Mike O'Shea...

gbill2004

The problem with O'shea is that he's such an Argo/Ti-Cat and in my bitterness I say leave all that trash in Southern Ontario.

But we are willing to bring in Khari who is currently a rider man...

But the difference is, Khari loves Winnipeg and wants to come back.

Just curious (and am being sincere...) what makes O'Shea a good candidate, other than the media saying so for every open job the last few years?

Biggest plus I see is that O'Shea is a proven CFL leader who transitioned into success in coaching.  And I don't think he's been linked to every head job the last few years... I do however remember him being linked to DC rumors.  Up and comer with an outside the Bomber org perspective. 

Tim Burke showed a serious leadership deficiency as our HC.  LaPo was a great offensive mind, but wasn't an assertive leader either.  We saw the results. 

I'm all for hiring a proven leader and surrounding him with good coaches.  We'll need a QB coach along with a new OC if we hire O'Shea; but I'd also argue we'd need one anyway.

O’Shea is a reasonable suggestion, but his actual desire to become a head coach at this point in his post-playing career in a little unclear to me. 

He may just be one of “those guys” teams interview now when they have an open head coaching gig, just to say they interviewed multiple people.   

Like the Rooney Rule? 

O how I love it when these tidbits of information come out and it makes some posters on here loo pretty stupid.  Yeah you know who you are. 

O'Shea has been one of my top candidates from Day 1.  Is he better than Khari?  Couldn't tell you but I like his sideline presence and his take no prisoners approach. Plus he seems to get the best out of his players.   

Can I get an Irony Alert on aisle 1?

I'm pleased with this news. O'Shea would be one of the few "first timers" I would like to see coach our depleted team, the other was Dave Dickenson. 

Help me understand (anyone) with clarity why our organization would again give the reins to a 'first timer' considering how it's gone with the last couple of choices? Yes, absoutley, experienced head coaches taking on another head coaching gig have surley shite the bed, but maybe we swing the pendulum back to experience and try it agaiin. No? Maybe the best of both worlds is to hire George Cortez who has a bit of both.

O how I love it when these tidbits of information come out and it makes some posters on here loo pretty stupid.  Yeah you know who you are. 

O'Shea has been one of my top candidates from Day 1.  Is he better than Khari?  Couldn't tell you but I like his sideline presence and his take no prisoners approach. Plus he seems to get the best out of his players.   

I'm pleased with this news. O'Shea would be one of the few "first timers" I would like to see coach our depleted team, the other was Dave Dickenson. 

Help me understand (anyone) with clarity why our organization would again give the reins to a 'first timer' considering how it's gone with the last couple of choices? Yes, absoutley, experienced head coaches taking on another head coaching gig have surley shite the bed, but maybe we swing the pendulum back to experience and try it agaiin. No? Maybe the best of both worlds is to hire George Cortez who has a bit of both.

I get the sentiment, but for me, hiring a past failure as head coach is no better than hiring someone with no experience.  In one situation, you're hoping someone who sucked before will be great now, while in the other situation you're hoping someone with no track record will be great now.  Sure, the past experience might help, but when you're talking about a 62 year old man... is he really going to change his approach that much this time around?  I doubt it.

I get the sentiment, but for me, hiring a past failure as head coach is no better than hiring someone with no experience.  In one situation, you're hoping someone who sucked before will be great now, while in the other situation you're hoping someone with no track record will be great now.  Sure, the past experience might help, but when you're talking about a 62 year old man... is he really going to change his approach that much this time around?  I doubt it.

I get what you're saying but some former head coaches with past failures also have past successess. It's not that cut and dry when looking at whether a former head coach would be a good fit simply based on their most recent last tenure and/or age. Not certain on the validity of your statement about being 62 years old. I think your saying old dogs can't learn new tricks. In the same breath I could flip your argument around and suggest that a more seasoned age might be more inclined to know what to do this time (or at least who to surround themselves with) due to their knowledge gained over the years. And no, I'm not 62 years old yet. :-)

I get what you're saying but some former head coaches with past failures also have past successess. It's not that cut and dry when looking at whether a former head coach would be a good fit simply based on their most recent last tenure and/or age. Not certain on the validity of your statement about being 62 years old. I think your saying old dogs can't learn new tricks. In the same breath I could flip your argument around and suggest that a more seasoned age might be more inclined to know what to do this time (or at least who to surround themselves with) due to their knowledge gained over the years. And no, I'm not 62 years old yet. :-)

Yep, lots of different ways to look at it.  That's why I'd be interviewing guys from both camps - young up'n'comers and older guys who have had a shot at head coaching in the past.  Make a decision based on who seems to bring the most to the table right now... and that includes coaching philosophy, possible guys they would bring on as coordinators, etc.  It won't be an easy decision and there is no "slam dunk" candidate out there, IMO.

