Free Agency Day - Bombers Moves

9 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

I think Sask. will show marked improvement this season, looks like Mace will stem the flow and get them back on the right track, might not be great this year but they should compete for 3rd place if Harris can remain healthy.  Hard to determine who will be the weak sisters this season, the majority of teams look to have improved their overall roster, exceptions being the Bombers, Argos, Stamps and maybe the Lions.

FA rarely tells us who will be better or worse in the upcoming season. FA winners have not been very good in the standings for many years now because without solid recruitment to go with that it is not a way to build a team. Toronto, BC, and the Bombers have taken hits in FA and I expect all 3 teams will be near the top of the standings. 

57 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

Yes, Lofton started for us in place of Big Stan in the last game in 2022 and we didn't see enough to have him here in 2023 over Richmond. If Sask didn't want him for LT in 2024 why would we want him here to try out for RT. I sure hope we signed him for league minimum.

Why did they want Hardrick? Or Kolo? Why do you insist on ignoring very recent history of the team doing this and being successful at it?

38 minutes ago, Booch said:

I am confident who we find for that spot will work out, and if a reclaim project that once here....will be well above average.

History with this regime/coaching staff has shown we make O-line guys productive...Hardrick had a foot out the door of the league until we brought him in...Chungh was good here....has been a bust in B.C...Kolo was discarded and unwanted, and tho not a world beater was part of Best oline in CFL.....Bond was a machine here....did squat elsewhere....even Speller....undrafted...unwanted....picked up off scrap heap....Anchored our line at center for a Cup win...we loose Goosen unexpectedly to retirement...we have Couture step in and be stellar

We will make it work I am sure...plus our recent draft success with olineman has shown we see the guys who project to be legit....Would be funny if Loften came in here for 85k...Anchored the right side of the best line again while Hardrick shows more decline and that line flounders with his 235k price tag...I can actually see that occurring to be honest

Our OL coaching is the best in the league. If Lofton is the guy he will play well because our system maximizes each guys strengths and works hard to minimize their weaknesses. Playing next to Neufeld makes our RT spot a lot easier to play. There is a reason guys off the scrap heap excel here, and it is because our system allows them to do so. Not worried about one spot on the OL. We will be OK. Sask OL coaching and interior talent has been abysmal, and even competent OTs go there and find career death because of it. 

11 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Why did they want Hardrick? Or Kolo? Why do you insist on ignoring very recent history of the team doing this and being successful at it?

I'm not sure why everyone is assuming we brought in Lofton and have him pencilled into the starting lineup. Some FA grabs are for depth.

Edited by GCn20

On 2024-02-15 at 9:38 AM, Colin Unger said:

https://3downnation.com/2023/07/20/winnipeg-blue-bombers-flex-late-on-winless-edmonton-elks-12-other-thoughts/  

I was able to find verification of it. It wasn’t reflected in the bombers depth charts. Scroll down to the segment called hog shuffle. 

Thanks, you were right, found the game.

Dobson often looks lost in space and rarely gets up field to help with the run blocking like Gray does consistently.  Ceresna plants him in Zach's lap twice and blows by him cleanly one other time, being nervous starting his first game is a valid excuse, but I think from a physical standpoint he will remain the 6th man unless Eli is worse.  He may be cheaper than Gray, but can't say I see him being a better O-lineman.

Just now, Fatty Liver said:

Thanks, you were right, found the game.

Dobson often looks lost in space and rarely gets up field to help with the run blocking like Gray does consistently.  Ceresna plants him in Zach's lap twice and blows by him cleanly one other time, being nervous starting his first game is a valid excuse, but I think from a physical standpoint he will remain the 6th man unless Eli is worse.  He may be cheaper than Gray, but can't say I see him being a better O-lineman.

The bigger point you’re missing is lining up against cersena in your first start is very different than the dt2 as a guy with many starts over several years. Also, Dobson didn’t come from a zone blocking scheme. And if there is no tackler at the second level when you get into space if you are the double and skip guy in the scheme you aren’t going to our run the play and find a guy to block. 

