Mike O'Shea...

gbill2004

not sure why as he does have some decent credentials but for some reason i dont like O'shea as a HC..

I have no idea why some fans like O'Shea over Khari. Based on what?

KJ returning to his former home after being gifted a job that he is simply not qualified for/not ready for by old buddy/current business partner screams Reinbald 3.0. 

I just don't  understand the O'Shea  thing. I really don't. Has he ever been a linebacker coach with the Argos or just special  teams? How Miller can think of hiring a coach with such limited experience is something I don't get. When did he retire, about 3 seasons ago? I'm not saying O'Shea can't be successful but after the season we just had why are we turning to a neophyte coach with just a few years of experience coaching thinking somehow that he can turn the team's fortunes around. We  don't know if O'Shea can even handle being a head coach. If Miller blows this hire it could permanently cripple this team & send it spiralling into bankruptcy if crowds turn away because of another bad season. So much at stake here that it is ridiculous.

The problem with O'shea is that he's such an Argo/Ti-Cat and in my bitterness I say leave all that trash in Southern Ontario. 

Lawless is now saying we'll be asking for permission to talk to Jeremy O'Day.  Even though they're looking at them for different jobs (O'day for GM), I'd rather have Argo/Ti-Cat trash than Rider trash!

I just don't  understand the O'Shea  thing. I really don't. Has he ever been a linebacker coach with the Argos or just special  teams? How Miller can think of hiring a coach with such limited experience is something I don't get. When did he retire, about 3 seasons ago? I'm not saying O'Shea can't be successful but after the season we just had why are we turning to a neophyte coach with just a few years of experience coaching thinking somehow that he can turn the team's fortunes around. We  don't know if O'Shea can even handle being a head coach. If Miller blows this hire it could permanently cripple this team & send it spiralling into bankruptcy if crowds turn away because of another bad season. So much at stake here that it is ridiculous.

Jones or O'Shea, it's a calculated risk either way but for different reasons.  Each have their own set of characteristics which would be appealing.  It wouldn't be fair to dismiss one and not the other with just what we know.    

Has he ever been a linebacker coach with the Argos or just special  teams?

I have to disagree with Iso on this point.  Being a Specialty Teams Co-ordinator is > being a linebacker coach.  (I've been both, albeit at the amateur level)   IMHO being a STC is more complex than being a DC, as a DC gets more help from their position coaches.  The details involved in specialty teams are very complex, and the game day management is significant.   I've been extremely impressed with O'Shea as a STC, he's been creative, aggressive, and successful.  To be a STC, you need a detailed knowledge of the game, especially the nuances that are different from the small field game played down south.

The other factor is that O'Shea is a Canadian, and has a deeper understanding of our game.  This isn't an override, but it is a factor.

I really don't know who I would choose between Khari and O'Shea; I've got a deep appreciation for both.  I'd be happy to have both/either.

Simply put, what you want does not exist. Also, your criteria for what makes a good coach and what does not is faulty. I don't care if a guy has experience in the CFL as an offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator or coordinator of the dietary concerns for vegan defensive backs. It simply does not matter.

There is a reason why a guy like Pinball can retire and go straight to a head coaching position and it works while a guy like Burke with an absolutely sparkling resume as a coordinator falls short. It is not about your experience with playbooks or schemes. Above everything else, you have to be a leader and a manager of people. Experience in the CFL to be aware of the game and it's intricacies is important and a requirement no doubt, but it simply does not matter where that experience is from to me. If a guy can lead, he can lead. If he can't, he can't. The chain of development for a head coach is not like a quarterback where you move from 3rd string (positional coach) to 2nd string (coordinator) to starter (head coach), you either have the ability to lead or you do not.

Give me the right personality over the right resume every day

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Mike O'Shea is perfectly happy where he is right now and isn't ready to move on just yet.

Back in 2012 when he was interviewed by Hamilton and Saskatchewan he made these comments after being bypassed for those head coaching gigs.   

“Being a head coach has never been on the top of my list,” O’Shea said. “What happens is if you have a little bit of success and people need to fill a roster to do interviews to satisfy their knowledge of staff that are around, then you get a couple of phone calls.

“And when you get calls like that, you certainly have to go explore those opportunities. But to say I’ve always had that (being a head coach) on my list is untrue. What’s always been on the top of my list is winning a Grey Cup and if that means winning one as a head coach or special-teams co-ordinator ... that’s what is important to me.”

So he won his Grey Cup last season, and has 2 more seasons of experience since he said this.  Has his mindset now changed?

http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/2229535-mike-o-shea-returns-as-argos-special-teams-co-ordinator/

Call me crazy, but I really like the idea of O'Day as GM -- much more than Walters. 

SK is a successful organization and I would be interested in what he could bring to the table.

Plus it would be a break from the Blue Bomber "Incest is Best!" school of hiring. 

I don't really think hiring anyone from Saskatchewan breaks away from the "Incest is Best" theme.

Call me crazy, but I really like the idea of O'Day as GM -- much more than Walters. 

SK is a successful organization and I would be interested in what he could bring to the table.

Plus it would be a break from the Blue Bomber "Incest is Best!" school of hiring. 

I don't really think hiring anyone from Saskatchewan breaks away from the "Incest is Best" theme.

ZING!

Well done. 

I agree with your line of thinking... but Walters too has been a breath of fresh air from "the Bomber way."  He's only been here 2 years; and has already shown he is considerably different from Joe Mack.

Jones vs O'Shea is the same risk, and I'll take Khari all day because at least he has Bomber history and you know he desperately wants to be in Peg City. 

I don't know that I want someone who "desperately wants to be in Peg City" as our HC.  If he desperately wants to be here, he could sell cars and coach with a HS team. 

Hire a true leader and manager without regard for whether or not he wants to be here.  Make the opportunity sparkle. 

After all, candidates won't be coming for Winnipeg's renowned freeways, balmy weather, or rapid transit system.

How the heck does anyone know KJ "desperately wants to be in WPG?"

Sure he had some success here as QB and has stake in a Booster juice, but what else?

Granted its more than he has in SK but if anything he'd want to be in Calgary (where presumably, his family is living) or California (because its his home and is fricken awesome). 

Agree with the poster above -- the job isn't so someone can fulfill their personal wish list.

Jones vs O'Shea is the same risk, and I'll take Khari all day because at least he has Bomber history and you know he desperately wants to be in Peg City. 

The desperation to be in Winnipeg didn't work out all that well with Mike Kelly.  

Khari would be excellent for the team.  My thought would be to start with him in an OC role.

Sask is successful, true.  But if reports of them way over the cap are true, there will be a price to pay for simply signing up all the best players for whatever they want.

Sask will just keep spending, they have been successful and have it set up now.  They spent the money and are getting it back and more.

The Bomber model has created a broken down beater over the years and people are now questioning if it is worth fixing.   There will be yet another cattle call for the fans to hand over their hard earned money (plus the % increase) with the promise things will be better. 

From Swaggerville to Notsurepeopleevenreallycareanymoreville.

Should be an interesting year....