Main Camp - Day Seven Observations

Atomic

Made it out for the afternoon practice today.  Some notes:

- I've never seen the Bombers dedicate so much time and effort to special teams.  Dickenson is really putting his stamp on the team.  They practiced kickoffs for awhile:  Palardy put his two kickoffs at the 13 and 15.  Pavlopolous put his two at the 14 and 15.  Cameron put his two at the 22 and the 9.  I saw Massey, Denmark, Ford, Simpson, Kennedy, and Washington lining up as returners.

- The battle is on for the right tackle job.  Both Douglas and Boatman were getting reps with the first team.  Boatman is a big boy but Douglas is certainly more agile.  The rest of the OL looks the same as last season.  Kowalczuk had a few atrocious snaps as the second team centre.  Pencer seems to hold his own as the left tackle on the second team.

- Let's hope our starting receivers get healthy.  Matthews, Watson, and Edwards were all sidelined.  Watson's hand was wrapped but not in a cast.  First team receivers were therefore Denmark, Etienne, Poblah, McCree and Adams in Matthews' spot.

- Pontbriand still has the edge as the number one fullback.  Good hands, good quickness for a big guy, and he absolutely steamrolled a DB who got in his way.  That said, Fitzgerald made a nice catch in traffic and had some guys bounce off him.  He looks like he has improved already from when I saw him at rookie camp.

- Woodson was out there practicing and man does he look dangerous with the ball in his hands.  Let's hope he can stay healthy this year because he could be a difference-maker.  He can run, he can catch, and he made Dan West look silly in the open field.  He also took a big hit from a DB but bounced right back up, so that's a good sign.

- Clement got a chance to run the first team offence near the end of practice and looked the best I've seen him look so far.  Made nice throws to Poblah, Denmark, and a beauty to McCree in the endzone that McCree leaped for and came down with.  Clement also had a good run up the middle... I mean it's hard to say because they can't tackle him, but he's got some serious wheels, that's for sure.  Hall also got a chance but suffered a couple ugly drops from Massey and Poblah... Massey in particular is going to have to show he can be more consistent catching the ball or there's no way he sticks around.

- What can be said about Etienne that hasn't already been said?  He's fast, he gets open, and his hands look so soft... he plucks the ball out of the air like it's nothing.  Can't wait to see him get a chance in a game.  Brett Carter didn't do much today and lost a contested ball to Desia Dunn who ended up hanging on for the interception.  Still like the potential there though.

- Overall, I was not very impressed with the offence outside of the one Clement drive.  The receivers looked a little confused, they certainly weren't on the same page as the QBs on a lot of plays.  Though the defence was flying around so they deserve some credit as well.

- Alex Hall looks like he's ready to pick up where he left off.  What a beast.  In fact the whole d-line looks like they are ready to go.  I'm excited to see what Gilmore brings to the table, because he looks pretty deadly out there.

Went to the afternoon one as well and agree with a lot of your comments.  Tons of special teams stuff today.  No wonder ours sucked so bad last year, I think I've seen them practice this more than I ever recall.  

Pierce looked like the best QB today and it wasn't even close.  He hit his WRs most consistently in the one on ones.  The rest were not very good today in my opinion - though Clement did have the one no-huddle drive.

We really need to get people healthy ASAP.  A lot of starters hurt right now.

Defensively I thought the whole unit(s) flew around today really well.

Is there practice tomorrow?  Bomber site has nothing - usually it says "no practice" at least.

Went to the afternoon one as well and agree with a lot of your comments.  Tons of special teams stuff today.  No wonder ours sucked so bad last year, I think I've seen them practice this more than I ever recall.  

Pierce looked like the best QB today and it wasn't even close.  He hit his WRs most consistently in the one on ones.  The rest were not very good today in my opinion - though Clement did have the one no-huddle drive.

We really need to get people healthy ASAP.  A lot of starters hurt right now.

Defensively I thought the whole unit(s) flew around today really well.

Is there practice tomorrow?  Bomber site has nothing - usually it says "no practice" at least.

I think I saw a tweet saying practice is at 11:15 am tomorrow.

To be fair, the one kickoff that Cameron only got to the 22, he kicked from 5 yards further back.

Clemment had the one drive but made some awful throws. Also tucks the ball and looks to run way to quickly imo.

Woodson did look excellent, one great run up the middle that got lots of props from the sidelines.

Kowalchuck's snaps were terrible.I see an apple and a road map in his future.

To be fair, the one kickoff that Cameron only got to the 22, he kicked from 5 yards further back.

Clemment had the one drive but made some awful throws. Also tucks the ball and looks to run way to quickly imo.

Woodson did look excellent, one great run up the middle that got lots of props from the sidelines.

Kowalchuck's snaps were terrible.I see an apple and a road map in his future.

I didn't notice that with Cameron, thanks for pointing that out.

Yes, I would agree that Clement didn't look good outside of the one drive.

Thanks for the updates guys!

I'm not sure what we're going to do at RB. There's so many good players there. I'm happy I'm not the one that's gotta pick the roster, because its tougher then ever to try and do so.

I forgot to mention that Garrett also looked really good today.  The running backs got lots of work in the scrimmage.

I'm honestly very excited to see JE.

Would LOVE to see people eat some crow on him.

me too.. very high hopes since day one and this camp has been his best showcase of his talent thus far.. I really hope gets to justify the use of your jack nicolson pic this season on his pick..

I'm honestly very excited to see JE.

Would LOVE to see people eat some crow on him.

This is why I think I will be getting JE on my new retro jersey this year. Going to show flashes of his 20+ yards per catch in college.

Sorry to derail, but is that rumour about a new retro jersey for this year confirmed? Hopefully a return to the royals in our future....

Well ... it hasn't been announced. But it's happening. I've seen them.

It's the 80s retro.