Proposed Annual CFL Schedule

BigBlue

10 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I don't trust our Commissioner. I wouldn't put it past him to make some kind of a deal. Especially if the two leagues nearly mirror each other with their seasons. The CFL needs money badly. I wouldn't put it past Ambrosie & the BOG's to do something if they were desperate. Just sayin'. You don't have to believe me.

Yep.

Please show me that that the league is in dire financial shape. Give us some kind of proof or comparison, PLEASE!

4 hours ago, BigBlue said:

Not if you are used to wearing a bikini in Winnipeg's February heat waves... but seriously the 3rd and 4th week of May in no way compares to November cold; some people start planting their gardens on the May long weekend

Remember: THINK BEER, not hot chocolate

May long is when we would open our pool and plant our garden.  Significantly warmer then November.     

2 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

You can not start the season before the NFL draft since they need to have CFL draft after it. 

I honestly wouldn't care if they did it before. You know the guys who will get some interest beforehand. 

22 hours ago, Brandon said:

I'm all in favour of pushing the season up and ending the year 3 weeks earlier.   It can only help improve the attendances later in the year.  

The only down side is NFL cut down day from tc this year is scheduled for the 29th of august. 
 The guys we have coming in to the league who aren’t getting nfl deals will maybe come up for the final roster expansion if we are lucky. Nfl cuts will no longer return and play hurting over all league talent. 
 If you are going to move it earlier, I’d aim to finish the regular season before nfl camp. 

This is the crappy middle ground the cfl always has to deal with nhl over lap and nfl tc. 

5 hours ago, wbbfan said:

The only down side is NFL cut down day from tc this year is scheduled for the 29th of august. 

I believe we WILL have essentially the same NFL recruits as we have always had… Just the sequence of their arrival will change some. If we need to we can adjust our rules and policies to accommodate the cuts including expanded roster sizes starting September 1.

The late cuts are not who we are really after. Most of the appealing ones end up on a taxi squad anyway. We are after the US recruits that realize they are not making any NFL team in the near term, as in the next year or two. 

We want the ones who just want to play football. If they think they can improve their status by playing in the CFL more power to them; we can accommodate that cheerfully and effectively. 

Our best recruits from the NFL camps find they love living in Canada. They want to raise their families here. This is very good for our league.

So we need to offer better tryouts and wider taxi squad accommodation. The big goal is to have them ready for  camp next spring.

The goal is NOT to bring in a ringer or two to Jack our chances in the playoffs. Just set the trade deadline for October 1 and go from there. November 1 Grey Cup here we come!

The world keeps changing and evolving so we can take advantage of that and be happy

BTW this type of a combination suits MOS's philosophy & style perfectly... Build your team at  training camp and then keep it all year.

Help those Canadians develop. I wish we could keep more of our draft picks on the roster somehow , so they can learn on the practice field throughout the year and be more prepared to make the main roster the following spring.

2 hours ago, BigBlue said:

I believe we WILL have essentially the same NFL recruits as we have always had… Just the sequence of their arrival will change some. If we need to we can adjust our rules and policies to accommodate the cuts including expanded roster sizes starting September 1.

The late cuts are not who we are really after. Most of the appealing ones end up on a taxi squad anyway. We are after the US recruits that realize they are not making any NFL team in the near term, as in the next year or two. 

We want the ones who just want to play football. If they think they can improve their status by playing in the CFL more power to them; we can accommodate that cheerfully and effectively. 

Our best recruits from the NFL camps find they love living in Canada. They want to raise their families here. This is very good for our league.

So we need to offer better tryouts and wider taxi squad accommodation. The big goal is to have them ready for  camp next spring.

The goal is NOT to bring in a ringer or two to Jack our chances in the playoffs. Just set the trade deadline for October 1 and go from there. November 1 Grey Cup here we come!

The world keeps changing and evolving so we can take advantage of that and be happy

BTW this type of a combination suits MOS's philosophy & style perfectly... Build your team at  training camp and then keep it all year.

Help those Canadians develop. I wish we could keep more of our draft picks on the roster somehow , so they can learn on the practice field throughout the year and be more prepared to make the main roster the following spring.

We won’t not with 3 weeks earlier start. We will lose guys for sure. It’s not about pr expansion it’s about timing it earlier enough for guys to get up to speed. 

if you want to be that new Canadian basketball league and watch the qbing and player quality plummet sure. 

You mean like rose, Sergio etc coming back from the nfl at the dead line? If that was really our methodology we’d have 1 gc not 2. 

It’s also not just about ringers. It’s about the top canadian drafted talent too. Guys like gray would’ve missed most of a year here easily instead of coming up. Push the season back 3 weeks and we will see even less of the top canadian talent. 

On 2023-07-30 at 2:43 PM, rebusrankin said:

ApThere aren't that many CFLers with Jr football roots. CIAU is absolutely important but more and more Canadians are playing down south

Is it possible, perhaps as a gesture of goodwill to cosponsor, with the NFL, an East-West All-Star game for draft eligible Canadians? (Yes, of course a few exceptional players could be added who are not draft eligible.) The US scouts would have a good chance to have a look-see.  So would the Canadian scouts. 

