2021 (??) CFL Season

Noeller

49 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Moon is way beyond my time 

Flutie was a star but honestly he's more known for his miracle td and Buffalo Bill's NFL time. Personally wasn't in to football as much then 

No, Flutie just played 8 "unimportant & forgettable" CFL seasons. Here are all of his CFL stats. He attempted 4854 passes & completed 2,975 for 41,355 yards. He threw 270 TD passes & had 155 interceptions with a QB Rating of 82.6. He had 2 seasons where he threw for over 6,000 yards & 4 seasons of over 5,000 yards. He had 3 seasons where he threw 44, 47 & 48 TD passes as well as 2 seasons with 32 & 38 TD passes. He rushed the ball 704 times for 8,816 yards & scored 88 touchdowns with an average gain of 6.6 yards. Had he stayed in the CFL & not returned to the NFL, he probaly would have become the CFL's All Time leading passer at the time. 

As far as CFL awards go, he was the CFL's MOP in 1991, 92, 93, 94, 96 & 97. He was the Grey Cup's Most Valuable Player in 1992, 96 & 97. He was a CFL West Division All Star in 1991, 92, 93, 94 & a CFL East Division All Star in 1996 & 97.  He was All CFL in 1991, 92, 93, 94, 96 & 97. He was named a CFLPA All Star in 1997.

You're young so I'll cut you some slack but our league had some some great players before 2010. 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47kwpgyjzsfbmekytmxw

Edited by SpeedFlex27

39 minutes ago, JCon said:

I'll take Dunnigan, Moon, and Flutie long beforeni take Reilly. 

Reilly had been interested in getting paid far ore than winning. I don't have a problem with that but I think it speaks to his character and why he has so few rings. 

BLM took a pay cut with the pandemic. I'm not sure Reilly did. I never heard that he did anyway but he might have. I know he bitched about not being paid when the CFL season was cancelled. 

3 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I remember Flutie as the guy who could get out of the pocket and draw everyone towards himself and just before they reached him he would shovel pass it forward and the d would bite on it every single time.  

He drove DC's nuts. He could scramble under pressure & improvise. Probably the best CFL QB that could ever do that.

4 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I remember Flutie as the guy who could get out of the pocket and draw everyone towards himself and just before they reached him he would shovel pass it forward and the d would bite on it every single time.  

he was like Wayne Gretzky.  You couldn't lay a hand on him, he could move around so well.  He didn't take a lot of punishment and I think that was his secret, he didn't wear down over the course of the season like other QBs.

1 minute ago, johnzo said:

he was like Wayne Gretzky.  You couldn't lay a hand on him, he could move around so well.  He didn't take a lot of punishment and I think that was his secret, he didn't wear down over the course of the season like other QBs.

Defensive Linemen & Linebackers were too tired to tackle him. 

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

He drove DC's nuts. He could scramble under pressure & improvise. Probably the best CFL QB that could ever do that

Doug Flutie was basically a cheat code. Guy was stupidly good. Too young to have seen Warren Moon but from my perspective Flutie the best to play the position in the CFL. 

Flutie once said early on (after his first year in BC) that he couldn’t believe how much of an advantage the offence had, with the bigger field, unlimited pre-snap motion, and the yard off the ball. Said that it was such an unfair advantage for QBs compared to the NFL that unless he made a mistake he felt like defences really had no chance to stop a drive because of the way the game was set up. Then he went out and threw for 6600 yards next year. The Gretzky comparison is apt, since he saw the game differently than everyone else and how to exploit it the best. It has been said by many older than I that the debate about greatest CFLer comes down to him and Jackie Parker, who I never saw play but can’t imagine being so much better than everyone else that he draws Flutie comparisons.

As for Reilly in his prime, it to me is a coin flip between him and Bo Levi as the best (at their peaks Reilly has more yards, Bo more wins and MOP awards, TDs are a toss-up) but even going back 10 years Calvillo produced at a higher level and for longer than either of them. Add in Moon and Brock and I would not see Reilly as anything that special compared to those guys. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

Flutie was a Heisman trophy winner ....a very rare breed to ever come and play the three down game....The NFL said he was too small to ever be anything in their league....While he finally ended up back there he sure lit up our league and proved that their assessment of him, in his early days, was out to lunch....Glad he played here and certainly gave the CFL a lot of recognition......Two of my favourite qb's to ever play in the CFL....Tom Clements and Flutie.......(besides Ploen of course and a forgotten guy by the name of Jim Van Pelt)

Edited by Stickem

20 minutes ago, Noeller said:

******* kids around here, I swear..... 

Flutie 

Moon

Ray

Dunigan 

(and maybe Calvillo) 

All before Reilly or BLM. 

