Grade the Bombers on Day 1 of Free Agency

Mike

What grade would you give the Bombers for their work yesterday?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the Bombers on day 1 of Free Agency

B

Like the addition of Randle, Kohlert, and Newman. 

They looked smartly at the whole picture before FA and addressed some needs in the roster..without going crazy.

Moore is a surprise addition for me, but a welcome one.

Never had Butler as a realistic addition, but certainly appreciated the effort.

As to the O-Line situation…I think there were only fillers there and we really couldn't improve in the way we have to.

(2013 - Mark DeWitt FA signing.) quite the difference?

B+ Getting Bourke or Butler would have been nice but I don't think we had a real shot at them in the first place. I like the guys we signed and am not disappointed about not getting one of the OL who were available. I'm going to wait to see how the rest of the off-season goes before getting too worried about the o-line.

I voted B. Butler or Perrett were they only way they would get an A/A+

I realize that's pretty lofty - but such is the nature of an A+

Too lofty since Perrett wasn't a free agent. ;)

I was editing - until then you had no business reading.  :)

It's a C+ for me.  Randle and Moore are upgrades.  Kohlert is the same and Newman is a special teams guy IMHO.  

Our NI strength is actually worse than last year right now.  We didn't pick up any NI starters to replace Muamba's contribution as our best NI last year and we didn't get any O lineman. 

Losing Sorenson only hurts because that leaves us with Kowalczuk as our centre or converting one of the other NI O Lineman or expecting our 2nd overall pick to start right away.  Losing Stewart isn't that big a deal either.

Laurent is still in play though.  If we pick him up, I'd upgrade us to a B+.  Add in Matthews and it would go to an A.

There seems to be universal agreement around the league that we paid too much for Moore. I read in the Vancouver Province this morning that he's getting $185k/yr plus the use of a car.

Maurice Price is apparently getting 180K from Cal and I wouldn't be surprised if Dressler gets more than both of these guys when he comes back.

I thought it was a B, if we can bring in Ted Laurent that jumps to an A+. Bringing back Matthews would be nice, and we could also use a backup Canadian receiver along with our obvious O-Line issues.

So by now, we all know the moves we made. Throw in the Friday deal and the one we have yet to announce.

I DB Chris Randle

I REC Nick Moore

NI REC Rory Kohlert

NI DB Graig Newman

Consider who we targeted, who was actually available and what the results were.

One we have yet to announce?

There wasn't much to pick from.  Reality is a guy like Butler was going to BC (where he lives) or Hamilton (closest to where he grew up) as long as they put reasonable offers on the table.  Bourke has spent his career in Montreal, as long as they are willing to pay him, he's not leaving.  Given that we added a solid starting DB while moving away from Jovon and Stewart, added one of the top 2 available QB's, retained our #2 NI receiver and added a good young NI with upside in the secondary, Walters did pretty well.

For all the people that feel the need to win a bidding war, we signed Nick Moore too, who I'm not a huge fan of but a guy that will make some plays, some mind-boggling drops and hopefully develop into a top receiver in the league with us.

We lost Muamba, which was unavoidable, but didn't lose anyone else important, and I think it could be argued that some of the guys we let leave are addition by subtraction at this point.

A

Summary of Walters' presser:

- Walters says in his press conference that the O-Line is not a quick fix and that they will follow the Montreal model in drafting one or two O-Line guys a year and develop them slowly.

- Our first pick in the draft is 'very valuable' and is not be being considered in any trades.

- Doesn't know what Desjardins wants for Glenn indicates to me he hasn't talked about him…yet.

- Not concerned about their running back situation, they have their eye on some running backs from their free agent camps.

- The term 'augment the roster' through free agency was used and I think that's exactly the path what we followed this time.

- The mini camps will filter the best players for the final contracts from the Bombers when they show up at the main camp.

- The theme on defence is versatility. Flexible players to fit in.

http://www.bluebombers.com/video/index/id/94631

C

Acquiring Randle I thought was a good trade and a positive for the team, Kohlert was expected back so no upgrade there. Signing Moore to be our #1 was a good move, but still not crazy about having to overpay for him, Newman is a good special teamer, haven't seen anything else. A bit disappointed that the team didn't sign Parker or Butler, we still need a good starting safety, more Canadian depth and talent at the receiving position would have been good and our O-line still sucks.

