Mike O'Shea...

gbill2004

The point is, maybe Miller hired -- and likely, only interviewed -- the guy he knew he could tell what to do. 

I'm not buying that there's this big push back from Walters either. Frankly, I think Walters will do whatever the hell Wade tells him to do. 

Because....?

Because a year ago, Walters was a lousy ST coach...........today he is GM of the football club. 

Miller is taking a huge chance hiring him to GM. It could ruin Miller's name in the football community. 

If Miller just wanted to focus on the off-field stuff and not be involved in field ops, wouldn't he want someone in the GM chair that was more experienced?

Which leads me to think he wouldn't hire Walters if he couldn't exert considerable control over him and the day to day decisions. 

Bottom line, unless Walters is the Doogie Howser MD of the CFL, he owes Miller huge for this. Walters would be lucky to AGM anywhere else. 

But hey, if we win, I won't complain. 

You need to give Walters at least a little bit of credit.

Inexperience, and previous background aside, you look at him and you see someone who is younger, probably a little naïve, and you assume he is probably easily manipulated or convinced.  You see Miller coming in at will, pulling at the strings, making him do whatever he wants.

Any other GM wouldn’t even attempt to be worked that way, but Kyle Walters is so grateful for this opportunity that he’ll personally insert Miller’s hand up his you know what.  

I think most of us can actually take more reasonable approach to this and look at what he has done for the team in the short term and can relate to what he speaks of in his plans to improve the club.  You can sense the sincerity in his words, and know what his intentions are.  He’s not reading from any cue cards.

Walters has had the opportunity over the last few months to work with Miller and get a sense of his character and he probably gets it more than anyone else.  There’s a similar line of thinking between the two of them now of what needs to happen for the team to succeed, and how to get there.  Once the mutual understanding of each of their positions was established, making Walters the permanent GM was just a formality.

and can relate to what he speaks of in his plans to improve the club.  You can sense the sincerity in his words, and know what his intentions are.  He’s not reading from any cue cards.

This is really true, he said a lot of good things when he was introduced and you can tell that this guy wants to build a good team here and cares about doing what he thinks will get that good team. Any one of us could get up there and rattle off what needs to be done to do it so the things he actually pointed out don't mean a lot but I like the level of passion he seems to show. I don't think this guy is going to slack off when it comes to trying to get things on the right track. 

and can relate to what he speaks of in his plans to improve the club.  You can sense the sincerity in his words, and know what his intentions are.  He’s not reading from any cue cards.

This is really true, he said a lot of good things when he was introduced and you can tell that this guy wants to build a good team here and cares about doing what he thinks will get that good team. Any one of us could get up there and rattle off what needs to be done to do it so the things he actually pointed out don't mean a lot but I like the level of passion he seems to show. I don't think this guy is going to slack off when it comes to trying to get things on the right track. 

Well, in his first press conference, Mike Kelly showed a lot of passion too -- and then even more in the coach's call in show. 

Nah, kidding. I guess we'll see. 

I just wonder who is actually available as asst coaches... Seems like rookies or has-beens on the market right now

Yes, there are only candidates with experience and candidates without experience.  Good observation.

I see it as being very candid.

Funny

If you guys want to place Berry, Reed, Marshall, Stubler, Burke as 'non has-beens' that's cool...  but yeah, when we stop making ha ha's, please suggest an available assistant coach with experience that is appealing.  If Cortez is available as OC, that would be excellent... after that, maybe Mark Nelson as DC... after that - who is available who is not a hack?

You know, I'm at the point that if Mike O'Shea gives us a better chance to sign Collaros then bring him in as HC. I don't care how good or experienced a coach you are, if you don't have the pieces at key positions like QB you don't win. Kent Austin couldn't have brought the offense we had together. Get the centerpiece signed.... that's Collaros.

For us, Burke is a 'has-been'... he's not going from HC to DC.  Still waiting for some suggestions for up-and-coming experienced coaches who are available...  I actually doubt Cortez is available as OC.

But, really, those posts were all cute and funny... 

Right now, the only guy with some degree of experience available (IF we hire O'Shea) is Mark Nelson.  Otherwise, our entire coaching staff will be guys who have been freshly 'promoted' - just like it was when we hired Lapo.