2024 Blue Bomber Training Camp

10 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I am not concerned about Zac in any way. He will be just fine, and I don't think rust will be an issue. It would be nice to get our starting O a quarter but it's not really a big deal that we aren't imo. Rather have our guys healthy.

You want to show off every big play. 

Nah...these guys will have it down after the first practice. There is very little to do except to fine tune the timing again and that can be done very quickly with all the vets we have.

I think this is sort of a naive take. If what you’re saying is true, why do they participate in camp at all? Save the reps for the young guys. 

13 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I am not concerned about Zac in any way. He will be just fine, and I don't think rust will be an issue. It would be nice to get our starting O a quarter but it's not really a big deal that we aren't imo. Rather have our guys healthy.

You want to show off every big play. 

Nah...these guys will have it down after the first practice. There is very little to do except to fine tune the timing again and that can be done very quickly with all the vets we have.

I get why you say that, but the lack of preparedness and execution in the biggest games gives me pause. In  general he has been we prepared to start the season as a bomber, but also flat starts has been a problem on this squad especially post 21. 

1 hour ago, Mike said:

https://www.bluebombers.com/2024/05/29/48-hour-primer-preseason-2/

i honestly can’t imagine this being less informative … it feels like a real deliberate thing the Bombers are doing to provide as little information about camp as possible at this rate. If it’s on purpose for gamesmanship, ok I can respect it but it sure sucks as a fan

”here’s your primer for the final preseason game: Collaros will not play, Demski likes to practice and we’ve had some injuries in camp”

That's not really written for us is the problem. It's for the filthy casuals who only care about the names, like local boy demski.

16 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I get why you say that, but the lack of preparedness and execution in the biggest games gives me pause. In  general he has been we prepared to start the season as a bomber, but also flat starts has been a problem on this squad especially post 21. 

Really? Check our first few games offence of both 22 and 23. Early season has not been our problem at all on offence. What happened months ago in a highly charged playoff atmosphere in cold weather does not equate to this situation at all. Just as a game played in June does not matter come November.

21 minutes ago, Mike said:

I think this is sort of a naive take. If what you’re saying is true, why do they participate in camp at all? Save the reps for the young guys. 

I think this is sort of a naive take. They take reps because that is where they will get their timing down. None of these guys need to see the bullets flying in order to do that. We have a very veteran offensive group, they will be just fine and really don't need the live action of pre-season to be prepared for game 1. Starting O's don't get much out of preseason games contrary to popular belief on this thread. 

Edited by GCn20

3 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Really? Check our first few games offence of both 22 and 23. Early season has not been our problem at all on offence.

I think this is sort of a naive take. They take reps because that is where they will get their timing down. None of these guys need to see the bullets flying in order to do that. We have a very veteran offensive group, they will be just fine and really don't need the live action of pre-season to be prepared for game 1. Starting O's don't get much out of preseason games contrary to popular belief on this thread. 

Both those games zach took considerable snaps in the pre season, check it out.

6 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

He played one quarter in each of 22 and 23.

Youre looking at the end of the quarter, not the start. He lead TD drives in the 2nd quarter of pre season games both those years. 

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Youre looking at the end of the quarter, not the start. He lead TD drives in the 2nd quarter of pre season games both those years. 

He played a grand total of one Q of football in each of those seasons. He had a grand total of 6 pass attempts in preseason 2022 and 7 in 2023.  Are you guys seriously suggesting that those half a dozen passing attempts each year made a lick of difference come game 1 of the season? C'mon....you guys are bitching just for the sake of bitching on this one. Zac not playing is a giant nothing burger.

Edited by GCn20

I question the readiness of our OL... Neufeld has been on the shelf and I'm not convinced that Lofton is the guy at RT. I'm not even convinced that all the interior spots are locks, yet. Better to test the OL in front of Streveler and the rookies, perhaps.

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

He played a grand total of one Q of football in each of those seasons. He had a grand total of 6 pass attempts in preseason 2022 and 7 in 2023.  Are you guys seriously suggesting that those half a dozen passing attempts each year made a lick of difference come game 1 of the season? C'mon....you guys are bitching just for the sake of bitching on this one. Zac not playing is a giant nothing burger.

Check the play by play, he was in for the 2nd Q of both those games and they were closed out by other qbs lol

5 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

He played a grand total of one Q of football in each of those seasons. He had a grand total of 6 pass attempts in preseason 2022 and 7 in 2023. 

Last year against Edmonton, he played the entire first quarter and then the first 5 minutes of the second.  He was the busiest QB with 8 attempts while the other 3 QB's had a combined total of 12.

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Check the play by play, he was in for the 2nd Q of both those games and they were closed out by other qbs lol

Yes, I have stated he played one Q in each of 22 and 23.

Collaros also did not play at all in the 2022 pre-season so this isn't the first time they've done this.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/2023/05/30/collaros-to-sit-out-preseason-tilt-vs-riders

It was the first preseason game Collaros has been a part of since joining the Bombers late into the 2019 season. The club has only had two prior preseason games with Collaros on the roster, with both coming in 2022, as there were no games played in the COVID-19-shortened 2021 campaign and the 2020 season was completely wiped out.

I think the whole unit in the last pre-season should get at least a few series....yeah they all vets..etc....but still you just don't turn it on and off...you need some live fire regardless of how long you have played in the league.

There will be likely 3 new moving parts on the offence....so get that familiarity now, even for just a few series before trying to find it in skelly next week...which isnt the same....It's just askibg for a big miscue or 2 in forst game, and possible injury risk...I think it's foolish to not dress....

Just now, bigg jay said:

Last year against Edmonton, he played the entire first quarter and then the first 5 minutes of the second.  He was the busiest QB with 8 attempts while the other 3 QB's had a combined total of 12.

