made this off-season?  Come on.  This is obviously part of the new strategy for these guys.  They want to bring in the best players and they're not going to be afraid to use mini-camp to judge guys and get the best possible 75 on the roster.  They do it all the time in the NFL and all they've got is a three-day mini-camp to work with as well.  They even cut guys after the offseason OTA's and those are even less strenuous than the mini-camp, mostly just strength and conditioning.

I never meant to imply he was behind very cut. That was miscommunication... I'm not sure what cuts he was behind. And its not even that I'm pissed off that we released McRath... I don't even know if he'd be a good player up here... I just don't like Etch for his track record in the league and other reasons already mentioned... which you cant say are invalid reasons.

I think that if Management and my HC really liked a player, and I didn't, I would respect their opinions enough to give him a shot in TC. His refusal to do that is fuel on the fire for me and my opinion towards him.(not that it really matters)

McRath would have been destined for all-star designation until he would inevitably be carted off in the 2nd or 3rd home game. The Bombers, as is their want would call his injury day-to-day but the guy would be done, period. Best to clean off the lamers before training camp. Good move Blue. Don't know why they sign these types in the first place. 

I just don't like Etch for his track record in the league and other reasons already mentioned... which you cant say are invalid reasons.

His track record as a DC in this league is not that bad. Over 5 seasons as a CFL DC, he has posted a 42-46-2 record, with 4 playoff appearances and 2 Grey Cup appearances. The one year he missed the playoffs was in 2000 with Saskatchewan and if you remember what was going on with the Riders in 2000, it is pretty tough to lay the blame on him for that one.

The fact of the matter is that people are up in arms because he is unconventional in his approach, nothing more. It has nothing to do with winning or losing, which is the really strange thing. I guess some people are just afraid to take chances and would rather go with a known loser like Kavis Reed than swing for the fences with a guy like Etcheverry.

I just don't like Etch for his track record in the league and other reasons already mentioned... which you cant say are invalid reasons.

His track record as a DC in this league is not that bad. Over 5 seasons as a CFL DC, he has posted a 42-46-2 record, with 4 playoff appearances and 2 Grey Cup appearances. The one year he missed the playoffs was in 2000 with Saskatchewan and if you remember what was going on with the Riders in 2000, it is pretty tough to lay the blame on him for that one.

The fact of the matter is that people are up in arms because he is unconventional in his approach, nothing more. It has nothing to do with winning or losing, which is the really strange thing. I guess some people are just afraid to take chances and would rather go with a known loser like Kavis Reed than swing for the fences with a guy like Etcheverry.

You manipulating stats to support your point of view... His defences being good only lasts untill opposing offences figure him out

You manipulating stats to support your point of view... His defences being good only lasts untill opposing offences figure him out

Feel free to use stats to support your view.

"His defences being good only lasts untill opposing offences figure him out" 

That is just a cliche that has been repeated by Rider fans over the last few years, based on one season where things went south after Labour Day (though they still made the Grey Cup).  Doesn't mean it's necessarily true.

That is just a cliche that has been repeated by Rider fans over the last few years, based on one season where things went south after Labour Day (though they still made the Grey Cup).  Doesn't mean it's necessarily true.

I don't believe that's a cliche... There's a reason the guy can't keep a job for long. Trying to re-invent the wheel is a giant red flag. If those ideas were so good other teams would copy them, the CFL is a copy cat league. If something works everyone does it, I don't see anyone copying Etchevary

I don't believe that's a cliche... There's a reason the guy can't keep a job for long. Trying to re-invent the wheel is a giant red flag. If those ideas were so good other teams would copy them, the CFL is a copy cat league. If something works everyone does it, I don't see anyone copying Etchevary

Is any CFL DC keeping a job?  Hall is the longest tenured one heading into his 4th season back in Regina, after that you're looking at Steinhauer and Thorpe who joined their teams in 2013.  Not sure if that's a good barometer, although I suspect Etcheverry's somewhat pompous attitude has contributed to a few mid-season firings on his resume.

In terms of copycatting, just look at Chris Jones.  He's a genius, apparently he invented the zone blitz.  If you watched his D and Etcheverry's without knowing who is who, there is a lot of similarity.  Noel Thorpe's D too is quite similar, with guys lining up all over the place and giving multiple looks in terms of who's dropping into coverage and who is blitzing.

That is just a cliche that has been repeated by Rider fans over the last few years, based on one season where things went south after Labour Day (though they still made the Grey Cup). Doesn't mean it's necessarily true.

Cliche was the wrong word but I couldn't think of the right one.

The jury is very much out on Etcheverry but the man's defences have won quite a few games in this league... and that is an undeniable fact.