Proposed Annual CFL Schedule

BigBlue

19 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

It could be done without any revenue loss. Maximize the profits from those 15 games. 

I'd like to hear how you can "maximize revenue" that makes up for 3 games of attendance, concessions, and TV revenue. The NFL is adding games for this reason.

And again, I don't know why anyone would want less games. I certainly don't.

8 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I'd like to hear how you can "maximize revenue" that makes up for 3 games of attendance, concessions, and TV revenue. The NFL is adding games for this reason.

Football I would NEVER want less.... Hockey, absolutely. They could kill 20 games from the NHL season and I'd be very happy. But I can never get enough CFL.

9 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Football I would NEVER want less.... Hockey, absolutely. They could kill 20 games from the NHL season and I'd be very happy. But I can never get enough CFL.

And that's a place where they absolutely could/should. Play-offs are two months long and into the summer. I can't hold interest for that long. Craziness.

But they won't, because games = money.

21 minutes ago, Jesse said:

1. By having higher attendance for the games that are played 

2. By having more and better concessions

3. By increasing playoff revenue, especially GC revenue, due to improved weather conditions

1 minute ago, Mark H. said:

1. By having higher attendance for the games that are played 

2. By having more and better concessions

3. By increasing playoff revenue, especially GC revenue, due to improved weather conditions

1. I don't see why this would happen. Why would more people go to games?

2. You can do this anyway?

3. This may add a couple of thousand people over 5 total games - with no increase to TV numbers. You're going to sacrifice 100's of thousands of people over multiple weeks of missed games and lose TV dollars.

22 minutes ago, Jesse said:

1. I don't see why this would happen. Why would more people go to games?

2. You can do this anyway?

3. This may add a couple of thousand people over 5 total games - with no increase to TV numbers. You're going to sacrifice 100's of thousands of people over multiple weeks of missed games and lose TV dollars.

1. Increased playoff attendance

2. Less games = more incentive to do a better job with concessions

3. Not all of those games are turning a profit. Have Fewer games and run them more effectively

4. A better product, due to improved weather, will eventually increase TV revenue

2 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

3. Not all of those games are turning a profit. Have Fewer games and run them more effectively

4. A better product, due to improved weather, will eventually increase TV revenue

None of these have the slimmest chance of happening. 

Less game = less people = less money.

Literally every sport is adding games, increasing amount of teams that make play-offs, to create more games to create more money.

6 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

The bombers had 30.3k for the west final, higher than any non-Rider game all season. 

You figure they should cancel up to 3 regular season games at an average of 28k for max increase of 3k for one playoff game?

4 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

The Prairie teams are an anomaly.

The Argos got 21k for the east finals last year when they hadn't cracked 15k all season.  Their last regular home game only drew 13k. 

Nicer weather did not affect the crowd 

12 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Sure, but the CFL doesn't have that option.  

No one is arguing they should.

But you are trying to say that doing the opposite - taking away games - will somehow lead to increased attendance and revenue. 

It's a completely unreasonable take.

Let's say 20,000 in attendance per game at an average ticket price of $25. That's $500,000 in ticket revenue per game. Let's say each team plays two less games, so that is 18 games or 9 million in lost ticket revenue or 1 million per team. The contract with TSN is for about 43 million but if you reduce the number of games, you're looking at a reduction there. At that price, each game is worth $500,000 or again another 9 million. So we're at a loss of 18 million before you get into concessions. I don't see how you make that revenue up.

47 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

It won't increase TV revenue because it decreases inventory significantly.  That's one of the main things the CFL is selling and what they are getting paid for by TSN.

Unless all of the production teams and football players are willing to get paid less there's no way this could work.