Ac above or atleast equal to ray. 

1 and 2 may not be equaled in my life time if ever. 

If I had to pick one guy to win one game in their prime though I'd take Reilly and Dunnigan over ray. 

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Nope. Just flat out wrong. Ray might be the most underrated CFL player ever and AC the most overrated (it's him or Allen)... 

Curious why you see AC as overrated. The all-time passing yardage mark might be a misleading thing that is overhyped and leads to the “not as good as it would suggest” mentality, but he was a 3 time MOP, went over 5,000 yards 7 times, topping out at over 6,000 once with another 3 over 5,500, played 20 seasons, holds most of the all-time records in the regular season and playoffs, went to a record 8 Grey Cups and won 3 as a QB. 

And in that vein, although he is an all-time favourite around here, I would say Dunigan could slide into overrated territory. Was second-best to Flutie in his prime, and had a small window of super high success with a lot of injury issues. Lots of flash and swagger but the numbers and wins don’t match up to the other all-time greats. 

13 hours ago, Mark H. said:

I remember Flutie torching the Bombers in the Reinbolde era - with something like an 85% completion percentage. Knuckles gave up and just started gushing about Flutie. 

I saw Flutie once v. Bombers. He was unstoppable. maybe it was that game.

25 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Nope. Just flat out wrong. Ray might be the most underrated CFL player ever and AC the most overrated (it's him or Allen)... 

Ever since Edmonton made that 'stupidest trade of all time with Toronto' it has some how become an accepted fact - that Ray is not that good

It's ridiculous - first off, he played behind subpar Offensive Lines for most of his career in Edmonton - similar to Mike Reilly

I don't know what's up with the Elk's / Esk's recent history of shitty QB protection

I can't remember the year - but Ray passed for 5000 yards - playing behind an abysmal offensive line and no rushing attack to speak of

12 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Curious why you see AC as overrated. The all-time passing yardage mark might be a misleading thing that is overhyped and leads to the “not as good as it would suggest” mentality, but he was a 3 time MOP, went over 5,000 yards 7 times, topping out at over 6,000 once with another 3 over 5,500, played 20 seasons, holds most of the all-time records in the regular season and playoffs, went to a record 8 Grey Cups and won 3 as a QB. 

And in that vein, although he is an all-time favourite around here, I would say Dunigan could slide into overrated territory. Was second-best to Flutie in his prime, and had a small window of super high success with a lot of injury issues. Lots of flash and swagger but the numbers and wins don’t match up to the other all-time greats. 

More so than anyone else on my list, AC was a product of a good system... Surrounded with a lot more tools and weapons than others. When he didn't have everything perfect around him, he wasn't as good. As Mark says above, Frito made the most out of the least. 

Fist bump to Matty G for remembering Jeff Garcia. He was here for such a short period of time that I totally forgot about him. An NFL talent that should never have been up here. 

25 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Injuries were what stopped Dunigan. When healthy he had the scariest arm of them all.

13 minutes ago, Noeller said:

More so than anyone else on my list, AC was a product of a good system... Surrounded with a lot more tools and weapons than others. When he didn't have everything perfect around him, he wasn't as good. As Mark says above, Frito made the most out of the least. 

Fist bump to Matty G for remembering Jeff Garcia. He was here for such a short period of time that I totally forgot about him. An NFL talent that should never have been up here. 

Something to be said for what AC had around him for sure.

13 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

BLM took a pay cut with the pandemic. I'm not sure Reilly did. I never heard that he did anyway but he might have. I know he bitched about not being paid when the CFL season was cancelled. 

He drove DC's nuts. He could scramble under pressure & improvise. Probably the best CFL QB that could ever do that.

Yes he had a six sense when it came to  pocket pressure and would make more people miss  and then he  would scramble and  find an open receiver. I have never seen ANY Qb do it as well. None. 

17 minutes ago, Noeller said:

It could be argued that good players make good systems. Yes he had talent and an all-world running back for part of his run, but to be dominant  for over a decade, with all the roster turnover around him and multiple coaching staffs, he was the glue on those teams to my mind. Agree about Garcia too.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Ac was better in a variety of systems both balanced and west coast. Ray only excelled in one system. He had a better arm and better mobility now then Ray at his best too. 

Ray isn't under rated. He was great. 

31 minutes ago, Noeller said:

That's laughable. Ray never ran a different system. Ac was an Allstar in 6 plus types of offense. Ray had great wrs ac made weapons better.