Province Giving Stadium Additional $1.5 Million

Sorry if this is already posted - I didnt see it anywhere:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/Province-giving-stadium-15M-for-upgrades-257552351.html

The province has kicked in another $1.5 million to cover the cost of some additional pavement work and improvements to the concessions areas at the Investors Group Field, raising the final cost of the new stadium to $210 million.

BBB Stadium Inc., the group that managed construction of the new home for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, said today it has closed a deal with builder Stuart Olson Dominion Construction Ltd. on the final price tag.

The group also said water damage sustained by the spring melt in the stadium’s interior suites has been repaired at a cost of approximately $450,000, and "the stadium is ready for the first event."

BBB Stadium Inc. will have to pay a $50,000 deductible on its insurance policy to cover the damage.

The stadium hosts a friendly match between Canada’s national women’s soccer team and the U.S. women’s team on May. 8.

***$450,000 is a lot of damage.  Im curious as to what consession improvements were made.

$450,000 is not a ton of damage for a facility the size of IG Field.  It's clear that construction wasn't carried out properly in some places... I'm just hoping that in spending the $450,000, the insurance company had the problem areas addressed, and didn't just replace damaged finishings.

Regardless of how you look at this, we got a brand new stadium that will last for 40 50 years plus for 210 million.

Hockey arenas cost more, Regina Stadium will be more.

210 million is good value really.

Im actually amazed that it was built for so little to be honest.

I'll take this stadium over the one in Ottawa and Hamilton that's for sure.

I understand some people will complain cuz that's what they do but... 210 million for something that will be around for 50 years plus.. No issues here.

Honestly, our tax dollars go towards lots of really ridiculous things that none of us have any use for.

I'm not going to mention one thing that i think is a huge waste of tax payer money because that will open up a can of worms I'm sure.

So I found out today the reason why Miller and crew decided not to openly explain what the cause of the water loss was and how bad it was.  Simply put they didn't want to play the blame game.  They just wanted the issue resolved and for everyone to move on from this.  It backfired however as the media ended up playing the blame game on the Bombers.  I kinda like Wade's s approach on this.  He had the choice of going to the media and pointing fingers at the builders and architects and demand answers but instead tried to play it low key and just get it fixed.  He could have been a little warmer to the media and maybe let them in for a peek and maybe in return they wouldn't have made such a big deal over it.  Instead they ran with it as a worst case scenario. 

All suites are fixed and the cause of the water loss is being fixed right now.  I won't go into details on all of it as I was asked not too but the cause was not lazy workman ship nor did it have anything to do with how fast they had to get the place done.  It was a simple product failure and they are looking into a different product to make the necessary fixes.  

Well maybe that's true... but on 1290 yesterday morning some anonymous caller who claimed to have worked at the stadium said his other anonymous friend said that it would be smart to not sit in the entire west side of the stadium in the future!!!  That's the kind of anonymous panic-mongering I can get behind.

The fact that the hosts didn't laugh him off the air, but took that comment seriously made me turn the radio off.

So I found out today the reason why Miller and crew decided not to openly explain what the cause of the water loss was and how bad it was.  Simply put they didn't want to play the blame game.  They just wanted the issue resolved and for everyone to move on from this.  It backfired however as the media ended up playing the blame game on the Bombers.  I kinda like Wade's s approach on this.  He had the choice of going to the media and pointing fingers at the builders and architects and demand answers but instead tried to play it low key and just get it fixed.  He could have been a little warmer to the media and maybe let them in for a peek and maybe in return they wouldn't have made such a big deal over it.  Instead they ran with it as a worst case scenario. 

All suites are fixed and the cause of the water loss is being fixed right now.  I won't go into details on all of it as I was asked not too but the cause was not lazy workman ship nor did it have anything to do with how fast they had to get the place done.  It was a simple product failure and they are looking into a different product to make the necessary fixes.  

