Free Agency Day - Bombers Moves

18 minutes ago, Booch said:

have to agree...he couldnt unseat Hardrick and Bryant here...who in the league could have...then he went to MTL and wasnt half bad....then 2 crap olines in Ott and Sask

I tend to trust our judgement on oline guys based on what we have seen the last 6..7 yrs...He will be on a line with all quality guys, quality coaching and winning environment....maybe this is his finally getting it moment...and I sure he comes in cheap to boot

Eric Lofton actually was a bright spot on the Riders OL last year. It was their interior OL that was god awful. I'm not suggesting he's some great player, but he isn't as bad as some around here are making him out to be. The Riders got truly awful OT play from Council, Kelly and others but when Lofton took over at LT he wasn't half bad.  Having another look at him isn't the worst idea.

I think too much has been read into this signing. We lost Richmond who was our insurance policy for both OT spots. We need to fill his spot as well. Lofton would be a very good option for that.

Edited by GCn20

5 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Lofton stunk here too though. 

The concern is that he becomes the next Jackson. 

If the jags cut ayo oyelola I wouldn’t mind if we brought him back for global depth. 

I doubt it. There’s already a guy with much more pedigree brought in as well. 

If he was going to be that, I think they’d have kept him over Richmond. 

5 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I doubt it. There’s already a guy with much more pedigree brought in as well. 

If he was going to be that, I think they’d have kept him over Richmond. 

For sure. Lofton is only 30. If we had some Jackson-esque type love for him we wouldn't have cut him loose in the first place.

37 minutes ago, Booch said:

have to agree...he couldnt unseat Hardrick and Bryant here...who in the league could have...then he went to MTL and wasnt half bad....then 2 crap olines in Ott and Sask

I tend to trust our judgement on oline guys based on what we have seen the last 6..7 yrs...He will be on a line with all quality guys, quality coaching and winning environment....maybe this is his finally getting it moment...and I sure he comes in cheap to boot

Who are you talking about? Lofton played for Ott., BC, Edm. Wpg. Sask. and now back to Wpg.

30 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Eric Lofton actually was a bright spot on the Riders OL last year. It was their interior OL that was god awful. I'm not suggesting he's some great player, but he isn't as bad as some around here are making him out to be. The Riders got truly awful OT play from Council, Kelly and others but when Lofton took over at LT he wasn't half bad.  Having another look at him isn't the worst idea.

I think too much has been read into this signing. We lost Richmond who was our insurance policy for both OT spots. We need to fill his spot as well. Lofton would be a very good option for that.

Don't think Lofton was necessarily a bright spot, but during the second half of the season he played well enough at LT that he was a consistent starter on a hodge-podge Rider O-line that changed personnel almost on a weekly basis.  He might not be a star, but he is an experienced competent player that has the ability to play both Tackle positions and remain healthy.

2 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Don't think Lofton was necessarily a bright spot, but during the second half of the season he played well enough at LT that he was a consistent starter on a hodge-podge Rider O-line that changed personnel almost on a weekly basis.  He might not be a star, but he is an experienced competent player that has the ability to play both Tackle positions and remain healthy.

His PFF was not bad. Middle of the CFL road on a poor OL. He was playing above the curve on his unit. Over here he will be competing at an easier OT position. Like I said earlier, not going to do cartwheels for us grabbing him but it's not a terrible move either.

Edited by GCn20

1 minute ago, GCJenks said:

Yes, Lofton started for us in place of Big Stan in the last game in 2022 and we didn't see enough to have him here in 2023 over Richmond. If Sask didn't want him for LT in 2024 why would we want him here to try out for RT. I sure hope we signed him for league minimum.

He actually subbed in for Hardrick an entire game and did not allow a bust, can't recall who the opponent was, maybe Cgy. late season game.

1 minute ago, Fatty Liver said:

He actually subbed in for Hardrick an entire game and did not allow a bust, can't recall who the opponent was, maybe Cgy. late season game.

Yea....he's not going to set the world on fire or anything but an open camp competition needs bodies,

13 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I think you might be confusing Lofton with Jamar McGloster 

Lofton was with Ottawa in 2017, then BC, Edm, here, then Sask. 

Displaced Landon Rice and is now the starting RT for the Als. I think the Bombers might have held onto him if they could have convinced him to sit on the PR for multiple year.

6 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

Yes, Lofton started for us in place of Big Stan in the last game in 2022 and we didn't see enough to have him here in 2023 over Richmond. If Sask didn't want him for LT in 2024 why would we want him here to try out for RT. I sure hope we signed him for league minimum.

They think that hawkins is gonna be a star....mind you I dont see it, and has durability issues....plus Oday is an idiot at assessing oline talent obviously

3 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

CFL.ca reports is as Week 19 against BC, can't easily find the depth chart but I thought was for Stan but I'm likely wrong.

I am confident who we find for that spot will work out, and if a reclaim project that once here....will be well above average.

History with this regime/coaching staff has shown we make O-line guys productive...Hardrick had a foot out the door of the league until we brought him in...Chungh was good here....has been a bust in B.C...Kolo was discarded and unwanted, and tho not a world beater was part of Best oline in CFL.....Bond was a machine here....did squat elsewhere....even Speller....undrafted...unwanted....picked up off scrap heap....Anchored our line at center for a Cup win...we loose Goosen unexpectedly to retirement...we have Couture step in and be stellar

We will make it work I am sure...plus our recent draft success with olineman has shown we see the guys who project to be legit....Would be funny if Loften came in here for 85k...Anchored the right side of the best line again while Hardrick shows more decline and that line flounders with his 235k price tag...I can actually see that occurring to be honest

Edited by Booch

4 minutes ago, Booch said:

I am confident who we find for that spot will work out, and if a reclaim project that once here....will be well above average.

History with this regime/coaching staff has shown we make O-line guys productive...Hardrick had a foot out the door of the league until we brought him in...Chungh was good here....has been a bust in B.C...Kolo was discarded and unwanted, and tho not a world beater was part of Best oline in CFL.....Bond was a machine here....did squat elsewhere....even Speller....undrafted...unwanted....picked up off scrap heap....Anchored our line at center for a Cup win...we loose Goosen unexpectedly to retirement...we have Couture step in and be stellar

We will make it work I am sure...plus our recent draft success with olineman has shown we see the guys who project to be legit....Would be funny if Loften came in here for 85k...Anchored the right side of the best line again while Hardrick shows more decline and that line flounders with his 235k price tag...I can actually see that occurring to be honest

I think Sask. will show marked improvement this season, looks like Mace will stem the flow and get them back on the right track, might not be great this year but they should compete for 3rd place if Harris can remain healthy.  Hard to determine who will be the weak sisters this season, the majority of teams look to have improved their overall roster, exceptions being the Bombers, Argos, Stamps and maybe the Lions.