This could be done on spring break in March for those synchronizing universities. And all kinds of coaches and trainers could be brought in to give the players a lot of personalized attention..., and maybe just maybe, some lifelong professional friendships get made. This would be the opposite of a numbers game. 

These would-be rookies could pick up a lot of new knowledge and skills in 7 to 10 days as they prep for the game. Some of these students might even become a little less stupid. Attitudes need to be learned too. So huge benefits to the players and something to very much look forward to over the winter. And we the fans will have a little entertainment as well.

Everyone's a winner for not a lot of money.

It would need to be held in the deep South like Florida or Arizona. If promoted properly TSN could make a little money and pay for a lot of the event. It might become more popular than the actual Canadian draft. Maybe even a US channel could get involved. I would much rather see that than the skills and strength testing that we are doing now before our draft. A little creativity doesn't hurt. Pool resources. Wave the flags. Collaboration goes a lot further than pessimism.

I believe this is doable, do you?

On 2023-07-31 at 1:21 AM, Brandon said:

May long is when we would open our pool and plant our garden.  Significantly warmer then November.     

Depends on the year really.  In May there has still been snow on May long weekend.  Recently not so much but if you go 40 minutes north there still is. In November sometimes it's warmer

Edited by Goalie

23 hours ago, Goalie said:

Depends on the year really.  In May there has still been snow on May long weekend.  Recently not so much but if you go 40 minutes north there still is. In November sometimes it's warmer

Its context ... going from October to November its just too cold for many ... coming into May from the winter, it's going to seem warm except for VERY unusual weather ... nobody can overcome a storm ... but there will be a lot more of them in Novemer than May, Correct?

Anything over 16 c in May is going to seem like Bikini weather !!!

On 2023-07-31 at 7:59 PM, wbbfan said:

We won’t not with 3 weeks earlier start. We will lose guys for sure. It’s not about pr expansion it’s about timing it earlier enough for guys to get up to speed. 

if you want to be that new Canadian basketball league and watch the qbing and player quality plummet sure. 

You mean like rose, Sergio etc coming back from the nfl at the dead line? If that was really our methodology we’d have 1 gc not 2. 

It’s also not just about ringers. It’s about the top canadian drafted talent too. Guys like gray would’ve missed most of a year here easily instead of coming up. Push the season back 3 weeks and we will see even less of the top canadian talent. 

So just expand the roster size from mid August till the playoffs in mid October or even right into the Grey Cup ... this would nab the "Gray"s ... special rules will make sure we are still finding that talent ... further, with high priced returning talent, you can get in to the bidding war because there are only 6 or 7 weeks to pay for, not 18 weeks ... the big cost is sliced by  two thirds ... every body is talking about budget and that will help the cap ... especially if highly paid stars are sitting on the injury list ... that kind of evens out the unlucky injury situation

And then you work the returning players salary for the balance of the season ... then in the spring you do what you got to do

On 2023-08-01 at 9:55 PM, Goalie said:

Most importantly in November it’s drier.  If it’s windy, cloudy and 10-15 degrees at the end of May it’s absolutely miserable and no one wants to be outside. 

11 hours ago, BigBlue said:

So just expand the roster size from mid August till the playoffs in mid October or even right into the Grey Cup ... this would nab the "Gray"s ... special rules will make sure we are still finding that talent ... further, with high priced returning talent, you can get in to the bidding war because there are only 6 or 7 weeks to pay for, not 18 weeks ... the big cost is sliced by  two thirds ... every body is talking about budget and that will help the cap ... especially if highly paid stars are sitting on the injury list ... that kind of evens out the unlucky injury situation

And then you work the returning players salary for the balance of the season ... then in the spring you do what you got to do

The point isn't the timing of the roster size expansion with relation to the Grey Cup, it's about the timing in relation to the NFL training camp.  If you move the roster size change earlier, nothing happens because the guys waiting for their shot in the NFL haven't had it yet and won't come North until they do.

No changes should be made until the ******* CFL schedule makers figure out how to make every team play each other at least twice in a home and home.  There is no God forsaken reason that Winnipeg plays Toronto once this year like they did last year.  It's 9 friggen teams (hopefully 10 soon).  Can't be that difficult.

Well, here is my 0.02

What they could do to avoid November is play a 15 game regular season and have just two bye weeks per team

It is all but certain that this would lead to better playoff attendance

And, you'd be finishing the regular season is what will usually be beautiful fall weather

The games eliminated - usually have lower attendance anyway

TC / PS - status quo

Always the same arguments on both sides. Lol. How many times we gonna have this discussion? Not just here, but in general.

My opinion: I'm in favour of playing cold weather football outside. I love attending those games and think Canadians should embrace that kind of weather more. And honestly, it's not even that cold....

The 2021/2022 playoff games were cold, but were also wicked fun.

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

Well, here is my 0.02

What they could do to avoid November is play a 15 game regular season and have just two bye weeks per team

It is all but certain that this would lead to better playoff attendance

And, you'd be finishing the regular season is what will usually be beautiful fall weather

The games eliminated - usually have lower attendance anyway

TC / PS - status quo

You would sacrifice so much revenue in a move that would be almost universally hated.