Miller can play hardball with local news media - he's got the sports media in his pocket; but at some point he'll need future favours from them. Most media folks have long memories and Miller stiff-arming them could have future consequences. At some point he'll need them. Actually, I'm sure of that!

I'm pretty sure city building inspectors will (or already have) inspect the defective areas of the stadium if there's a hint of public concern.

NOTE: Building inspection is a city responsibility not provincial. If it were provincial I'm sure Selinger would turn a blind eye - even at the risk of spectators potentially exposed to danger!

I'm pretty sure city building inspectors will (or already have) inspect the defective areas of the stadium if there's a hint of public concern.

NOTE: Building inspection is a city responsibility not provincial. If it were provincial I'm sure Selinger would turn a blind eye - even at the risk of spectators potentially exposed to danger!

Thank God you have the gift of foresight!

Headline: "Stadium Collapse Kills 15,000 In Winnipeg. Premier Warned But Ignored Danger". Really??? put lives in danger? I doubt that. It's all ******* bullshit until guys like that moronic caller come out of hiding & say it publicly with his name & face to the camera for the world to see. Otherwise STFU.

Headline: "Stadium Collapse Kills 15,000 In Winnipeg. Premier Warned But Ignored Danger". Really??? put lives in danger? I doubt that. It's all ******* bullshit until guys like that moronic caller come out of hiding & say it publicly with his name & face to the camera for the world to see. Otherwise STFU.

C'mon Al. You of all these lemmings have more sense than that. You're not saying you're against proper safety inspections like the other posters are you?

C'mon Al. You of all these lemmings have more sense than that. You're not saying you're against proper safety inspections like the other posters are you?

Al can't answer you right now. 

He's enjoying a fresh cup of Twinings Lemming Tea and reading another chapter in Ernest Lemminway's soon to be released "A Farewell To Arms" - a behind the scenes look at the Bombers search for a QB who can throw the ball.

No Nate, I'm saying that anyone can phone a radio call in show & make claims. But when they won't come forward & reveal themselves yet make allegations of building safety then I think  it's complete garbage. When I said STFU, I didn't mean you. I meant the guy making the allegations on the radio anonymously.

No Nate, I'm saying that anyone can phone a radio call in show & make claims. But when they won't come forward & reveal themselves yet make allegations of building safety then I think  it's complete garbage. When I said STFU, I didn't mean you. I meant the guy making the allegations on the radio anonymously.

Me be one and the same hence the hackles up?

;)

Me be one and the same hence the hackles up?

;)

Well, my comments weren't directed at Nate so I don't want him to think they were. 

Confucius said that there are two kinds of farmers: one will go into the farmyard looking for eggs and finding them, the other will go out looking for chicken poop and finding it. We see things not as they are, but as we are.

I think it's funny that people who clearly have no clue how, when and why buildings are inspected are pounding some conspiracy drum about the stadium being structurally unsafe.

I'll be the first to tell you that our stadium build cut a million corners and isn't anywhere near as state of the art as many would suggest (some people really love steel arches), but there's nothing structurally dangerous about it, and if there was it wouldn't even get a conditional occupancy permit for any event as the city engineers do not fool around.

Confucius said that there are two kinds of farmers: one will go into the farmyard looking for eggs and finding them, the other will go out looking for chicken poop and finding it. We see things not as they are, but as we are.

It's obvious Confucious was hinting at the answer for the age-old question of why the chicken farmer crossed the road.

I think it's funny that people who clearly have no clue how, when and why buildings are inspected are pounding some conspiracy drum about the stadium being structurally unsafe.

I'll be the first to tell you that our stadium build cut a million corners and isn't anywhere near as state of the art as many would suggest (some people really love steel arches), but there's nothing structurally dangerous about it, and if there was it wouldn't even get a conditional occupancy permit for any event as the city engineers do not fool around.

voice of reason in a sea of insanity.. Couldn't agree more.