Around The NHL 2023-24

On 2024-01-24 at 12:48 PM, HardCoreBlue said:

Yup and I'm assuming, if it's proven these players did nefarious things, that the Edmonton Oilers will sign them all.

Someone will always sign these guys. What the hell? It's only sexual misconduct or assault, right? The Oilers signed Perry. Look how the Jets closed ranks to protect Cheveldayoff who should have been fired by Chipman. Instead, that whole bizarre news conference, it was like Chevy was the real victim.

On 2024-01-24 at 3:20 PM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Hot take: Hockey Canada should have reported this to the police asap as the victim should have instead of here's money and an NDA.

The questions I have are, after the money has been paid & these non disclosure agreements signed, can they be challenged in the courts? Can the settlements be overturned & players formerly protected now be charged? Imagine if they could be, wow. I agree every player who did this to a woman needs to face their day in court for what they did. Especially as millions of dollars have been paid out to hide it. As well as HC execs who went along & approved the cover ups.

On 2024-01-24 at 1:38 PM, Goalie said:

Turns out they investigating the 2003 team also. Man oh man hockey Canada culture appears to be very toxic. 

Like we didn't know that already.

On 2024-01-24 at 4:51 PM, Brandon said:

If what they found is true then yes it would be considered rape ,  assault,  imprisonment,  and probably many more charges.    

I don't believe it would get to this point if it was something silly like her having sex with one player and the rest of the guys busting into the room and flicking on the lights and embarrassing them.   And while I know puck-bunnies exist ,  I'd imagine most even in a drunk state wouldn't take on 7 guys at a single time.       Me thinks these players are going to be in a lot of trouble.   

They can all afford high powered & expensive lawyers.

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

That contract .... yikes.  

How long is his term? Renegotiate, if p;ossible. If he wants to come back, He needs a shave & a haircut financially. Imagine if he did come back & he became a 45 goal scorer again. I assume after playing under Torts that his defensive efforts would have improved. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

21 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

How long is his term? Renegotiate, if p;ossible. If he wants to come back, He needs a shave & a haircut financially. Imagine if he did come back & he became a 45 goal scorer again. I assume after playing under Torts that his defensive efforts would have improved. 

You can't renegotiate a contract. The BJs could buy him out. 

Best hope would be to get the BJs to keep part of his salary. But, that would cost the Jets a lot too in a trade. 

19 hours ago, JCon said:

You can't renegotiate a contract. The BJs could buy him out. 

Best hope would be to get the BJs to keep part of his salary. But, that would cost the Jets a lot too in a trade. 

When is Laine's contract up?

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

When is Laine's contract up?

I just checked as it's up after the 2025-26 season. An $8.75 million hit the next two seasons after this. Yes, we won't be trading for him. That contract is brutal. 

Alcohol drugs or ps5. All the best. His dad died tho a bit ago and they were close so could see that hitting him hard. All the best. Patrick has not been the same since we dealt him. It’s unfortunate. He could have been a special talent if he had the work ethic which apparently he doesn’t. 

Edited by Goalie

9 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I highly doubt it would be gaming,  my guess depression + pills/drugs.  

Not sure why so many Finnish players have such a hard time adjusting to the NHL game. I guess it just isn't what they grow up caring about, and so don't have the same drive as other guys from other countries? I don't get it.

Atlanta will need to get in line if and when the NHL expands, I really think that they want the Houston market and a ready made rivalry with Dallas and Utah has expressed interest. People in Quebec would love a team but I don't think the NHL really wants another Canadian team. The expansion fee is going to be outrageous so whoever wants a team in any of these cities will have to have deep pockets.

1 minute ago, bustamente said:

Atlanta will need to get in line if and when the NHL expands, I really think that they want the Houston market and a ready made rivalry with Dallas and Utah has expressed interest. People in Quebec would love a team but I don't think the NHL really wants another Canadian team. The expansion fee is going to be outrageous so whoever wants a team in any of these cities will have to have deep pockets.

Houston makes a lot of sense. I really thought the Yotes were going there. 

Expand to Houston and Salt Lake City. Water down the product even more. Profit. 

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

Houston makes a lot of sense. I really thought the Yotes were going there. 

Expand to Houston and Salt Lake City. Water down the product even more. Profit. 

I think Houston could definitely be a landing spot if they can't get a sucker to build them an arena or if the Bettman and the league finally give up on that market. Houston is a huge market and the basketball owners in the past have expressed interest in bringing a team there.

Arizona is gonna go to salt lake. Bettman works for the owners and the owners are rumored to be tired of the shenanigans in Arizona. 

Atlanta is a pipe dream and right now Houston is also. 

salt lake can stay in the central. It makes 2 much sense. 

Edited by Goalie

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

Arizona is gonna go to salt lake. Bettman works for the owners and the owners are rumored to be tired of the shenanigans in Arizona. 

Atlanta is a pipe dream and right now Houston is also. 

salt lake can stay in the central. It makes 2 much sense. 

Houston is far more certain than Salt Lake City. They've been biding their time like True North did. 

1 minute ago, JCon said:

Houston is far more certain than Salt Lake City. They've been biding their time like True North did. 

Yup 4th most populous city in the United States the league would kill to have a team there. Either expansion or relocation a team is going there