2024 Blue Bomber Training Camp

5 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

They should though.  They are likely repped by a CFLPA approved agent.  You'd think you would do a little digging on your career prospects, how the league works, the team they are going to etc.

Yep, they definitely should but we've heard about that kind of thing before.  Off-field preparation like that doesn't always rank too highly for some of these guys.  One of our camp QB's (Terry Wilson) just admitted he was supposed to come up to the CFL 2 years ago but didn't have his passport in order so it didn't happen & now he wishes he had gotten it done back then. 

It's weird to say that the Bombers have missed out on players because of ratio concerns because it's balanced out by playing an import somewhere else. So it's not even that you are better than the incumbent Canadian you are trying to displace, you have to better than the Canadian than another import is better than the typical Canadian at their position. 

You can argue that the Bombers have not really taken advantage of some of the new rules surrounding imports, but the players filling those spots likely aren't going to be higher level imports. 

34 minutes ago, ShyGuy said:

It's weird to say that the Bombers have missed out on players because of ratio concerns because it's balanced out by playing an import somewhere else. So it's not even that you are better than the incumbent Canadian you are trying to displace, you have to better than the Canadian than another import is better than the typical Canadian at their position. 

You can argue that the Bombers have not really taken advantage of some of the new rules surrounding imports, but the players filling those spots likely aren't going to be higher level imports. 

You dont get it....due to ratio to fill out the roster....many many inferior Canadians get role jobs as oppsoed to Americans...so if say an LB has a opp to compete for a job....but doesn't get it say due to another American they go with...he has no hope to make the roster on teams and try and earn a spot in practice.... the ST lb's filling out the roster will be inferior Canadians...who aren't good enough to be a Canadian starter...so guys won't come due to that...a lot of times as well they may be better than a projected Canadian Starter....but again.....won't get the job because there just isnt enough starter quality Canadians on some rosters to change your ratio...Guys careers are short as it is, and for a U.S guy to come up here, already behind the 8-ball due to ratio and risk catastrophic injury with really next to no chance to make it...they decline the offer....doubt me if you wish....but these are facts...and has happened a ton

Just now, Booch said:

You dont get it....due to ratio to fill out the roster....many many inferior Canadians get role jobs as oppsoed to Americans...so if say an LB has a opp to compete for a job....but doesn't get it say due to another American they go with...he has no hope to make the roster on teams and try and earn a spot in practice.... the ST lb's filling out the roster will be inferior Canadians...who aren't good enough to be a Canadian starter...so guys won't come due to that...a lot of times as well they may be better than a projected Canadian Starter....but again.....won't get the job because there just isnt enough starter quality Canadians on some rosters to change your ratio...Guys careers are short as it is, and for a U.S guy to come up here, already behind the 8-ball due to ratio and risk catastrophic injury with really next to no chance to make it...they decline the offer....doubt me if you wish....but these are facts...and has happened a ton

No such thing as an inferior Canadian.

39 minutes ago, Booch said:

Yup, just one of things that make our game great!

49 minutes ago, Booch said:

They're already behind the 8-ball when they choose football as a career and fail to make an NFL roster, deciding to further limit their options isn't going to help prolong their career.

27 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Yup, just one of things that make our game great!

the rules are what make it great...not who's under the helmet...and the best available players would make it even better....talent/competition wise....If they were all American....all Japanese...all Mexican....all white...blck...combo of all nations....and played in Canada....under the same rules...in same stadiums....wouldn't bother me one bit....If it was all Canadian tho...I'd watch...to a point....but would not pay the money I do now when attending for a sub par product....I could watch Junioor or Canadian University for that....for a fraction of the price...BTW...I was born in Canada and lived here till about 16....and moved back when I entered the work force...So i'm not some Anti-Canadian basher

Edited by Booch

2 hours ago, Booch said:

I think a lot of people, especially fans, under estimate just how hard it is to get American players who’ve never heard of the cfl to come up here. Especially from the south. Front office types scouts especially work americans more than they sleep. 
coaches, state side agents, and nfl/ncaa scouts are 90% of the pipe line. Guys like Mac win these types over and they help sell kids who are on the out side of the nfl trajectory. 