39 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Hey, if they feel that a year after they let him go as he was behind too many guys here and he's a good option now that those guys are gone I guess I'll live with that. I just have to feel that he costs more than others we have coming to camp and that the most recent history of poor roster mgmt could lead to him starting over someone that might be more raw now but has a higher ceiling overall.

31 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I'm not sure why everyone is assuming we brought in Lofton and have him pencilled into the starting lineup. Some FA grabs are for depth.

You have to think that Lofton signing this early in FA would indicate that we made him a pretty good offer to come, sure he can get cut at anytime but... Can we afford to pay depth more than league minimum? I can't see Lofton signing today for minimum.

For me it's a combination of the player and what he hasn't shown so far in his career and how much more he costs than a pure rookie. If we are relying to have Neufeld helping this guy be good enough, wouldn't the same hold true for a raw rookie?

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Why would people be even remotely bothered by this? Scheme fit, we have no clue if he will perform better then he did in Sask. Hardrick stunk there too.

People are looking for things to ***** about.  It's almost like they don't believe in our recruiting and that they completely forget about training camp where multiple guys will compete for these spots.  

5 minutes ago, Brandon said:

People are looking for things to ***** about.  It's almost like they don't believe in our recruiting and that they completely forget about training camp where multiple guys will compete for these spots.  

I actually do believe in our recruiting, which is why I was hoping we wouldn't see one of these retreads taking up a TC spot. 

35 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

Hey, if they feel that a year after they let him go as he was behind too many guys here and he's a good option now that those guys are gone I guess I'll live with that. I just have to feel that he costs more than others we have coming to camp and that the most recent history of poor roster mgmt could lead to him starting over someone that might be more raw now but has a higher ceiling overall.

You have to think that Lofton signing this early in FA would indicate that we made him a pretty good offer to come, sure he can get cut at anytime but... Can we afford to pay depth more than league minimum? I can't see Lofton signing today for minimum.

For me it's a combination of the player and what he hasn't shown so far in his career and how much more he costs than a pure rookie. If we are relying to have Neufeld helping this guy be good enough, wouldn't the same hold true for a raw rookie?

or he wanted a chance to win and be part of a succesful organization...guys will jump at that too

22 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

My apologies to the forum, apparently I am feeling a little punchy today, should have realized it earlier when I chose to argue about how many Subway locations in EK/Transcona in the restaurant/food thread...

theres a thread for that?? lol

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

I actually do believe in our recruiting, which is why I was hoping we wouldn't see one of these retreads taking up a TC spot. 

I think you wanna have a vet coming in for these open positions even if it's just a measuring stick for coaches to use when evaluating the young guys.

36 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Last training camp scarred me.

Last training camp we didn't really have any starting positions open.

Just now, GCn20 said:

I think you wanna have a vet coming in for these open positions even if it's just a measuring stick for coaches to use when evaluating the young guys.

Last training camp we didn't really have any starting positions open.

but we also didnt allow for anyone to be pushed, or to keep/win a spot...which isnt a good thing either

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

The bigger point you’re missing is lining up against cersena in your first start is very different than the dt2 as a guy with many starts over several years. Also, Dobson didn’t come from a zone blocking scheme. And if there is no tackler at the second level when you get into space if you are the double and skip guy in the scheme you aren’t going to our run the play and find a guy to block. 

Ceresna is a tough assignment for any OL, guy is a beast. If he turnstiles a guy making his first career start that should be expected and not held against the guy.

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

but we also didnt allow for anyone to be pushed, or to keep/win a spot...which isnt a good thing either

Fair enough, but there is just by roster needs going to be a ton of camp competitions this year. This TC simply CAN'T be like last year, we don't have that luxury. I know a lot of guys are super on edge because we have a ton of open positions, not me, I love it....our recruiters time to shine and I have 100% faith that they will.

Edited by GCn20

24 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Yeah, I'm kind of see-sawing on the move. 

33 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

It's a safety net move. Therefore, yea....pretty meh. However, I don't mind him coming in and competing. 

