Queen Elizabeth Has Died

SpeedFlex27

9 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

The Monroe Doctrine was pre civil war.

California and Oregon were states that joined pre civil war.

Most of what we'd call West today (Washington, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Nevada was 1870 or later.

This has been your history nerd commercial.

BTW: the Mexican troops that took the Alamo claim that they found Davey Crockett there alive and hiding under a pile of bodies. They hanged him.

7 hours ago, Tracker said:

And that was some 70 years after the American war of independence, but there was no such resistance to the elimination of slavery in Canada. As you likely know, Canada was the northern end of the "underground railway" where runaway slaves were tolerated if not welcomed. There was some degree of resentment about Upper Canada being flooded with ex-slaves.

Yes.  You've hit on one of my 'pet topics.'

1. This was the Canadian government's primary incentive for building a railroad from coast to coast and working towards Confederation.  They were concerned about the American military might, and some bitter feelings that might still linger, from slavery and the Civil War.  Canada supported the Underground Railroad, but Canada was a British colony, and Britain was the largest buyer of American cotton. And make no mistake, Canada would have benefitted from this, due to Britain's mercantile policies with its colonies. In the eyes of many Americans, the British colonists on their northern flank...were hypocrites.

2. And yes, many Canadians resented the escaped slaves, and most of them never got more than menial jobs.  But I'd bet almost any job was better than the brutality of a southern plantation.

14 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Yes.  You've hit on one of my 'pet topics.'

1. This was the Canadian government's primary incentive for building a railroad from coast to coast and working towards Confederation.  They were concerned about the American military might, and some bitter feelings that might still linger, from slavery and the Civil War.  Canada supported the Underground Railroad, but Canada was a British colony, and Britain was the largest buyer of American cotton. And make no mistake, Canada would have benefitted from this, due to Britain's mercantile policies with its colonies. In the eyes of many Americans, the British colonists on their northern flank...were hypocrites.

2. And yes, many Canadians resented the escaped slaves, and most of them never got more than menial jobs.  But I'd bet almost any job was better than the brutality of a southern plantation.

I'm not entirely sure about this, but I seem to recall that there were two events that spurred the trans-Canada railroad. One was the unrest among the Metis as a result of provocation by settlers and the indifference of Canadian authorities. The second was the the bungled attempted invasion of Irish nationalist Fenians who gathered in Minnesota and tried to organize an invasion and seizure of lands in Manitoba. They apparently thought they could either hold the land as an Irish free state or possibly trade the lands back in exchange for British withdrawal from Ireland. They fell to quarreling among themselves and the movement disintegrated. There were rumours that Louis Riel promised to help them in exchange for concessions.

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The Monroe Doctrine was half a century after the Civil War. The US still hadn't expanded west out of the colonial states in 1823. That would come but not yet. 

The Boston Tea Party occurred in 1773, aprox. one hundred years before the Civil War.  The colonies I was referring to became the 13 original states.

Edited by Fatty Liver

Just now, Fatty Liver said:

The Boston Tea Party occurred in 1773, aprox. one hundred years before the Civil War.  The colonies I was referring to became the 13 original states.

Just now, Fatty Liver said:

Sorry, I meant the War of Independence from Britain. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/queen-funeral-national-holiday-or-not-1.6580582

The date of Queen Elizabeth's funeral will be marked in Canada with a national holiday, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Tuesday.

"We have ... chosen to move forward with a federal holiday on Monday [Sept. 19]," Trudeau said in New Brunswick, where he is attending a Liberal caucus retreat. 

"We will be working with the provinces and the territories to try and see that we're aligned on this. There are still a few details to be worked out, but declaring an opportunity for Canadians to mourn on Monday is going to be important."

Unless the provinces come on board with the plan, only federally regulated workers will get the day off work — similar to the way Remembrance Day is observed. About 85 to 90 per cent of workers are regulated by provincial governments.

55 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Come on Stefanson please?

I'm old enough to remember when Kent Road did the Lord's Prayer before O Canada. After Grade 1 I went do a different school and that school never did it. When I went back there for Elections duties 6 years ago it was scrapped (I can understand why)

Edited by iHeart

3 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I fully expect those who spoke out against the concept of the Monarchy to pick up the slack and go to work that day. 

I'm an atheist who celebrates Christmas.  I'd take a day off for the Queen's funeral.  Hell, I even take Victoria Day off every year.