Blue Bombers - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

15 hours ago, wbbfan said:

You should’ve watched them all, dominant through most of our games in the score board? We’ve turned it up late in a big chunk of our wins after playing well but being close. 

same argument comes out after each loss or ugly game. But our record! It’s one loss, no 2 no 3 but our record!!!! Edmonton bc and Saskatchewan have embarrassed us in games. Ott beat us and we made ham look like contenders. 

Basement dweller basement dweller middle of the road east team. They didn’t answer the bell vs ott, bc, ssk. I mean that’s a great job of coming right back if you want to lose a division semi 

The only team that has embarrassed us is BC. If beating Edmonton by 30 points, or losing the LDC in OT to Saskatchewan is embarrassing us, then you have a very strange definition of embarrassment. Teams lose, even really good teams lose, even Grey Cup champs lose, through the course of a season. You are standing on the edge of the cliff prematurely imo. And yes, I consider 8 out of 9 wins by two scores or more, 1st place in the West with a .750 winning % to be dominant. Go back and watch the 2021 season, we had similar problems playing for 60 minutes for the first 2/3 of the season but would put it together and win in dominating fashion in the 4th Q. That's been our MO for a few years now. Wear teams down. Now all of a sudden we are not as dominant as we used to be? We have a few more warts maybe, but this season's team is the most explosive and dangerous team we have fielded over the past few years imo. Once we clean up the inconsistency that we've been showing, and yes that's very fixable, this team is as good a Bomber team as we've had over the past few years.

15 hours ago, 17to85 said:

If they wilted constantly they would have been blown out a bunch. They do fight back and win or lose some close ones so they don't wilt. They keep fighting. They might come in sloppy but seldom do they wilt.

Yea...wilting or being embarrassed is quite the hyperbole imo. Are there games we played poorly in stretches, lost focus etc.....yes...but really we only lost one game where we wilted and were embarrassed in. The other losses were simply not matching the other team's intensity at key moments of, or the beginning of the game. Saskatchewan didn't beat us last week because of anything they did, they beat us because we somehow didn't bring intensity to the LDC and by the time we found it we had pissed away the 1st half.

14 hours ago, Booch said:

the act tho of the wilting...coming out unprepared...needing big comebacks, and times looking right dysfunctional has to be concerning....cause it's not an anomaly now....sorta becoming a somewhat regular trend, and in a playoff format where it's one and done....not a series.....thats not a good thing

You are right. We gotta put in 60 minutes. This is all highly and pretty easily fixable stuff tho. We are heading down the stretch with a highly veteran team, I can't imagine a circumstance in which this is something that lingers much longer. Some butts will be kicked that need kicking and this team will be ready. We wilted in one game, where we thought the game was in hand, we started poorly in 2 others losing one and making a massive comeback blowout victory. This isn't as bad as it seems. It's just not what we are used to seeing but like I said, the vets in the locker room will step up and by the end of the season we will be playing 60 minute football wire to wire. If we do that, I am not sure there is anyone that can beat us.

Edited by GCn20

4 hours ago, GCn20 said:

The only team that has embarrassed us is BC. If beating Edmonton by 30 points, or losing the LDC in OT to Saskatchewan is embarrassing us, then you have a very strange definition of embarrassment. Teams lose, even really good teams lose, even Grey Cup champs lose, through the course of a season. You are standing on the edge of the cliff prematurely imo. And yes, I consider 8 out of 9 wins by two scores or more, 1st place in the West with a .750 winning % to be dominant. Go back and watch the 2021 season, we had similar problems playing for 60 minutes for the first 2/3 of the season but would put it together and win in dominating fashion in the 4th Q. That's been our MO for a few years now. Wear teams down. Now all of a sudden we are not as dominant as we used to be? We have a few more warts maybe, but this season's team is the most explosive and dangerous team we have fielded over the past few years imo. Once we clean up the inconsistency that we've been showing, and yes that's very fixable, this team is as good a Bomber team as we've had over the past few years.