I like O'Shea as HC (or Khari) but its one or the other...  I do not want to see OShea as HC and Khari as OC - really want some vet asst coaches if we have another rookie - who is available not too sure...  definite no to Berry, a tentative 'maybe' to Bellefuile - we didn't look that bad with him and Max Hall

Right now, I could see

OShea - HC

MB - OC

KJ - QC/Asst OC

Just curious (and am being sincere...) what makes O'Shea a good candidate, other than the media saying so for every open job the last few years?

For me, I just like the guy as a person and think he has always come across as a strong leader... I can't really point to anything other than that and his recent success as a special teams coordinator.

I'd also be on board with Khari Jones as HC and Mike O'Shea as DC if that is what is going on here. O'Shea might have realized no one will hire him as HC with only ST coordinator experience, and Chris Jones isn't going anywhere... So he could come here to be the DC.

So aside from his success as a special teams coordinator on a team that historically has had good special teams .. there's nothing else?  I don't ask to be glib .. I'm one of those people who is curious about *WHY* O'Shea would be a good choice as Head Coach.   I don't see the appeal myself .. especially for a team that's struggled (for the better part of a decade) to find an offensive identity.

For me, I just like the guy as a person and think he has always come across as a strong leader... I can't really point to anything other than that and his recent success as a special teams coordinator.

I'd also be on board with Khari Jones as HC and Mike O'Shea as DC if that is what is going on here. O'Shea might have realized no one will hire him as HC with only ST coordinator experience, and Chris Jones isn't going anywhere... So he could come here to be the DC.

So aside from his success as a special teams coordinator on a team that historically has had good special teams .. there's nothing else?  I don't ask to be glib .. I'm one of those people who is curious about *WHY* O'Shea would be a good choice as Head Coach.   I don't see the appeal myself .. especially for a team that's struggled (for the better part of a decade) to find an offensive identity.

The head coach isn't going to give this team an offensive identity, that is the job of the offensive coordinator.  The argument that we need an offensive-minded head coach to fix the offense is one that just doesn't fly with me.

I think we need a strong LEADER, more than anything else.  And no one will dispute that as a player and a coach, O'Shea has been a great leader.  His experience as a coach is certainly limited but when you stack him up against other coaching candidates that have been floated out there, like Khari Jones, I think he is right on the same page as them.  But to be honest, my preference is based on a gut feeling about the man as an individual more than anything else.  I can't speak for the media or anyone else though.

Atomic...excellent post.  The head coach doesn't necessarily have to be the best at X's O's but he does need to be a leader and have the respect of his players.  

Just O'Shea's sideline presence seems to show that he has the leadership qualities.  But again my opinion is just based on what I can see and what I've seen from him since he entered the league.   Never met him and never sat down with him and discussed his coaching philosophy. 

The head coach isn't going to give this team an offensive identity, that is the job of the offensive coordinator.  The argument that we need an offensive-minded head coach to fix the offense is one that just doesn't fly with me.

I think we need a strong LEADER, more than anything else.  

I want our Head Coach to let the people he hires do their thing. However, I still want him to be on the game planning for any particular team, not to meddle, just to be involved.

I want our HC to know what the hell he is doing on the sidelines.

I've seen enough of signs on the sidelines and puzzled looks and extremely poor time management and challenges.

So yes, to echo what you and BFFC are saying, I want a leader who is ready to assume the role of the man who calls the shots, and everybody on the team knows it.

(Oh, and no cheat sheets)

O'Shea has a ton of playing experience, has played on teams with many of the premier QBs in the CFL (Dunigan, Flutie, McManus, Allen, and NFL all time QB Rating Leader, Kerwin Bell).  He's played with/for some of the CFLs most outstanding coaches/GMs Don Matthews, Jim Barker, Ron Lancaster, Kent Austin, Pinball Clemons, Rich Stubler, and Eric Tillman.  We've got to assume some of that experience/talent/knowledge/leadership rubbed off on O'Shea. 

He's definitely shown he knows the intricacies of the CFL game, knows how to play (MV Canadian), and knows how to have a long and storied career.  I think he'd be a great pick-up. 

O'Shea would be a massive risk, but I believe he'd be the type of coach I want.  I don't want a guy who will have a hand in one pie and barely know what the other two pies taste like.  We need a manager, not an offensive coordinator called a head coach.  O'Shea doesn't have any experience managing a team, that's the risk.  He also has a bit of a Kavis streak with the goofy rah-rah crap that tends to wear thin and doesn't work for a lot of players but we could do a lot worse.