What "they" Said...

From the Hamilton Spectator:

"When the opposition dresses one man who will start next week, it's difficult to get any kind of definitive read on the 2013 Hamilton Tiger-Cats"

"Not sure if the CFL can do anything about this, but you can't have a team coming into the final exhibition game with virtually no starters in the dressing room. One of the contributors to that is the short time between the last pre-season games and the first in-season one. The league has to look this one directly in the eye, to see if it can prevent this insult to the paying fans. No one learned much about anything Thursday night, which isn't much return from half the available exhibition games."

"The Blue Bombers brought just 41 players to Guelph — one less than the roster limit for the regular season, never mind the usually bloated rosters of exhibition play — and were without a single marquee player. Their No. 1 quarterback, Buck Pierce, didn't even make the trip and many of the players in the Bomber lineup may have just played their last professional."

Toronto did not bring many starters, we still got smoked. What's the excuse for that?

Trying to read into a team's strengths via exhibition play is not productive. The fact is, that at the end of the first quarter, we were up 3-0. After that, pretty much all of the starters were out of the game.

Guys, feeling smug about losing a game by 52 points? Come on. Who's really laughing at who here?

I think in your never ending quest to find something to be outraged about you've missed the point here. The point of posting this is to remind people that while the game was a blowout it certainly doesn't prove anything about the team for this season because there were no starters there. 

Guys, feeling smug about losing a game by 52 points? Come on. Who's really laughing at who here?

I don't know about you but I'm laughing at all those freaking out over losing a preseason game with exclusively our second and third stringers in.

There's a sentiment among people here that it was only an exhibion game. That we left our starters at home but we'll be alright so who cares?  I know I don't have to remind anyone that next week this team faces the Montreal Alouettes & Anthony Calvillo. I don't feel that Burke & his staff has this team prepared or ready to play. Too much worry about injuries to key people. Too much coddling of Pierce. Buck hasn't played much football since 2011 & now he'll be expected to shake off the rust, go out & perform at a high level against a very good football team. Our vets should have played together as a unit for the first half. I see this as approach as a huge mistake. I guess I'll find out if I'm right or wrong in a week's time. Sure hope I am wrong.

There's a sentiment among people here that it was only an exhibion game. That we left our starters at home but we'll be alright so who cares? 

no absolutely not, you are completely missing the point. No one has said we'll be alright so who cares. What people are saying is, STOP FREAKING OUT OVER GETTING SPANKED IN A GAME WHERE NO STARTERS PLAYED! You want to bring up questions about the team that's fine, there's lots of debate to be had there, but to use last nights game as proof of anything regarding the upcoming season is just a really terrible idea. 

no absolutely not, you are completely missing the point. No one has said we'll be alright so who cares. What people are saying is, STOP FREAKING OUT OVER GETTING SPANKED IN A GAME WHERE NO STARTERS PLAYED! You want to bring up questions about the team that's fine, there's lots of debate to be had there, but to use last nights game as proof of anything regarding the upcoming season is just a really terrible idea. 

Well, like I said we'll find out in less than a week. Let's hope we play well & win the game. That's all we can hope for, right? :)

what a hilarious bunch of crap.. they crying because we brought our auditioning players to try out and earn a job? suck it whiners, its preseason.. its evaluation.. give us more preseason games then..

what a hilarious bunch of crap.. they crying because we brought our auditioning players to try out and earn a job? suck it whiners, its preseason.. its evaluation.. give us more preseason games thena..

Don't think it was whining. I think they just made an observation that it was difficult to get a good handle on each team's strengths. Same thought process would be used when observing a limited playbook.

im laughing because some of the Bomber fans who are panicking after 2 pre-season game losses where the startes barely played on most the rookies who played are not here after 10pm saturday...

im laughing because while it's Burke discretion to use the pre-season game mainly to give gameday reps to the depth guys and give full game chances to the rookies... some Bombers fans dont understand it

im laughing because while Burke accomplished his intention to evaluate the 41 guys that we have in hamilton game... the ticats are crying foul because they didnt evaluate accurately theirs

There seems to be an inference here that because they didn't play any startes in last night's pre-season game that there's no reason to be pessimistic about our chances this year.  Which isn't true.  There's plenty of reason to be pessimistic about our chances this year. 

Hey guys, here's an idea. How about we actually play a regular season game or two, with our true roster and full playbooks before crapping our pants like a bunch of infants. I swear this city, and fan base has the most unintelligent, uninformed "supporters" in professional sports. Mike Kelly may have been out to lunch on a lot of things, but when he said this city has the most schizophrenic fans in the CFL, he was bang on the money.

Sure there is a good possibility that it may be a tough season, but at the same time it may also be a good one as well. Does anybody remember our pre-season record in 2011 when we went to the Grey Cup without searching for it? Of course not. Why? Because it doesn't bloody hell matter.

****!

Hey guys, here's an idea. How about we actually play a regular season game or two, with our true roster and full playbooks before crapping our pants like a bunch of infants. I swear this city, and fan base has the most unintelligent, uninformed "supporters" in professional sports.

Sure there is a good possibility that it may be a tough season, but at the same time it may also be a good one as well. Does anybody remember our pre-season record in 2011 when we went to the Grey Cup without searching for it? Of course not. Why? Because it doesn't bloody hell matter.

****!

Actually I think we has a pretty bad pre season showing that year because I remember the pitchforks being out until we started winning real games.

There seems to be an inference here that because they didn't play any startes in last night's pre-season game that there's no reason to be pessimistic about our chances this year.  Which isn't true.  There's plenty of reason to be pessimistic about our chances this year.

Good to see someone can look at the blight side of things.

im laughing because some of the Bomber fans who are panicking after 2 pre-season game losses where the startes barely played on most the rookies who played are not here after 10pm saturday...

im laughing because while it's Burke discretion to use the pre-season game mainly to give gameday reps to the depth guys and give full game chances to the rookies... some Bombers fans dont understand it

im laughing because while Burke accomplished his intention to evaluate the 41 guys that we have in hamilton game... the ticats are crying foul because they didnt evaluate accurately theirs

Hope you're still laughing after our game with Montreal next week. #ToBeRevisited.

Hope you're still laughing after our game with Montreal next week. #ToBeRevisited.

Oh, is it the Grey Cup next week?  Nope, wait, still 17 more games after that one.  Win or lose I'll still be on an even keel.  Maybe start panicking after 0-4 but if we're 0-1. you'll have to excuse me for not freaking out.  And if we're 1-0. I won't be planning a parade, either.  It's one game.

Oh, is it the Grey Cup next week?  Nope, wait, still 17 more games after that one.  Win or lose I'll still be on an even keel.  Maybe start panicking after 0-4 but if we're 0-1. you'll have to excuse me for not freaking out.  And if we're 1-0. I won't be planning a parade, either.  It's one game.

And friends, it's really as simple as that. Welcome to football.