Based on experience I would pencil Lofton in as the starting RT game #1, they already know his ability and his personality probably fits in well with the team.  Rookie O-linemen have to go through Marty Costello school first, if one progresses well, he may get a mid-late season look and take over from Lofton, but probably looking at 2025 for anyone else to establish themselves as the next RT.

5 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Based on experience I would pencil Lofton in as the starting RT game #1, they already know his ability and his personality probably fits in well with the team.  Rookie O-linemen have to go through Marty Costello school first, if one progresses well, he may get a mid-late season look and take over from Lofton, but probably looking at 2025 for anyone else to establish themselves as the next RT.

Honestly I think if a rookie shows well he will start. This team has no qualms playing a rookie if they show they are a talent. Think of guys like schoen or Alford. Guys who show talent get a chance. 

7 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Honestly I think if a rookie shows well he will start. This team has no qualms playing a rookie if they show they are a talent. Think of guys like schoen or Alford. Guys who show talent get a chance. 

Let's re-play the "name a rookie starting at OT?" game, keeping in mind Zach's health rides on his performance.

2 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Let's re-play the "name a rookie starting at OT?" game, keeping in mind Zach's health rides on his performance.

It's been damned near a decade with the same tackles so..... kind of an unfair thing to worry about. If there's an open spot on the roster and a rookie earns they spot they aren't afraid to play them

22 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

It's been damned near a decade with the same tackles so..... kind of an unfair thing to worry about. If there's an open spot on the roster and a rookie earns they spot they aren't afraid to play them

ZC been getting hammered a lot last yr and a bit...maybe after review we determined Yosh was a factor...who knows...but if u review games last yr u will see he had guys get free...some clean quite often...he def isn't mobile and quick off the snap like he was

And he is nowhere the technician or good with hand battles and work like Bryant

If you wanna learn and see what makes him so good watch a few games and just him...the most subtle and totally almost simple things he does will take guys right off their attack...and that's not even using his physical skills...Yosh didn't have that...hence his skill will erode fast...once his mobility and quickness is compromised...he becomes a liability

8 minutes ago, Booch said:

ZC been getting hammered a lot last yr and a bit...maybe after review we determined Yosh was a factor...who knows...but if u review games last yr u will see he had guys get free...some clean quite often...he def isn't mobile and quick off the snap like he was

And he is nowhere the technician or good with hand battles and work like Bryant

If you wanna learn and see what makes him so good watch a few games and just him...the most subtle and totally almost simple things he does will take guys right off their attack...and that's not even using his physical skills...Yosh didn't have that...hence his skill will erode fast...once his mobility and quickness is compromised...he becomes a liability

I really wish we brought back Richmond and gray. I’d have zero worries in that case. As it is I’m sure we will bring in more guys and probably find another hardrick to develop. 
 I also find it interesting no one else is going after gray. Maybe rice. 
 If I was the riders I’d a been going after guys like rice and gray. Rebuild around young Canadian ol who have won. 

If they were smart they would have signed Yosh..Gray and Rice...and trust in recruiting to find a DB and LB instead of paying over 300k for the 2 average guys they picked up

those 3 guys alone with whoever the next 2 best guys they have would have improved their online bigtime..and been a solid foundation there for their offence...but they didn't..and they again will flounder

Godber is bottom rung center...Ferland is average and lacks physicality..who knows if Blake can even play 10 games let alone 18...and the left tackle they banking on has played what..3 games most? 

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

If they were smart they would have signed Yosh..Gray and Rice...and trust in recruiting to find a DB and LB instead of paying over 300k for the 2 average guys they picked up

those 3 guys alone with whoever the next 2 best guys they have would have improved their online bigtime..and been a solid foundation there for their offence...but they didn't..and they again will flounder

Godber is bottom rung center...Ferland is average and lacks physicality..who knows if Blake can even play 10 games let alone 18...and the left tackle they banking on has played what..3 games most? 

That would be excellent for them or honestly a bunch of teams. Instant culture boost. Changes the entire nature of your ol and sets a whole new tone for the team.