The offence may be explosive but it's also simplistic, it relies on the athletic heroics of Brady pounding and Zach running and gunning from the hip, if a team trips up either of them the offensive game plan falters.  People like to say LaPo ran a boring ball control offence, true, but it was much more calm, consistent and relied a lot less on desperation passing.  Last game the Bomber offence performed a lot like Jake Maier with under 3 minutes to go in a game, every completion was a life-safer and every incompletion a heartbreaker.

Neg lister reveal out again. https://www.cfl.ca/2023/09/08/ten-players-revealed-from-each-cfl-teams-negotiation-list/

Anyone know anything interesting about these guys?

WINNIPEG BLUE BOMBERS

NAME POSITION COLLEGE
Levi Bell DL Texas State
Quinton Bell DL Prairie View
Ian Book QB Notre Dame
Carter Bradley QB South Alabama
Kuony Deng DL California
Darren Grainger QB Georgia State
Mark Gronowski QB South Dakota State
Oliver Martin WR Nebraska
Garrett Shrader QB Syracuse
Ontaria Wilson WR Florida State

1 minute ago, blue85gold said:

Neg lister reveal out again. https://www.cfl.ca/2023/09/08/ten-players-revealed-from-each-cfl-teams-negotiation-list/

Anyone know anything interesting about these guys?

WINNIPEG BLUE BOMBERS

NAME POSITION COLLEGE
Levi Bell DL Texas State
Quinton Bell DL Prairie View
Ian Book QB Notre Dame
Carter Bradley QB South Alabama
Kuony Deng DL California
Darren Grainger QB Georgia State
Mark Gronowski QB South Dakota State
Oliver Martin WR Nebraska
Garrett Shrader QB Syracuse
Ontaria Wilson WR Florida State

dare I say...does it matter when none would likely get on the roster??...lol....2 dline guys tho have some promise if they could get here

1 hour ago, Fatty Liver said:

The offence may be explosive but it's also simplistic, it relies on the athletic heroics of Brady pounding and Zach running and gunning from the hip, if a team trips up either of them the offensive game plan falters.  People like to say LaPo ran a boring ball control offence, true, but it was much more calm, consistent and relied a lot less on desperation passing.  Last game the Bomber offence performed a lot like Jake Maier with under 3 minutes to go in a game, every completion was a life-safer and every incompletion a heartbreaker.

I agree. I think we have become over reliant on the long ball in the passing game. I get why when you have Lawler, Schoen, and Demski but we need to pick our shots a little better.

1 hour ago, Booch said:

dare I say...does it matter when none would likely get on the roster??...lol....2 dline guys tho have some promise if they could get here

Now you're just being silly. I get your frustration but our roster has been very rookie friendly over the past few years and they have played some dynamite ball for us too. Young guys have been breaking through on our team and our scouting has been exemplary. Alford, Nichols, Schoen etc. All given the keys to the kingdom in their rookie years and excelled and helped us win Grey Cups.

Edited by GCn20

Just now, GCn20 said:

Now you're just being silly. I get your frustration but our roster has been very rookie friendly over the past few years and they have played some dynamite ball for us too.

guess people dont get sarcasm....many toss it out but fail to recognize it

just an aside, something I have heard from a very trusted person connected to the agents...that 2 teams have either kicked Haba tires/reached out....or will be, and 1 being a team in the West, and like donuts.....

3 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

All they would have to do is put him on the AR 

not if Haba says eff this I out of here.....he has to agree to be on the PR...so accepting an offer is his decision to no longer agree...thats how it works...the only caveat being the team signing him needs to have him on roster...and really....do you think that Osh would pull Jackson off to accomodate that?...like really?....he would just give us some lame answer next week in a media scrum how they couldn't do anything about it...blah blah blah...and that would be that

Edited by Booch

2 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

So you think he would agree to go on the PR and decline to be put in the AR? 

