Mike O'Shea...

gbill2004

I actually like the idea of O'Shea as HC but only because he's the GM's choice.......isn't that how functional teams operate?

That's a great point. 

With Walters basically a done deal, this will be a really telling move. 

I don't want either as the next HC, but from an organizational perspective, it HAS to be the GM's choice. 

Can someone explain to me why its such a big deal to have Miller involved in football decisions, such as hiring a head coach? I'm still not getting it.

I'm looking for reasons other than "Because other teams don't do it that way".

Because it creates the conditions for a toxic environment.  Hire someone to do a job, a job where that person needs to make decisions, and undermine their decision-making by pressuring them to make the decision you want them to make while you are basically holding a gun to their head (employment-wise).

Can someone explain to me why its such a big deal to have Miller involved in football decisions, such as hiring a head coach? I'm still not getting it.

Because it creates the conditions for a toxic environment.  Hire someone to do a job, a job where that person needs to make decisions, and undermine their decision-making by pressuring them to make the decision you want them to make while you are basically holding a gun to their head (employment-wise).

Further to that, look at the scenario it creates in a year or two.

Miller forces KJ onto Walters, the team goes sub-500 two years straight and then Walters contract comes up. 

The first thing he is going to say is "you basically tied my hands by forcing your HC onto me."

People want/need to be evaluated based on their ability to do their jobs, independent of interference. 

i've known ever since we got Chris Jones that we'd be losing Osh someday in the not too distant future.

to whomever gets him, he'll be bringing leadership that demands accountability, emotional intensity and encyclopedic knowledge of defences and special teams... what he'll need is a guru for the offence. a Chapdelaine type. 

Khari was a poor OC and a middling QB coach and he gives me no reason to believe that he's a good choice for you.

That's not necessarily true...there are all sorts of different scenarios of that both in business and sports management. At the moment Miller is running at least two successful businesses, he has hired people to run them, and if he were sticking his nose in and preventing them from operating...they would not be around long..but they have been. There are also different scenarios involving teamwork at the top...so it definitely does not have to be cut and dried as some are indicating. 

That's not necessarily true...there are all sorts of different scenarios of that both in business and sports management. At the moment Miller is running at least two successful businesses, he has hired people to run them, and if he were sticking his nose in and preventing them from operating...they would not be around long..but they have been. There are also different scenarios involving teamwork at the top...so it definitely does not have to be cut and dried as some are indicating. 

Which is exactly why I said it creates the conditions for a toxic environment.  If you have a solid management structure, collaboration can work.  If you have the mess of an organization we've have for decades, it probably won't.  Collaboration works when there are defined roles and responsibilities in a supportive environment. When you make it well-known that you will be involved with football operations and cut a key for a novice manager, it doesn't look good.

Which is exactly why I said it creates the conditions for a toxic environment.  If you have a solid management structure, collaboration can work.  If you have the mess of an organization we've have for decades, it probably won't.  Collaboration works when there are defined roles and responsibilities in a supportive environment. When you make it well-known that you will be involved with football operations and cut a key for a novice manager, it doesn't look good.

It may not look good considering the state of the bombers last year. But things are changing, and certainly doesn't mean they have to stay like that. Give it a chance I say!

Penton & Bob Irving reporting O'Shea still favourite to be Bombers next head coach. I think he'd be perfect for the job. Glad Walters is pushing back on Khari. Hope Miller lets his GM do his job.

This is complete and total speculation that it's Walters/O'Shea vs. Miller/Khari....ridiculous that we're treating it as fact.

In yesterday's news, Kirk Penton, reporting on the Wednesday Night Panel 1 program, that Khari is only interested in leaving Regina if it's for a HC job.

More to follow I guess.

http://www.cjob.com/audio-on-demand/

At about the 5 minute mark.

And Doug Brown stating, more or less, "who does he think he is."

Not sure if there's a tongue planted there or not. I would say or not.

these are the current pool for OC and DC , assuming we end up with O'Shea as HC

OC options:

Khari Jones - leading candidate in 'Peg but recently said to not leaving SSK if its not for HC job

George Cortez - happy with SSK but name is linked to BC opening

Jacque Chapdelaine - linked to SFU HC job

Paul LaPolice -  running for OTT HC but linked to BC opening also

Marcel Bellefuille - running for OTT HC

Doug Berry - linked to EDM? will he comes back to 'Peg?

Bob Dyce - will he comes back to 'Peg?

Rick Worman - rumored to be hired as 'Peg scout, will he go back to OC job?

Doug Sams - name not linked anywhere atm

-- no OC xp --

Marcus Brady - linked to EDM opening?

Jason Maas - is he ready to be an OC?

Anthony Calvillo - someone might suggest him but i think he's too early for the OC job

DC options:

Tim Burke - leading candidate in TO

Kavis Reed - name not being linked anywhere atm, has connection with O'Shea

Greg Marshall - name not being linked anywhere atm

Mark Nelson - name not being linked anywhere atm

Rich Stubler - has connection with O'shea but will he leave BC?

Orlondo Steinauer - has connection with O'Shea but will he leave HAM?

Rich Campbell - said to be not leaving CGY

Noel Thorpe - will he leave MTL?
Richie Hall - will he leave SSK?

Jeff Reinebold - will 'Peg fans be happy with him?

Casey Creehan - ugh

- no DC xp -

not sure who goes here

In yesterday's news, Kirk Penton, reporting on the Wednesday Night Panel 1 program, that Khari is only interested in leaving Regina if it's for a HC job.

More to follow I guess.

http://www.cjob.com/audio-on-demand/

At about the 5 minute mark.

And Doug Brown stating, more or less, "who does he think he is."

Juggernaut.gif

Penton & Bob Irving reporting O'Shea still favourite to be Bombers next head coach. I think he'd be perfect for the job. Glad Walters is pushing back on Khari. Hope Miller lets his GM do his job.

This is complete and total speculation that it's Walters/O'Shea vs. Miller/Khari....ridiculous that we're treating it as fact.

People love to guess about these types of things.  Plus isn't it more entertaining to think that we have a GM and and CEO that are butting heads?

Well I'm glad you said it. Bugs me to no end that people are willing to treat this crap as fact. Isn't it funny how when it became apparent that Walters was the GM the rumours switched from Khari for HC to O'Shea for HC? Sounds to me like a lot of speculation prior to a GM being in place and once a GM was in place his choice is the front runner, is that not how it's supposed to be? But nooooooooo you all gotta be typical Bomber fans and run around like ******* talking about a conspiracy.