Winnipeg trades Kito to BC for Korey Banks

Mike

So I had no use for Poblah just because receivers who can't catch don't appeal to me but man.... we have to give up potential (which some GMs over value a lot) for a 34 year old player? Seems steep to me. 

I don't see Poblah as potential anymore, and trading him for a proven player is a step in the right direction. 

Joe Mack loved 'potential' and look where it got us.

I just think though, that if Wally is looking at moving Banks it's because he's one step away from cutting him, think that Walters could have played a bit more hard ball rather than letting Wally dictate the move. Some people love to take chances on those potential guys I suspect that there could have been some better asset management gone on. I don't give 2 shits about losing Poblah but so far I am not convinced that Walters is a good trader. 

Not a big fan of this. Granted Kito's time here has been a bit of a let down but I'm not particularly a fan of giving up a young non import for an aging import. I'd hate (and wouldn't be surprised to see) Kito do well with the system that B.C. has and Lulay throwing him the rock.

I kind of sort of agree with this, in as much as I think this is worst case scenario for us. I think there's also a best-case scenario, and what happens is just as likely to be somewhere in the middle. I think we have to assume Walters knows what he's doing and has other plans at NI Reciever.

Can't believe Wally took Kito for anything, let alone Banks, maybe senility is starting kick in. Banks at the very least should provide leadership in the backfield/lockerroom, something this team doesn't have a lot of.

So I had no use for Poblah just because receivers who can't catch don't appeal to me but man.... we have to give up potential (which some GMs over value a lot) for a 34 year old player? Seems steep to me. 

I don't see Poblah as potential anymore, and trading him for a proven player is a step in the right direction. 

I just think though, that if Wally is looking at moving Banks it's because he's one step away from cutting him, think that Walters could have played a bit more hard ball rather than letting Wally dictate the move. Some people love to take chances on those potential guys I suspect that there could have been some better asset management gone on. I don't give 2 shits about losing Poblah but so far I am not convinced that Walters is a good trader. 

I kind of feel like Poblah was one step away from getting cut too though.  He's injured a lot and he can't catch and because of that I wouldn't put him ahead of any of the non-import receivers that are currently on our roster.  (Other than the new guys that have just recently signed, because I don't really know how good or bad they are.) If Kolhurt re-signs, it would be tough to get him on the field. 

Obviously there is some risk with this trade. Trading a young NI for an aging vet.

It's possible that Kito could become the next Kamau Peterson, but I just can't see it.

Hopefully Banks can bring some more leadership that is dearly needed on that Defence.

I kind of feel like Poblah was one step away from getting cut too though.  He's injured a lot and he can't catch and because of that I wouldn't put him ahead of any of the non-import receivers that are currently on our roster.  (Other than the new guys that have just recently signed, because I don't really know how good or bad they are.) If Kolhurt re-signs, it would be tough to get him on the field. 

Obviously there is some risk with this trade. Trading a young NI for an aging vet.

It's possible that Kito could become the next Kamau Peterson, but I just can't see it.

Hopefully Banks can bring some more leadership that is dearly needed on that Defence.

I just think the smart play was to give up a low draft pick for Banks and try and get a pick back for Poblah that may or may not be higher than the one you gave up. Requires playing some hardball but I think a skilled GM could pull it off. I like that Walters identifies the targets he wants in trades and goes and gets them, I just think he needs to get better at playing the game or he's going to wind up being taken advantage of by guys like Wally. 

I like this trade.  

KIto was a spare part who looked like a football player, but didn't play like one.  Tons of potential that never became anything.

Banks is a proven commodity who will become the leader of our defence.

Wally had renegotiated Banks' salary every off season, but didn't this year, which pissed Banks off and he wasn't quiet about it.  Basically asked to be traded and Wally did.  The first rumour I heard was a low round draft pick from the Bombers for Banks.  Kito may be an upgrade on that as a special teams player.

I know Wally likes riding on top of the wave and all, but do you think that Wally would be willing to just cut a respected leader and DB like Banks though, even at 34?  Even if he's the team's 3rd best corner, that seems like a bad team move to me.  Unless he's lost a couple of steps and is no longer good enough to stay on the field.  True leaders are in short supply... as long as Banks can still ball on the opposition's 3rd/4th best receiver, I'm good with this trade.

Things really come full circle.  We could have taken a young Korey Banks in the Renegade dispersal draft, and instead we took an aging Val St Germaine.  Now we're getting an aging Korey Banks for a young receiver. 

A tried and tested leader at bare minimum, for a young receiver that has shown signs of regression, instead of development.

Things really come full circle.  We could have taken a young Korey Banks in the Renegade dispersal draft, and instead we took an aging Val St Germaine.  Now we're getting an aging Korey Banks for a young receiver. 

A tried and tested leader at bare minimum, for a young receiver that has shown signs of regression, instead of development.

I'd agree with this observation and add, as I've said all along with Kito, great skill set but the times he did play seemed very nervous on the field for some reason, impeding his ability to use his skill set appropriately. Probably the main reason, as other posters have said, he's a great practice player. If the coaches in BC can coach him to be calm and just play the game the way he knows too, then watch out. I've always been a begrudging fan of Korey Banks, so welcome aboard, he'll bring some confidence to the locker room and to the field for sure.  

Everyone should probably keep in mind that while Poblah had potential, he also had a contract that was nowhere near what he is actually worth.

The two kind of balance out into an average piece. Poblah was making over 100k a year.

And BC wanted him.

It'll be interesting to see what Poblah can do in an environment that develops players if he can stay healthy.