Yea, Ok one quarter and a series. I stand corrected. Those 8 passing attempts had a profound impact on his game 1 play? Nah....not buying it. A veteran the calibre of Collaros does not need to play the preseason really. If the Bombers feel comfortable not playing him, I am perfectly fine with that. 

Just now, Booch said:

I think the whole unit in the last pre-season should get at least a few series....yeah they all vets..etc....but still you just don't turn it on and off...you need some live fire regardless of how long you have played in the league.

There will be likely 3 new moving parts on the offence....so get that familiarity now, even for just a few series before trying to find it in skelly next week...which isnt the same....It's just askibg for a big miscue or 2 in forst game, and possible injury risk...I think it's foolish to not dress....

I would agree if we didn't have Strev, who can easily step in while all the other guys knock off the rust. Zac doesn't really need to do so.

13 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Collaros also did not play at all in the 2022 pre-season so this isn't the first time they've done this.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/2023/05/30/collaros-to-sit-out-preseason-tilt-vs-riders

There you go, I thought he had played preseason 2022. He was so awful from getting no reps in preseason 22 that he promptly went out and laid out a 9-0 start to the season en route to a MOP award. Hopefully, this will end the teeth gnashing as it appears that Zac always has very little pre-season play time, if any. So far that has worked out just fine.

Edited by GCn20

7 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

There you go, I thought he had played preseason 2022. He was so awful from getting no reps in preseason 22 that he promptly went out and laid out a 9-0 start to the season en route to a MOP award. Hopefully, this will end the teeth gnashing as it appears that Zac always has very little pre-season play time, if any. So far that has worked out just fine.

that was also 3 seasons ago now...and last year he had a lot of less than stelar moments...I'd prefer he gets some reps but it wont be end of world if he doesnt....I think with 2 new lineman tho they need to get an idea of what/where and how long he back there extending plays so they dont ease up and he gets whalloped when the real bullets are flying

1 minute ago, Mike said:

It’s more the entire idea that nobody needs to play that bothers me. Our depth chart tomorrow is baffling.

is it up?

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

It’s more the entire idea that nobody needs to play that bothers me. Our depth chart tomorrow is baffling.

This is more important than whether Zach plays or not. Keeping in mind that we had Dru Brown in each of the last couple of years as well. This year, we have a couple rookies taking snaps, one of whom has been here for a few days.

How do we evaluate any of the offensive players? How does the OL begin to come together as a unit (with a two new starters this season)?

11 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Also if we are truly trying to evaluate receivers when the bullets are flying, are we giving them a fair shake with QB3 and 4 throwing to them?

10 minutes ago, Jesse said:

This is more important than whether Zach plays or not. Keeping in mind that we had Dru Brown in each of the last couple of years as well. This year, we have a couple rookies taking snaps, one of whom has been here for a few days.

How do we evaluate any of the offensive players? How does the OL begin to come together as a unit (with a two new starters this season)?

This is it to me, we can‘t just ride the middle like this. If you have 8-10 receivers still here fighting for spots, are you going to get a reasonably fair evaluation of them if they’re playing exclusively with brand new quarterbacks? And if you don’t need this evaluation to make your decision, why are so many of them still here then?

It seems like the defensive side of the ball has a few more decisions that have been made but I still have more questions than ever with regards to what our D looks like week 1. The big question mark I have is at MLB … if Shayne Gauthier starts there week 1 and doesn’t have to do anything in the preseason to prove he’s earned it, I’d say we’ve officially jumped the shark. If Moses/Petrishen are genuinely competing for the role, okay great let’s go. If Kyrie is the answer at MLB while Bighill is out and they’re sliding a new guy over to play WIL, why isn’t Kyrie getting the reps?

20 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Also if we are truly trying to evaluate receivers when the bullets are flying, are we giving them a fair shake with QB3 and 4 throwing to them?

nope....which leads me to assume they already know who they are rostering regadless who jumps off page today or impresses

20 minutes ago, Jesse said:

to be blunt...they dont.

7 minutes ago, Mike said:

This is it to me, we can‘t just ride the middle like this. If you have 8-10 receivers still here fighting for spots, are you going to get a reasonably fair evaluation of them if they’re playing exclusively with brand new quarterbacks? And if you don’t need this evaluation to make your decision, why are so many of them still here then?

It seems like the defensive side of the ball has a few more decisions that have been made but I still have more questions than ever with regards to what our D looks like week 1. The big question mark I have is at MLB … if Shayne Gauthier starts there week 1 and doesn’t have to do anything in the preseason to prove he’s earned it, I’d say we’ve officially jumped the shark. If Moses/Petrishen are genuinely competing for the role, okay great let’s go. If Kyrie is the answer at MLB while Bighill is out and they’re sliding a new guy over to play WIL, why isn’t Kyrie getting the reps?

yup...are these new guys actually auditioning to fill Biggies spot....and Gauthier isnt poaching reps in these games because we know what he is...a capable rotation/role guy in a limited capacity....Or is he being awarded the spot...just because...as this been the norm for yrs now??

I fine with Wilson at WIL until he shows cracks....a yr and a bit removed from his surgery should be a true indicator this year, and I like seeing Cole at SAM....He is the best option...but still have some of the "reard" vibes going on...guess next week practice we will see the true makeup.....Gut tells me Younger wants faster...athletic and aggressive guys....so we may luck out

I think part of the reason Zac isn't playing is we're still evaluating the oline, Until we have our number one unit I can't see having Zac in and risking a big hit on  a breakdown . 

We have Coleman, Ivy, Dobson  Wallace and Lofton as starting. Yikes. It is concerning that we havent narrowed down the candidates more throughout the lineup.

Depth Charts: Begelton starts as Stamps face Bombers in preseason - CFL.ca

Edited by Pete