Queen Elizabeth Has Died

SpeedFlex27

Regardless of what anyone thinks of the monarchy this is a significant event. She was still our head of state for 70 years! The impact might not be immediate but her passing will likely change politics in many commonwealth countries. I be the monarchy is ditched in more than a few commonwealth countries going forward.

She was an excellent monarch, that was extremely adept at moving with the times and with grace and dignity. Her political influence helped lead to the end of apartheid in South Africa. Her influence on feminism cannot be overstated. These just two of many reasons to mourn her loss. RIP. God save the Queen.

Edited by GCn20

16 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

PM identified Charles as “King Charles III” but some speculation that he might opt for “King George VII”. 

People Mag has said he has ascended the throne as Charles III (I'm surprised he's the third I would have thought there were more than that)

My grandparents were staunch British and believed in the monarchy, so I got a lot of that as a kid. I'm proud of my British heritage, and Canada's relationship with the monarchy (though, the colonizer aspect of it all is something that needs reckoning with). Not sure how accurate it is, but I've really learned a lot from watching The Crown. 

1 hour ago, iHeart said:

People Mag has said he has ascended the throne as Charles III (I'm surprised he's the third I would have thought there were more than that)

The name doesn't have the best track record.  Charles I was executed and Charles II (his son) was possibly poisoned to death... not really all that surprising nobody wanted to follow in those footsteps. Charles II had no legitimate children so there was nobody to follow him anyway.  The crown went to his younger brother, James II, who was then deposed.  There has never been another King James since then either.

Interesting side note - when William eventually takes the throne, he will be the 1st direct descendant of Charles II to sit on the throne since Princess Diana has blood ties to two of Charles illegitimate kids.

7 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

The name doesn't have the best track record.  Charles I was executed and Charles II (his son) was possibly poisoned to death... not really all that surprising nobody wanted to follow in those footsteps. Charles II had no legitimate children so there was nobody to follow him anyway.  The crown went to his younger brother, James II, who was then deposed.  There has never been another King James since then either.

Interesting side note - when William eventually takes the throne, he will be the 1st direct descendant of Charles II to sit on the throne since Princess Diana has blood ties to two of Charles illegitimate kids.

Eventually indeed, Charles is in his 70s...and yeah I've known about that James the II tidbit.....actually both  Diana and Charles were able to trace that far back (would that make Camilla the Queen mother if she outlives Charles?)

1 minute ago, Wideleft said:

The notion of royalty is ridiculous at best.  Born to rule?  Give me a break.

Someone just died that millions of people  care about . You can be as anti monarch as you want but the thoughtful and kind thing to do would be to leave them to mourn in there own way . Making jokes Iwithin  hours IS thoughtless and ignorant towards them regardless of your own opinion.