Officials to be made available after games?

Not sure if this is a good idea, given the amount of verbal abuse directed at officials during the games, and particularly after a close game. Refereeing is always going to be imperfect, and I could easily see drunken louts screaming threats and obscenities at an official who has displeased them.

This could be interesting and something I'd like to see; would make officials more accountable:

@SUNMitchell: #CFL VP of Officiating Glen Johnson is considering making officials available following games to talk about controversial calls.

As long as it focuses on that and nothing more. e.g., a media person asking how come they called so many holding calls etc etc etc.

Not sure if this is a good idea, given the amount of verbal abuse directed at officials during the games, and particularly after a close game. Refereeing is always going to be imperfect, and I could easily see drunken louts screaming threats and obscenities at an official who has displeased them.

I'm like 99.99% sure they don't mean they're going to stand by their car afterwards and answer questions that fans may have as they walk through the parking lot. It would be during a post game presser for media only.

This could be interesting and something I'd like to see; would make officials more accountable:

@SUNMitchell: #CFL VP of Officiating Glen Johnson is considering making officials available following games to talk about controversial calls.

I don't like or agree with that idea at all.

Going over the game officiating after, with the correct officials? Yes, to recognize and correct mistakes.

To place them in the direct line of fire? No, not prudent.

That doesn't mean they are beyond criticism, but they get plenty of that, even when they are not wrong.

It's a tough gig, and only better teaching will help cut down on mistakes. ( and there will always be mistekas.)

I took this to mean officials will be made available to the media for interviews, not the fans/public. Though I suppose members of the media could also be drunken louts.

I'm like 99.99% sure they don't mean they're going to stand by their car afterwards and answer questions that fans may have as they walk through the parking lot. It would be during a post game presser for media only.

you don't sound too confident.

As an official, I'd be a little adverse to being put in front of the mics to have to defend my actions during a game.  There is a time to scrutinize what calls are made, but it shouldn't be then, and it shouldn't have to be in front of anyone in the media.  Explanations for things can be made public in other ways from the proper people. 

lol ya I'm pretty sure this would be just for the media.

I think most of us assumed it was only for the media. However, I'm not sure that certain media personal would be disciplined/aware enough to focus only on the controversial calls. It would have to be well moderated. Also there would have to be commitment and patience with all parties involved that this would be a work in progress.with some kinks along the way. If perfection is expected right away , there will be some very disappointed people.

I took this to mean officials will be made available to the media for interviews, not the fans/public. Though I suppose members of the media could also be drunken louts.

I believe that is mandatory for the media.

I've always been under the impression that referees should be seen and not heard (outside of making the calls during the game). I don't believe they should let them talk to the media afterwards. They really have nothing to gain. Post game interviews with referees, are the refs trying to become the stars now? 

I've always been under the impression that referees should be seen and not heard (outside of making the calls during the game). I don't believe they should let them talk to the media afterwards. They really have nothing to gain. Post game interviews with referees, are the refs trying to become the stars now? 

Pretty sure 99.99% of officials wouldn't enjoy this.

Pretty sure 99.99% of officials wouldn't enjoy this.

I think it might make them look a little more incompetent in the big picture. Are these guys trained to speak to the media? could you imagine a paul friesen type of guy asking these guys questions? It wouldn't be good at all. 

I think that ref should be mic when talking to control centre during a challenge. The Arena Football League does this it gives you a better idea what they are looking at and why/how they come up with the call.