Have we gotten any better so far ? I actually think our overall talent pool is a bit worse actually, but there still lots of time to bring in young american talent and the CFL draft is only months away.

I gave them a C+. I actually thought Walters would be more aggressive than he was & really go after Butler & Bell to continue to address the needs of our secondary. But he went to Hamilton. Josh Bell signed in Calgary today & I thought we'd have been hard on his trail as well. I realize that Walters can't sign everyone but if we could have signed Butler who is a baller would have really been sweet. Walters got Moore which I'm extremely happy with as well as Randle & Willy so I'm okay with it. Glad to see Kohlert back. 

I gave them a C+. I actually thought Walters would be more aggressive than he was & really go after Butler & Bell to continue to address the needs of our secondary. But he went to Hamilton. Josh Bell signed in Calgary today & I thought we'd have been hard on his trail as well.

Penton said we offered Butler the most money, he just didn't want to come here.

As for Bell, I really don't see the need after getting Banks & Randle.

I gave a C+ as well, but Laurent & Matthews would turn that into an A+. Unfortunately, I don't see us getting Laurent.

I give a C to all the posters who gave a C+ and under. 

I think expectations were to fix the whole roster by getting everybody we identified as targets more or less.

I guess we were supposed to have

a) improved our NIs to enable us to carry on for the year,

b.) improve all the O-Line with cardboard pieces,

c) get Bourke and/or Butler.

Some said getting Kohlert didn't count

Someone even mentioned we didn't replace our NI starter Muamba.

It was all or nothing it seems.

Tough crowd.

I think expectations were to fix the whole roster by getting everybody we identified as targets more or less.

Tough crowd.

Thats the problem with getting people to assign a grade without specifying the criteria.   Everyone will grade it differently.  

Also, when I grade, I view a C as average.   So a C+ grade is slightly above average which is where I thought we were.   I also didn't include Willy or Randle because they were acquired through trades.  Ask to grade the overall off season so far and I would go up to a B to B+.

If you look at what we lost compared to what we gained in FA (I include Muamba, Mathews, etc even if no one else signed them), then I think we are slightly above average.  Not great, but not bad either.

Thats the problem with getting people to assign a grade without specifying the criteria.   Everyone will grade it differently.  

Also, when I grade, I view a C as average.   So a C+ grade is slightly above average which is where I thought we were.   I also didn't include Willy or Randle because they were acquired through trades.  Ask to grade the overall off season so far and I would go up to a B to B+.

If you look at what we lost compared to what we gained in FA (I include Muamba, Mathews, etc even if no one else signed them), then I think we are slightly above average.  Not great, but not bad either.

Mike did specify "Consider who we targeted, who was actually available and what the results were."  but that is limited criteria. (I'd give him a C on criteria-specifying)

And, i don't see why Randle and Willy cannot be included because it was part of the goal to secure these guys before Free Agency, thereby giving us the advantage.

That's as good as Free Agency sniping as it gets.

I can kinda see your point, but I still wouldn't want you as a teacher marking my grades.**  :)

** And yes, I'm way past that stage.

Tough crowd.

I give you an F, for low expectations.

Getting Kohlert doesn't improve the team over where it was last year.  Just maintains it.  I thought we did a good job of playing Ottawa and getting Kohlert back, but the fact remains that it is hardly an "addition".

Why is replacing Muamba unrealistic?  There were two free agent starting Canadian linebackers out there.  I'm sure you will try to tell us all that it was "impossible" for us to land them, but they were out there, we swung and missed.  Like I said, A for effort, but C+ for results.

An F would have been landing no one.  Getting an import receiver wasn't a huge need, but we landed a really good one so that gives us a C right there.  Getting Kohlert back and signing Graig Newman helps with Canadian content and upgrades us to a C+.  Randle fills a need in the secondary and I liked our aggressiveness in landing him, so I could maybe stretch for a B... but I stick with a C+ because we lost our starting Centre and didn't pick up any OL at all.  IF we're planning on moving Morley to center, it would have been nice to have a Myddelton or Andrew Jones to compete with our young guys for the right guard spot, so we aren't left with our pants down if Pencer and Swiston can't hack it.

To achieve an A or A+, I would have liked to see us land one of the stud Canadians and improve the depth on the OL... also, landing kicking help and another import defender would have been nice.

Besides, a C+ isn't that bad.  Many of our trusted professionals in society made it through university on C's and C+'s.