2021 Blue Bombers Training Camp/Pre-Season Stuff

Noeller

15 hours ago, Tracker said:

I remember him as positionally sound and a heavy hitter.

Yeah lanky guy that delivers big hits and he seems to have a knack for causing turnovers.

15 hours ago, Tracker said:

I remember him as positionally sound and a heavy hitter.

Yeah lanky guy that delivers big hits and he seems to have a knack for causing turnovers.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say between Darvin, Bighill, Jeffcoat, Willie, Jake, Harris and Josh Johnson, there’s gonna be one guy who has more or less fallen behind in the last 600 days and won’t make the team.

IMO, we can be confident that our scouts have done their job, they’ve had tons of time. But our roster is going to look real different, I think.

16 minutes ago, Mike said:

I’m going to go out on a limb and say between Darvin, Bighill, Jeffcoat, Willie, Jake, Harris and Josh Johnson, there’s gonna be one guy who has more or less fallen behind in the last 600 days and won’t make the team.

IMO, we can be confident that our scouts have done their job, they’ve had tons of time. But our roster is going to look real different, I think.

You might be right about falling behind but I think the vets will get the benefit of the doubt out of TC. Our management is quite loyal

there’s a lot of odds going against the CFL rookies/new comers:

- no pre-season games
- learning curve to adjust to pro/CFL game
- coaches desire to field a vet-heavy roster because of a shortened season

I understand that the vets havent played for 600 days but we can say the same for most of these rookies/new comers too. 

And by all accounts, the coaches and the athletic staff are monitoring these vets for the past few months.

Edited by M.O.A.B.

12 hours ago, M.O.A.B. said:

- no pre-season games

I understand that the vets havent played for 600 days but we can say the same for most of these rookies/new comers too. 

And by all accounts, the coaches and the athletic staff are monitoring these vets for the past few months.

At the same time the time off for vets and short intense season is going to be hell to try to stay healthy through and play at a high level. Rookies who haven't missed a big chunk of time can be a critical tool.

The team that balances these factors is most likely to succeed. 

13 hours ago, M.O.A.B. said:

- no pre-season games

I don’t so much see it as a vet vs rookie issue, but as an age issue and a talent issue with all of the newcomers coming in. 

there is a TON of new talent on our roster, big talent too. I wouldn’t be surprised if we had 5-6 new starters.

On 2021-07-01 at 7:30 PM, Noeller said:

That's super weird but interesting... How the hell did he hook up with a Winnipeg chick?? 

I also thought it was strange they didn't mentioned how a guy from Illinois who played most of his college and pro career there... ended up with a girl from Winnipeg... 

On 2021-07-02 at 11:31 AM, Bubba Zanetti said:

Even with the departures of Rose, Sayles and Nevis our D is still going to be the class of the league. Our front 7 is second to none. Josh Johnson will slide seamlessly into one of the vacated secondary spots and surely there's at least one diamond among the 9648 DB's were bringing to camp lol.

in case anyone is curious... I counted and there are 27 players listed as CB or DB currently on the roster.... your estimate was close...

18 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Interesting takes on the state of the Bombers for 2021 from Naylor and Lalji.......

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/~2233959

Lol stupid take. All over the place, to be honest. 

“too old here, not experienced enough there”

What did Naylor want us to do? It basically sounds like he thinks we should’ve signed the type of player that doesn’t exist - the young unknown with a proven track record. There’s a point to be made in regards to some of our key pieces aging, but we’ve gotta trust that two years to scout has allowed our front office to find the pieces that can replace guys whose wheels fall off. 

14 minutes ago, Mike said:

Lol stupid take. All over the place, to be honest. 

“too old here, not experienced enough there”

What did Naylor want us to do? It basically sounds like he thinks we should’ve signed the type of player that doesn’t exist - the young unknown with a proven track record. There’s a point to be made in regards to some of our key pieces aging, but we’ve gotta trust that two years to scout has allowed our front office to find the pieces that can replace guys whose wheels fall off. 

I dont think this was meant in a bad way at all. It is something worth mentioning and if the bombers aren't in the grey cup this year it could be because one or two of these guys has a drop off. I think one of the interesting storylines going into this season is going to be how these vets play with the year off not just bomber vets but league wide. You can make the argument for someone like Collaros that it will help in the long run but I wonder how it will effect other positions. 

Bombers roster page is now updated with jersey #s. FWIW, there are some with identical #s:
17 - WR Blake Jackson, DB Mazzi Wilkins
20 - RB Brady Oliveira, DB Jamalcolm Liggins
22 - RB Kyle Borsa, DB Ranthony Texada
25 - RB Joshua Caldwell, DB Prince Robinson
57 - OL Tyler Johnson, LB Tanner Cadwallader
84 - WR Malcolm Lewis, WR ArDarius Stewart
91 - DL Connor Griffith, DL Andree Saint-Amour
no number yet - WR Mekale McKay, LB Moe Mason

Edited by M.O.A.B.

Of course, TSN & 3DN both call the Ti Cats a "Super Team". How many 30 plus year olds are on that team yet no talk of them being "Over The Hill" like the talk of the Bombers are. The only difference between the 2 is at the qb position with Dane Evans & Jeremiah Massoli as both have CFL experience. We have Collaros who is a GC winner & Sean McGuire who has thrown 3 CFL passes. But two years ago, Evans hadn't thrown a single pass either when Massoli went down with his Achilles injury.

You can't make a big deal about McGuire being unproven, really.

Everyone besides Hamilton is screwed if their starter goes down.

I mean, Toronto has Arbuckle/MBT. Bethel-Thompson is decent, put up nice stats last year and his record

Plus it has been said plenty, who were Arbuckle and Evans going into the '19 season? And I know most on here would rather chug a bottle of bleach than give the Riders credit, but career backup Fajardo got pressed into action and took them to 1st in the west. 🤐

You can and I will make a big deal about McGuire's lack of experience. Collaros is injury prone. He only played 4 games last year. He's played in18 games twice in his 9 year career, the last time was 2017. Not having any experience behind him is one of our biggest issues. Hamilton's QB situation puts them in the #1 spot at least until the season starts.

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

You can and I will make a big deal about McGuire's lack of experience. Collaros is injury prone. He only played 4 games last year. He's played in18 games twice in his 9 year career, the last time was 2017. Not having any experience behind him is one of our biggest issues. Hamilton's QB situation puts them in the #1 spot at least until the season starts.

#1 spot before the season starts? Imagine if that were a real thing. 🤣