Grade the Bombers on Day 1 of Free Agency

Mike

What grade would you give the Bombers for their work yesterday?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the Bombers on day 1 of Free Agency

So by now, we all know the moves we made. Throw in the Friday deal and the one we have yet to announce.

I DB Chris Randle

I REC Nick Moore

NI REC Rory Kohlert

NI DB Graig Newman

Consider who we targeted, who was actually available and what the results were.

I think I'd go with a B grade.

We got what probably amounts to, at worst, 3 starters and at best, 4 and I'd say all 4 of the players we brought in were guys that other teams wanted so it's not like we picked up scraps. Add in the fact that 2 of them are Canadian and I'd be giving us an A had we not missed out on the big fish we really wanted (Butler)

Not addressing the OL hurts, but I don't think Myddelton was an answer so I wouldn't complain too much about that. I do want to see it addressed in a trade though ... somehow.

I gave a C+.   We were one of the teams that had the most holes and the most money to spend in FA.   I'm happy with what we got, but I would say it is average for what we needed.

Our OLine and Canadian starters are still looking weak.   If we could have nabbed a Bourke / Emery / Laurent / or Butler, then that would have been huge. 

I gave a C+.   We were one of the teams that had the most holes and the most money to spend in FA.   I'm happy with what we got, but I would say it is average for what we needed.

Our OLine and Canadian starters are still looking weak.  

Agreed. Nick Moore was a big name & will help our team, but import receiver may not have been our most pressing need. I am happy to have him though. Same with Randle.

I gave them a C+... but an A for effort.

I feel like they did a good job of getting out there and getting some guys signed and at least letting the players of the league know that Winnipeg is back in business.  But we are hurting for Canadian starters and we didn't really gain any, outside of Kohlert.  On top of that, we lost one, in Justin Sorensen.

We're also gambling on potential to some extent.  Nick Moore has only had one good season. Chris Randle has only been in the CFL for two seasons, as part of a good, stable defence.  Kinda funny, if you watch the Nick Moore highlight video that CFL.ca put up, you can see Moore beating Randle several times.  Signing Graig Newman is purely based on potential.  I like all these players but for a really high grade I would have preferred to see the Bombers spend money on some more established veterans.

I'd still like to see them bring in an experienced linebacker, and maybe kick the tires on Keron Williams, Jock Sanders, Anthony Parker, and Etienne Legare.  We'll see who gets a real NFL shot, but I'd be interested in any of the guys out there who are kinda on the bubble - Ted Laurent, Chris Matthews, Cordarro Law, Kory Sheets...

i'm giving them B+ overall.

- addressed the loss of Jovon/Stewart and (arguably) upgraded the CB position by signing Randle

- addressed (potential) ratio issue in receiving corp by signing back Kohlert

- addressed (potential) ratio issue and (arguably) upgraded the safety position by signing Newman

- addressed the (potential) loss of Matthews by signing Moore

OL issue was not addressed (yet) but i think no anwser on that on the available freagent OLs

hope we still have signings to do today

There seems to be universal agreement around the league that we paid too much for Moore. I read in the Vancouver Province this morning that he's getting $185k/yr plus the use of a car.

Maybe, but he's our property now. I'm not going to curse him for making a couple thousand too much if he scores touchdowns in bunches.

I think it's probably fair to say that if you're a free agent and more than one team wants you, you're overpaid.

There seems to be universal agreement around the league that we paid too much for Moore. I read in the Vancouver Province this morning that he's getting $185k/yr plus the use of a car.

Well at least management is no longer of the opinion that good import receivers grow on trees.

B+ Getting Bourke or Butler would have been nice but I don't think we had a real shot at them in the first place. I like the guys we signed and am not disappointed about not getting one of the OL who were available. I'm going to wait to see how the rest of the off-season goes before getting too worried about the o-line.

I voted B. Butler or Perrett were they only way they would get an A/A+

I realize that's pretty lofty - but such is the nature of an A+

Too lofty since Perrett wasn't a free agent. ;)

I gave them an "A", because I included Willy and Banks as part of the process.   IMHO, they needed to change the culture of the locker room, and they did this very well.

I believe that Kohlert was an example of the Bombers management being prepared for the Ottawa expansion draft....something that I felt was lacking in previous management. 

