Winnipeg trades Kito to BC for Korey Banks

Mike

I know Wally likes riding on top of the wave and all, but do you think that Wally would be willing to just cut a respected leader and DB like Banks though, even at 34?  Even if he's the team's 3rd best corner, that seems like a bad team move to me.  Unless he's lost a couple of steps and is no longer good enough to stay on the field.  True leaders are in short supply... as long as Banks can still ball on the opposition's 3rd/4th best receiver, I'm good with this trade.

Yeah he trades them to someone else... the issue here to me is that more and more it seems like Walters pays sticker price for guys in trade, sticker price is sucker price. 

One of the biggest parts of being a great GM is creating the foundation of a successful franchise.  Until Walters accomplishes that, top free agents that consider more than just money are going to blackball Winnipeg.  So the conversation becomes how do you create that as fast as possible? 

Even if the word was Banks would have been out on the street on Feb 15th, Winnipeg's not the prettiest destination right now, so we'd have had to pony up top dollar, and still might get passed up by an aging vet FA looking to win now.  Bottom line, we're paying Poblah to get a leader to Winnipeg, without having to outbid others or be a winning team to do so.

I'm not saying wait for him to be a FA, just don't give Wally what he wants, give him less. 

So I had no use for Poblah just because receivers who can't catch don't appeal to me but man.... we have to give up potential (which some GMs over value a lot) for a 34 year old player? Seems steep to me. 

I don't see Poblah as potential anymore, and trading him for a proven player is a step in the right direction. 

Joe Mack loved 'potential' and look where it got us.

I just think though, that if Wally is looking at moving Banks it's because he's one step away from cutting him, think that Walters could have played a bit more hard ball rather than letting Wally dictate the move. Some people love to take chances on those potential guys I suspect that there could have been some better asset management gone on. I don't give 2 shits about losing Poblah but so far I am not convinced that Walters is a good trader. 

I know Wally likes riding on top of the wave and all, but do you think that Wally would be willing to just cut a respected leader and DB like Banks though, even at 34?  Even if he's the team's 3rd best corner, that seems like a bad team move to me.  Unless he's lost a couple of steps and is no longer good enough to stay on the field.  True leaders are in short supply... as long as Banks can still ball on the opposition's 3rd/4th best receiver, I'm good with this trade.

Yeah he trades them to someone else... the issue here to me is that more and more it seems like Walters pays sticker price for guys in trade, sticker price is sucker price. 

Sticker price is only in your own mind...It's all about supply and demand

Would of loved to get Banks here, say....3 years ago.

That said......if ever a team was crying out for some attitude and veteran leadership....it's this one.   Banks is the kind of guy who can be the de facto assistant (for a rookie HC)....in the room.

As far as Poblah.....look like Tarzan, play like Jane.   Tracking the ball, in the air and catching it....ongoing problems.  If Wally can't turn on the light bulb, Kito's next gig.... will be working out of a cubicle, somewhere.....

I don't understand how the Bombers overpaid or paid sticker price.............. Banks for Kito Poblah seems like a much better deal for us.

Geroy went for an import receiver with man boobs, cut in training camp by the Lions, and a 3rd rounder.

Banks is probably worth a 4th or 5th rounder.  If we think Poblah is worth the same or less, it's a good trade for us.  Clearly BC sees something in Poblah, otherwise they would have just taken a pick, which would cost them much less.

Geroy went for an import receiver with man boobs, cut in training camp by the Lions, and a 3rd rounder.

Banks is probably worth a 4th or 5th rounder.  If we think Poblah is worth the same or less, it's a good trade for us.  Clearly BC sees something in Poblah, otherwise they would have just taken a pick, which would cost them much less.

Maybe, who knows........... one would think the market for a receiver that can't catch wouldn't be worth Banks, even if he is getting old.

I don't understand how the Bombers overpaid or paid sticker price.............. Banks for Kito Poblah seems like a much better deal for us.

If this draft is as bad as most make it out to be, a pick last year was more valuable than it would be this year.

I think Banks has more to offer us than Simon gave the Riders.

I just think Walters if he played his cards right could have got Banks for cheaper and then turned around and sent Poblah somewhere for a different return. Asset management is a big thing and I dunno if Walters is all that great at it, but part of this assessment is based on the other trades he has made where he's displayed a similar tendency to just pay whatever the other team wants. Having to add the pick to the Hall trade still bugs me. 

I just think Walters if he played his cards right could have got Banks for cheaper and then turned around and sent Poblah somewhere for a different return. Asset management is a big thing and I dunno if Walters is all that great at it, but part of this assessment is based on the other trades he has made where he's displayed a similar tendency to just pay whatever the other team wants. Having to add the pick to the Hall trade still bugs me. 

Yeah, I really liked the first two trades he made but with this one and the Neufeld one it feels like he's been giving up too much.

Yeah, I really liked the first two trades he made but with this one and the Neufeld one it feels like he's been giving up too much.

Re the Neufeld trade. Would you trade a 2nd round draft pick for a starting NI OL? I sure would, in a heartbeat based on the state of the Bombers OL.

All of Walters trades seem to be win-win. That's why he's been able to make so many trades. It also sets up positive relationships with other GMs to help facilitate future trades.

Bomber fans seem to want to get something for nothing. Those trades happen once in a while, but aren't the norm. Walters has a plan and I've liked every one of his trades to date.