CFL PA What to negotiate for next?

We have had good commissioners from time to time including a marketing type or two. I am not so sure what we have right now. One of the best things we can do right now is try and duplicate what sportsnet has done with the CBC. It would take some marketing genius and the ability to run some pro forma numbers  to generate the interest. A little greed generation is a big part of marketing.

More critical than anything is a good on-field product. Too often we haven't had that because we just let our franchise quarterbacks get beat up and teams lose an entire year of competitive entertainment. We react like it's nothing, just part of the game!

I find the CFL the most exciting football anywhere. We have to promote, highlight and leverage that excitement. That marketing needs to be more than on TV; it must also include a community involved stands filling promotion of the live product for families seeking to stretch their entertainment budget. We shouldn't be selling major-league refreshment prices; need to get the teenagers out. Need to make hotdogs and pop affordable.

We don't need major market advertising firms trying to do the stuff like they do in the majors. We need someone with marketing niche genius at the grassroots level.

16 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I guess I want to see the CFL at least try. Until the CFL is on a major streaming service & available to subscribers we'll never know how they'd do as it's a different brand of football. At least try. Come up with some ideas for growth strategies of some kind to grow the game instead of trying to put a team in the Maritimes where there's no interest. The league just stagnates every year, the same old, same old. 

Playing devil's advocate a bit here, but how do you know that they haven't tried.  For all we know, they could have approached every streaming service there is and begged them to put the CFL on there, but if the streamers have no interest, the CFL can't force it.  It's easy to say that they should try things, but when the decision is out of their control, there's no way for any of us to know what has and hasn't been tried, unless you know someone who works at the league and they told you that everyone there is just sitting around twiddling their thumbs.

15 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

I haven't had cable in well over a decade. Easy to stream live games on TSN's streaming service.

Wasn't every game available to be streamed globally too?

Pre-season yes but regular season will depend on where you are. The CFL Plus page says:

• All CFL events and preseason games are available to our Canadian, U.S., and international fans.
    • Regular season CFL games will be available to all international fans with a portion of the 2024 season also available to U.S. fans. **regular season games are not available to stream to Canadian fans.

https://www.cfl.ca/plus/

9 hours ago, JCon said:

THE. CFL. IS. BEING. STREAMED. 

But. They're. Not. Making. Any. Money. 

8 hours ago, blue85gold said:

I haven't had cable in well over a decade. Easy to stream live games on TSN's streaming service.

Wasn't every game available to be streamed globally too?

My son in Seattle doesn't have cable. He has Hulu CBS Sports, Netfklix, Paramount Plus, Disney Plus... but he has to plug his laptop into his tv to watch a CFL game from TSN after CBS Sports stopped televising games on their sports streaming service after the NFL started. 

18 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

My son in Seattle doesn't have cable. He has Hulu CBS Sports, Netfklix, Paramount Plus, Disney Plus... but he has to plug his laptop into his tv to watch a CFL game from TSN after CBS Sports stopped televising games on their sports streaming service after the NFL started. 

This. If TSN wants 18-40 year olds watching, they’ve got to get a decent streaming app across all platforms. 
No one should have to plug the laptop in, it’s 2024. 
I’ve been streaming everything else through Xbox/PS for over a decade. 

5 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

This. If TSN wants 18-40 year olds watching, they’ve got to get a decent streaming app across all platforms. 
No one should have to plug the laptop in, it’s 2024. 
I’ve been streaming everything else through Xbox/PS for over a decade. 

You can stream TSN via... 

Amazon Fire Stick
Android TV
Android phones & tablets
Apple TV 4K & Apple TV HD
Bell Streamer
Chromecast
iPhone & iPad
LG
Roku
Airplay
Samsung TV
Xbox Series

" If TSN wants 18-40 year olds watching"

the best marketing program that I remember is going after junior high and high  school students

Players visiting schools combined with ticket giveaways might win over some

this can be family-oriented with parents or peer oriented with friends… Often teens like to travel in packs as a nonthreatening easy way to socialize

the key is to make it easy in terms of both money and transportation

has anybody seen any studies showing the effectiveness of such student programs?

There certainly is a lot of empty seats in the CFL that could be grouped into a fun zone

We need to win hearts at a young age as a cool form of entertainment

3 hours ago, JCon said:

You can stream TSN via... 

Amazon Fire Stick
Android TV
Android phones & tablets
Apple TV 4K & Apple TV HD
Bell Streamer
Chromecast
iPhone & iPad
LG
Roku
Airplay
Samsung TV
Xbox Series

How is their app for you on those? I’ve had nothing but problems and crashing with it on Xbox and Samsung TV. 
It’s only ever reliable through my laptop or phone. 

23 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

He could try IPTV

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Interesting note in terms of CFL business and Winnipeg Football Club...

Valour FC is getting absolutely skunked on their season opening road trip.  Think this team will be folded after this season.

I think so too. Can't keep floating them. The CPL is just too poor to watch and it doesn't help when you're consistently terrible. 

Do I give my money to the Sea Bears or Valour? Easy decision.