Grade the Bombers on Day 1 of Free Agency

Mike

What grade would you give the Bombers for their work yesterday?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the Bombers on day 1 of Free Agency

I give you an F, for low expectations.

Getting Kohlert doesn't improve the team over where it was last year.  Just maintains it.  I thought we did a good job of playing Ottawa and getting Kohlert back, but the fact remains that it is hardly an "addition".

Why is replacing Muamba unrealistic?  There were two free agent starting Canadian linebackers out there.  I'm sure you will try to tell us all that it was "impossible" for us to land them, but they were out there, we swung and missed.  Like I said, A for effort, but C+ for results.

An F would have been landing no one.  Getting an import receiver wasn't a huge need, but we landed a really good one so that gives us a C right there.  Getting Kohlert back and signing Graig Newman helps with Canadian content and upgrades us to a C+.  Randle fills a need in the secondary and I liked our aggressiveness in landing him, so I could maybe stretch for a B... but I stick with a C+ because we lost our starting Centre and didn't pick up any OL at all.  IF we're planning on moving Morley to center, it would have been nice to have a Myddelton or Andrew Jones to compete with our young guys for the right guard spot, so we aren't left with our pants down if Pencer and Swiston can't hack it.

To achieve an A or A+, I would have liked to see us land one of the stud Canadians and improve the depth on the OL... also, landing kicking help and another import defender would have been nice.

Besides, a C+ isn't that bad.  Many of our trusted professionals in society made it through university on C's and C+'s.

Ha, well, it wouldn't be the first time I got F'd for my expectations. Not to worry.

The Kohlert reference you made only illustrates my point.

He wasn't on the roster Monday, but Tuesday he was. Roster made better.

This was about Free Agency.

Who did we target, who did we sign.

As for Canadian replacements for Muamba, surely you don't mean Emry and Ferri. 

So, I guess I don't know who you reference.

I'd prefer to say I had realistic expectations where defined targets are achievable.

There were pieces out there. We got some, and some we didn't.

I certainly didn't expect to hit on all the targets. I'm no Ricky Ray.

What I saw, in what we targeted, four or five guys is pretty darned good.

You don't agree.

C'est la vie.

Did you mean Butler, not Ferri?

No. The poster didn't name name the two Canadian starting LBs in his post, so I named two.

If he meant Butler, well I consider him a safety first and if he was serious on whiffing on him, then what can I say?

Thats the problem with getting people to assign a grade without specifying the criteria.   Everyone will grade it differently.  

Also, when I grade, I view a C as average.   So a C+ grade is slightly above average which is where I thought we were.   I also didn't include Willy or Randle because they were acquired through trades.  Ask to grade the overall off season so far and I would go up to a B to B+.

If you look at what we lost compared to what we gained in FA (I include Muamba, Mathews, etc even if no one else signed them), then I think we are slightly above average.  Not great, but not bad either.

Mike did specify "Consider who we targeted, who was actually available and what the results were."  but that is limited criteria. (I'd give him a C on criteria-specifying)

And, i don't see why Randle and Willy cannot be included because it was part of the goal to secure these guys before Free Agency, thereby giving us the advantage.

That's as good as Free Agency sniping as it gets.

I can kinda see your point, but I still wouldn't want you as a teacher marking my grades.**  :)

** And yes, I'm way past that stage.

Fair enough, I should have reread Mike's original post, as he did specify some criteria and included Randle.

I did teach for a few years at Red River a while back, and I was probably easier on the students then I have been on the Bombers this season.

What I meant by expectations is what each grade level means and to what level would you grade them.  Another poster just mentioned that they didn't consider a C+ a negative rating, while others clearly do.

While I am personally not happy to get a C, I have seen some students who were ecstatic to get them.

Is a C simply meeting your expectations?   Or would you consider that a B?

I see us as just above average.   Take away one of Randle or Moore and I think we are below average.  Add in one of the "big" NI FA and I think we are far above average.

The good news is that the only ranking that really matters is the one at the end of the season.  Lots of time and games to be played before we see where this edition of the Bombers ends up.

The critical element for this team is the need to seriously upgrade their NIP talent they have failed to do that.

Again. Short of a shotgun to the head, we did EVERYTHING we could.. most money offered is what i keep hearing to butler and id assume bourke if he even fielded ours.. Myddleton is no better then Greaves or swiston and emery passed on us as well..

so whaaaat pray tell could we have done?

The critical element for this team is the need to seriously upgrade their NIP talent they have failed to do that.

Again. Short of a shotgun to the head, we did EVERYTHING we could.. most money offered is what i keep hearing to butler and id assume bourke if he even fielded ours.. Myddleton is no better then Greaves or swiston and emery passed on us as well..

so whaaaat pray tell could we have done?

Pro sports is a results oriented business, you don't get a gold star for trying.  Do I applaud their effort, do I think this organization did what they could to sign those guys ... from all accounts, yes.  They made their best pitch and the top NI free agents went elsewhere.

I'm not down on the leadership or the direction of the club.  

That still doesn't change the fact that we missed out on guys who would have helped us immensely.  Canadian starters is still a huge question mark for this team.   So for that reason, I can't see giving a grade of A or B.    Sometimes a C+ is just simply the best you can do. 

No. The poster didn't name name the two Canadian starting LBs in his post, so I named two.

If he meant Butler, well I consider him a safety first and if he was serious on whiffing on him, then what can I say?

Ferri isn't Canadian. Yes I was referring to Butler and Emry. Either one could start at linebacker for us.

I asked because Ferri is an import.