Jovon Johnson unsure he'll be back with Bombers

gbill2004

I think it's time to move on from Jovon. Looks like the Bombers may be thinking the same: http://www.goerie.com/article/20140207/SPORTS0509/302079940/John-Dudley%3A-Johnson-set-for-camp-then-free-agency

He's unsure how serious the Blue Bombers are about bringing him back despite his being named a CFL East All-Star defensive back four times and winning the league's most outstanding defensive player award in 2011.

After picking off 22 passes over his first four seasons with Winnipeg, Johnson had only one interception in each of the past two seasons. He said that's created a misconception that, at age 30, his game has slipped.

"I think a lot of people determine how good a season you have by the number of interceptions," Johnson said. "But that's only one part of it. I had 62 tackles last season, which is the second most I ever had. And I played about half the season at safety, which changes a lot of things."

Johnson also forced one fumble and recovered two, one of which he returned 48 yards for a touchdown.

"I have plenty of football left," said Johnson, who spent one season with the Steelers in 2006 but turned down subsequent reserve/futures contract offers from the Dolphins, Jaguars and Bengals because he felt he deserved at least some guaranteed money. "I haven't really thought much about it yet, but I know I'll play somewhere in 2014."

He's got a bad attitude too. He's too much of a "me first" type player.

I really don't agree with that. He played every position in the secondary the last few years and tried linebacker just to try and help the team win. Hefney was a me first guy for sure but I don't get that vibe from JJ. I think he's arrogant and has an ego but name me a defensive back who doesn't... He liked his stats but again name me a football player who deep down doesn't love their stats. I think people just looked for a reason to hate on the guy for poor performance and the me first thing stuck. 

Time to move on, loved the fact that JJ was willing to give SAM a try due to the issues we had there at the time, but his play has dropped off considerably. Only so many opportunities can be given before the team has to put in someone better, whomever that ends up being.