Jovon Johnson unsure he'll be back with Bombers

gbill2004

Jovon said he was in the gym working out when the Bombers called.

In this day and age, you dont have your phone with you at the gym? Hell, i do..
Me too. I'm listening to music on my iPhone. My guess is he just decided not to pickup when he saw who it was on his caller ID.
Yuppers.. Sour grapes from jj me thinks..
And with the amount of time Jovon spends on Twitter, I guarantee he has a smartphone.

Hah yea no kidding.. At least Walters didn't do it via twitter lol

Jovon said he was in the gym working out when the Bombers called.

In this day and age, you dont have your phone with you at the gym? Hell, i do..
Me too. I'm listening to music on my iPhone. My guess is he just decided not to pickup when he saw who it was on his caller ID.
Yuppers.. Sour grapes from jj me thinks..
And with the amount of time Jovon spends on Twitter, I guarantee he has a smartphone.

Hah yea no kidding.. At least Walters didn't do it via twitter lol

i hope he did it like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8woxeGJveA

I work with clients every day. Rule #1 -- unless your wife is 9 months pregnant, no phone. 

Phones have no business on the gym floor. 

People using their phone in the gym are literally the worst people on the planet. I have an iPod (blech...) for my tunes, and other than that...NOTHING. If I see someone texting in the middle of their "workout", I want bouncers to evict them from the premises...

I go to the gym and have my phone with me at all times. And if someone came up to me and told me to stop texting, I'd laugh.  :D

I have 45 second rest periods in between each set and not only do I use my phone to time them, what does it matter if I use it in between?

I'd rather laugh at the people who use straps for anything but deadlifts and the people who walk around with ILS.

I work with clients every day. Rule #1 -- unless your wife is 9 months pregnant, no phone. 

People using their phone in the gym are literally the worst people on the planet. I have an iPod (blech...) for my tunes, and other than that...NOTHING. If I see someone texting in the middle of their "workout", I want bouncers to evict them from the premises...

What about using the club hairdryer to dry one's nuts ?

You some straaaaaaaange individuals.. What does my texting or use of mp3 capabilities on my phone do to you and your workout, exactly?

"Training" is more mental than physical. It's connecting the nervous system with the intended muscles to perform a physical task. 

The brain is notoriously singular. There is scientific evidence that multi-tasking is a myth. All you really do when performing two things at once is perform two things sub-optimally. 

When you blast your ears with stimulus (music), you are giving brain something else to consider/accommodate -- the feel of the weight and the goals of the exercise loses focus. 

There are exceptions of course. When doing something "robotic" like cardio or (like an Olympic athlete doing a routine for the 10000th time) or trying to reach a more relaxed mental state (like a QB before a game) music has merit. 

But for most? Totally counterproductive. 

I go to the gym and have my phone with me at all times. And if someone came up to me and told me to stop texting, I'd laugh.  :D

I have 45 second rest periods in between each set and not only do I use my phone to time them, what does it matter if I use it in between?

I'd rather laugh at the people who use straps for anything but deadlifts and the people who walk around with ILS.

I wouldn't tell you what to do. But if you asked for advice I it would be the first thing I'd tell you. 

I don't have a problem with electronics for recording sets and reps. I use an iPad with clients. But for me, when I'm hitting it? A 99 cent notebook, then dump the info into my iPad later.

As for rest intervals, buy a fricken Casio. $10. 

I agree about the straps.  

What about using the club hairdryer to dry one's nuts ?

After 25 years of seeing that I decided to try it. 

It was not fun. I do not get the appeal. And the smell of bacon attracted a bunch of stray cats. 

I find music helps to motivate me throughout my workout.  Without music I find it more difficult completing a workout.  So I agree, working out is very mental, but you need to learn what works best for you; some music may help and others may find it counterproductive. 

Exactly, but once you reach a point where training is no longer something you "have" to do and is something you "love to do" your methods have to change. 

Thats why it's a shame to me when you read about athletes who hate working out. If they learned to love the process as much as the end goal, their results would improve. 

I find music helps to motivate me throughout my workout.  Without music I find it more difficult completing a workout.  So I agree, working out is very mental, but you need to learn what works best for you; some music may help and others may find it counterproductive. 

Exactly, but once you reach a point where training is no longer something you "have" to do and is something you "love to do" your methods have to change. 

Thats why it's a shame to me when you read about athletes who hate working out. If they learned to love the process as much as the end goal, their results would improve. 

Getting way off topic, but what you're saying actually holds a lot of merit. There are certain lifts I do where I can't help but put down the phone, put down the music and just focus. If I'm just going through the motions and hitting the free weights, the music is probably in and I'm probably fiddling around. But if I'm doing something where I have to rack plates and get in the zone, I treat it more business like because I enjoy it more and take it seriously.

Cardio though ... if I couldn't have my music during a cardio session, I'd probably off myself.

If you're working with someone - obviously no phone.  But I use mine for music (no ipod, just use grooveshark...).  Otherwise, I think I would go insane.  I too don't really understand people who text though.  

And wait, dudes really blow dry their nuts...?  Gross... 

If you're working with someone - obviously no phone.  But I use mine for music (no ipod, just use grooveshark...).  Otherwise, I think I would go insane.  I too don't really understand people who text though.  

I think it's how you apply for the senior discount at my gym, because I've never seen anyone under 50 doing it.

Cardio is horrific.

I only do it 8 weeks out of the year and only when I absolutely NEED to. And yes, I use music/distraction to get me through it. 

But I lift weights most days and do some martial arts stuff. Both have a "cardio" effect, and the latter is the epitome of mental engagement. 

And obviously I watch what I eat. 

Hey don't knock it until you try it. Well...not in your case Robyn. It's what keeps me fresh all day long. :D

And as if you guys all work out. Bunch of fat bastards. ;)

If you're a personal trainer, then yes I can see where the problem lies if one of your clients is constantly using an electronic device, but if you're just a normal gym rat, why would me being on my phone (texting, listening to music,etc..) bother you?

It doesn't bother me. I really don't give a rats what someone else does, provided it doesn't affect me. 

But if you are not happy with your progress -- and you asked me -- this would be among the first things I'd change.