Edited by wbbfan

15 minutes ago, Booch said:

the rules are what make it great...not who's under the helmet...and the best available players would make it even better....talent/competition wise....If they were all American....all Japanese...all Mexican....all white...blck...combo of all nations....and played in Canada....under the same rules...in same stadiums....wouldn't bother me one bit....If it was all Canadian tho...I'd watch...to a point....but would not pay the money I do now when attending for a sub par product....I could watch Junioor or Canadian University for that....for a fraction of the price...BTW...I was born in Canada and lived here till about 16....and moved back when I entered the work force...So i'm not some Anti-Canadian basher

If someone thinks that we could get rid of the Canadian ratio, employ mostly all Americans trying to get into the NFL, and not adopt NFL rules is more than a bit delusional.  Get rid of the radio and the CFL is over.

25 minutes ago, Pepper_Brooks said:

It's the American players who aren't talented enough to land an import roster spot and requisite work visa. Simple as that, buddy. This is our League 🇨🇦

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong. 

Often the most talented guys are the hardest to bring up and push through the visa process. No different than college programs have to work hard on the high talent guys who struggle with academics. 

As it is we will probably never see a guy who cashed NIL cheques in the ncaa up here.

We often have guys on the NL for over a year, that’s not just waiting out nfl chances that’s convincing guys to come up. 

The Bombers never explained earlier today why they only announced 6 cuts when 10 players had to be removed from the roster.

Now we know the other 4 moves that were made.

The CFL transactions page has Parker, Bighill and Noah Hallet moved to the 6 game injured list and Neufeld was moved to the retired list.

Hopefully Neufeld isnt actually retiring. 

1 minute ago, WinnipegGordo said:

The Bombers never explained earlier today why they only announced 6 cuts when 10 players had to be removed from the roster.

Now we know the other 4 moves that were made.

The CFL transactions page has Parker, Bighill and Noah Hallet moved to the 6 game injured list and Neufeld was moved to the retired list.

Hopefully Neufeld isnt actually retiring. 

Figured it would be injury list guys. I think biggie is just on rest he sounded like he was good to go on BFS with bauming the other day. Parker I hope is well soon. Noah just can’t stay healthy damn. 

I can’t imagine neufeld retiring wouldn’t be announced in a better way. He’s been here like 10 years. 

14 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong. 

Often the most talented guys are the hardest to bring up and push through the visa process. No different than college programs have to work hard on the high talent guys who struggle with academics. 

As it is we will probably never see a guy who cashed NIL cheques in the ncaa up here.

We often have guys on the NL for over a year, that’s not just waiting out nfl chances that’s convincing guys to come up. 

The fact remains, American players aren't getting edged out by less talented Canadians for roster spots. They're up against fellow Americans for import slots and work visas, no more, no less. To snag one of those limited import roster spots you've got to outperform all others (American and Canadian) in your position and prove your value to the team overall. It's as straightforward as that. Having limited roster spots for international players is common world wide aside from the big 4 north american leagues.

And your post doesn't even touch on the point I'm driving at! 😆

1 hour ago, Booch said:

Yeah, the ratio rule among others. 

Edited by Bigblue204

4 hours ago, Goalie said:

It would be interesting to see who doesn’t have a clue. Perhaps the cuts indicate that. 

I'm confident it will yet again display  the glaring reality that nobody around these parts has a flipping clue about professional football. And how could they, when their exposure is limited to just one game per week and a handful of media snippets and Tweets (X's?)? Such a massive information disparity compared to the coaches and GMs making the actual decisions.

18 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Figured it would be injury list guys. I think biggie is just on rest he sounded like he was good to go on BFS with bauming the other day. Parker I hope is well soon. Noah just can’t stay healthy damn. 

I can’t imagine neufeld retiring wouldn’t be announced in a better way. He’s been here like 10 years. 

How do we interpret those 6 gamers? That legitimately carries into the season right? 

9 minutes ago, Pepper_Brooks said:

The fact remains, American players aren't getting edged out by less talented Canadians for roster spots. They're up against fellow Americans for import slots and work visas, no more, no less. To snag one of those limited import roster spots you've got to outperform all others (American and Canadian) in your position and prove your value to the team overall. It's as straightforward as that. Having limited roster spots for international players is common world wide aside from the big 4 north american leagues.

And your post doesn't even touch on the point I'm driving at! 😆

u have zero clue what u natter about at the best of times...let alone this...shhhh

4 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Yeah, the ratio rule among others. 

rtio has been nshrinking for decades...if anything the game over all is better....no?....and if isnt...why u still watch?