This is getting crazy 

he has to agree to a PR spot....but if someone claims him, and he accepts....game over.....what part of that do you not get....he agrees to sign, it's effectively saying no thanks to the PR here....and from being on a PR multiple times...I know that as fact

Same with going on a 6 game....yu dont have to, and can refuse, and be set free...been there as well, so know what I am yammerin' on about

Edited by Booch

27 minutes ago, Booch said:

he has to agree to a PR spot....but if someone claims him, and he accepts....game over.....what part of that do you not get....

What he's saying is the Bombers could simply place Haba on the AR to prevent the poaching from happening.

See here, back in 2018 this was all discussed. Unless something has changed between now and then. I bolded the important part.

https://3downnation.com/2018/09/21/top-five-practice-squad-players-worth-poaching/

Though such moves are rare, CFL teams are permitted to claim players off opposing practice rosters.

Three provisions must be met in order for such a transaction to take place.

Firstly, the team making the claim must have an active roster spot available for the player in question. A player can only be transferred from a practice roster to an active roster — not merely to another practice roster.

Secondly, the team that owns the player’s rights can retain them by moving the player to the active roster, one-game injured reserve or six-game injured reserve. This can prove problematic for teams, however, as roster space is limited.

Thirdly, the player in question must consent to the transfer. Going to a new team is always in the player’s best financial interest — active roster spots pay considerably more than practice roster spots — but may not be desirable for other reasons.

And yes, if Haba is as good as we all believe, I am sure O’Shea would protect him from being poached.

1 minute ago, MOBomberFan said:

What he's saying is the Bombers could simply place Haba on the AR to prevent the poaching from happening.

See here, back in 2018 this was all discussed. Unless something has changed between now and then. I bolded the important part.

https://3downnation.com/2018/09/21/top-five-practice-squad-players-worth-poaching/

Though such moves are rare, CFL teams are permitted to claim players off opposing practice rosters.

Three provisions must be met in order for such a transaction to take place.

Firstly, the team making the claim must have an active roster spot available for the player in question. A player can only be transferred from a practice roster to an active roster — not merely to another practice roster.

Secondly, the team that owns the player’s rights can retain them by moving the player to the active roster, one-game injured reserve or six-game injured reserve. This can prove problematic for teams, however, as roster space is limited.

Thirdly, the player in question must consent to the transfer. Going to a new team is always in the player’s best financial interest — active roster spots pay considerably more than practice roster spots — but may not be desirable for other reasons.

And yes, if Haba is as good as we all believe, I am sure O’Shea would protect him from being poached.

What is not mentioned three tho is...said player has to agree to the 6 game....as well as the PR.....so it's not that cut and dried....If player wants to leave...he can

Just now, Booch said:

What is not mentioned three tho is...said player has to agree to the 6 game....as well as the PR.....so it's not that cut and dried....If player wants to leave...he can

What about the active roster? If he has already agreed to go on our PR now, I have a hard time imagining him refusing to get back on the active roster if we did so to prevent his poaching

What about the active roster? If he has already agreed to go on our PR now, I have a hard time imagining him refusing to get back on the active roster if we did so to prevent his poaching

without a guarantee to stay on it he may...why would he agree to just be dumped off it again?....dunno what he would do, but also know layers want to lay, especially a rookie new to the league trying to either establish themselves, and or get film

I have no faith tho that we would add him if it came down to it...fact being Osh didn't deem him as necessary in first place

1 minute ago, Booch said:

without a guarantee to stay on it he may...why would he agree to just be dumped off it again?....dunno what he would do

Just trying to understand here, could a player actually refuse to be promoted from the PR to the active roster and just go to another team? Regardless of what the team holding his contract says about it? That I don't get in this scenario. Seems to me the team with the contract has 100% of the leverage

Just trying to understand here, could a player actually refuse to be promoted from the PR to the active roster and just go to another team? Regardless of what the team holding his contract says about it? That I don't get in this scenario. Seems to me the team with the contract has 100% of the leverage

on a PR your original contract become null and void....you are on a PR deal at that point