If they'd have gotten Bourke, I'd have given them an A+ 

I gave them a B- we had the problems of QB, Canuck O-linemen, linebackers and starting Canadians. We now have a credible QB, actually a poorer O-line (unless Neufeld and Pencer blossom), no improvement in linebacking (would have loved to see Butler here) and somewhat better Canadian talent. The story may not be done, though, so the final grade ought to wait a bit.

Maybe, but he's our property now. I'm not going to curse him for making a couple thousand too much if he scores touchdowns in bunches.

I think it's probably fair to say that if you're a free agent and more than one team wants you, you're overpaid.

What I used to say when everybody in Bomberland called every FA overpaid is there's no such thing.  A contract signed as recently as yesterday is the very definition of market value.  Not that I think this is a slam dunk signing.  Just sort of the cost of doing business.  

We got what probably amounts to, at worst, 3 starters and at best, 4 and I'd say all 4 of the players we brought in were guys that other teams wanted so it's not like we picked up scraps. Add in the fact that 2 of them are Canadian and I'd be giving us an A had we not missed out on the big fish we really wanted (Butler)

Not addressing the OL hurts, but I don't think Myddelton was an answer so I wouldn't complain too much about that. I do want to see it addressed in a trade though ... somehow.

Agree that Myddleton wasn't the answer.  I'd actually consider him an average-to-below-average guard across the league. 

I'm still not sold that missing out on Craig Butler meant we missed out on a big fish.  We signed his backup, whom many are saying could be ready to start.  We've also got Sofa, who underperformed massively last year.  A determined offseason could bring him back hungry to compete and contribute.

I'm grading it a B; because we got Chris Randle (starting HB), Nick Moore (27-yr old with high ceiling who has displayed ability to play SB at high level), Graig Newman (could start at S for us, but his floor is that he's an ST demon), and brought Kohlert back into the fold (2nd NI WR).  We're also changing the culture by letting Jovon and BStew walk.  If we're including Willy and Banks, it's a B+.

An A+ would have meant Josh Bourke, and that didn't happen, but Ted Laurent and/or the return of Chris Matthews could make it an A.

Agree that Myddleton wasn't the answer.  I'd actually consider him an average-to-below-average guard across the league. 

I'm still not sold that missing out on Craig Butler meant we missed out on a big fish.  We signed his backup, whom many are saying could be ready to start.  We've also got Sofa, who underperformed massively last year.  A determined offseason could bring him back hungry to compete and contribute.

I'm grading it a B; because we got Chris Randle (starting HB), Nick Moore (27-yr old with high ceiling who has displayed ability to play SB at high level), Graig Newman (could start at S for us, but his floor is that he's an ST demon), and brought Kohlert back into the fold (2nd NI WR).  We're also changing the culture by letting Jovon and BStew walk.  If we're including Willy and Banks, it's a B+.

An A+ would have meant Josh Bourke, and that didn't happen, but Ted Laurent and/or the return of Chris Matthews could make it an A.

Armchair .. you summed up my thoughts as well .. I gave us a B .. would have considered an A / A+ had we been able to landed a ratio busting NI ..

I gave it a B+. I like the Canadians we added, and Moore and Willy I think will be a nice fit together. It's unfortunate we weren't able to land Butler, and I don't think Bourke was realistic given how quickly he re-signed with Montreal.

This team has a lot of holes, and you can only address so much in a day. I like the pieces added and see zero reason to doubt that more positive moves ahead are coming.

I gave it a B+. I like the Canadians we added, and Moore and Willy I think will be a nice fit together. It's unfortunate we weren't able to land Butler, and I don't think Bourke was realistic given how quickly he re-signed with Montreal.

This team has a lot of holes, and you can only address so much in a day. I like the pieces added and see zero reason to doubt that more positive moves ahead are coming.

This.

Rome wasn't built in a day .. all we can do is make the incremental changes necessary to compete ..

It's a low B+ for me.  We made some good moves.  I stress that part of my grade is not just because of the results, but also the activity and the involvement, which is something we haven’t seen too much of in the past.  It’s a clear indication that were striving to make improvements through every avenue possible. 

Rome wasn't built in a day 

Hey I said that they other day. Get your own damn analogies! Kidding of course.