Winnipeg trades Kito to BC for Korey Banks

Mike

Trades with BC amount to:

TO WPG: Banks, Foster

TO BC: Pierce, Poblah

I would take that any day of the week, and twice on Sundays.

Did they re-sign Foster? I hope we don't.

The Bombers didn't use Foster properly. Foster is a burner and best suited at WR. Yet he played the slot in all the Bomber games. He seemed uncomfortable in the slot.

Good trade in my books, we need a few vets on this team. This team was really young during Mack's time and with poor coaching it was really double trouble.

With Banks at least they have a guy that doesn't require his hand being held and he can go out and play.

So I had no use for Poblah just because receivers who can't catch don't appeal to me but man.... we have to give up potential (which some GMs over value a lot) for a 34 year old player? Seems steep to me. 

I don't see Poblah as potential anymore, and trading him for a proven player is a step in the right direction. 

Joe Mack loved 'potential' and look where it got us.

I just think though, that if Wally is looking at moving Banks it's because he's one step away from cutting him, think that Walters could have played a bit more hard ball rather than letting Wally dictate the move. Some people love to take chances on those potential guys I suspect that there could have been some better asset management gone on. I don't give 2 shits about losing Poblah but so far I am not convinced that Walters is a good trader. 

I know Wally likes riding on top of the wave and all, but do you think that Wally would be willing to just cut a respected leader and DB like Banks though, even at 34?  Even if he's the team's 3rd best corner, that seems like a bad team move to me.  Unless he's lost a couple of steps and is no longer good enough to stay on the field.  True leaders are in short supply... as long as Banks can still ball on the opposition's 3rd/4th best receiver, I'm good with this trade.

Yeah he trades them to someone else... the issue here to me is that more and more it seems like Walters pays sticker price for guys in trade, sticker price is sucker price. 

The last time we picked up a proven leader from BC (Barrin Simpson) it played a large part in making our defence, which had been the worst in the league the previous year, respectable. Let's hope history repeats itself.

How old was Barrin when he came to the Bombers?

Granted, a lot younger. But in Banks's case I'm hoping it's the leadership that works out.

So I had no use for Poblah just because receivers who can't catch don't appeal to me but man.... we have to give up potential (which some GMs over value a lot) for a 34 year old player? Seems steep to me.

I don't see Poblah as potential anymore, and trading him for a proven player is a step in the right direction.

I just think though, that if Wally is looking at moving Banks it's because he's one step away from cutting him, think that Walters could have played a bit more hard ball rather than letting Wally dictate the move. Some people love to take chances on those potential guys I suspect that there could have been some better asset management gone on. I don't give 2 shits about losing Poblah but so far I am not convinced that Walters is a good trader.

I know Wally likes riding on top of the wave and all, but do you think that Wally would be willing to just cut a respected leader and DB like Banks though, even at 34? Even if he's the team's 3rd best corner, that seems like a bad team move to me. Unless he's lost a couple of steps and is no longer good enough to stay on the field. True leaders are in short supply... as long as Banks can still ball on the opposition's 3rd/4th best receiver, I'm good with this trade.

Yeah he trades them to someone else... the issue here to me is that more and more it seems like Walters pays sticker price for guys in trade, sticker price is sucker price.

But sometimes that's what it takes to get a deal done. If Wally released Banks, which was a real option, do you really think Banks would have decided to come to Winnipeg on his own as a FA?

I know Wally likes riding on top of the wave and all, but do you think that Wally would be willing to just cut a respected leader and DB like Banks though, even at 34?  Even if he's the team's 3rd best corner, that seems like a bad team move to me.  Unless he's lost a couple of steps and is no longer good enough to stay on the field.  True leaders are in short supply... as long as Banks can still ball on the opposition's 3rd/4th best receiver, I'm good with this trade.

I hear what you are saying. Keep in mind, he's new at this.  I am hoping that with some experience that is a skill he can learn.  He is not getting fleeced in any of these trades so that is a good start, but like any rookie, he needs to show growth. 

Evidently, Ryan Phillips is going to miss Banks:

Ryan Phillips@ryan_4real21 10 mins

My brother from another mother @24Banks will be missed. He's one of the best players, teammates, friends and brothers I have ever played wit

Ryan Phillips@ryan_4real2110 mins

@24Banks best wishes to you and your football future. We boys way beyond football so you know what it is But it's a sad day for BC Lion fans

Ryan Phillips@ryan_4real219 mins

@24Banks as well as teammates. My guy has hall of fame credentials and is without a doubt the BEST CFL WEAKSIDE HALFBACK THIS LAST DECADE.

Keep in mind, until Walters establishes himself, he's going to need to pay "sticker price" in some cases because there are some moves he just can't afford to miss on. He needs to be very careful in getting the moves that he wants completed to go through until he establishes a foundation that will allow him the luxury of passing on certain deals.

One of the biggest parts of being a great GM is creating the foundation of a successful franchise.  Until Walters accomplishes that, top free agents that consider more than just money are going to blackball Winnipeg.  So the conversation becomes how do you create that as fast as possible? 

Even if the word was Banks would have been out on the street on Feb 15th, Winnipeg's not the prettiest destination right now, so we'd have had to pony up top dollar, and still might get passed up by an aging vet FA looking to win now.  Bottom line, we're paying Poblah to get a leader to Winnipeg, without having to outbid others or be a winning team to do so.