2021 (??) CFL Season

Noeller

8 hours ago, Mark H. said:

In that case, they will extend him during the season. 

I am happy we played him 2 weeks ago. With a few more games under his belt - he would have beaten the Bombers. 

The Kid is good. No doubt about it. It wasn't his fault they lost. The Stamps secondary played like crap.  Little or no heat on Harris & they never really got to Harris so his confidence grew as the game went on. Stamps were robbed by the officials as Lemon was not offside. Mitchell is making $700,000 to be a pylon. His best days are behind him. If he continues to improve how can they justify not keeping him over Bo?

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

I can't believe I missed the "Guy who's played 3 ( and won 1) games should be kept over an all time great (I don't like Bo, but that's his resume so far) conversation." 

Lol I had a good laugh over that, thanks guys!

Yeah, it was Maier's fault they lost. Alrighty then. Don't know what game you watched. I had a good laugh over what you said. Mitchell couldn't run before his broken tibia so not even a month later he should be spry as an Elk if he plays Saturday, right? I mean, he has such a good OL blocking for him he shouldn't get touched, will he? He was also having issues throwing the ball coming off his shoulder surgery of 2 years ago. But hey, still play the beat up all time great just because... over the backup who is outplaying him.

They'll play Bo alright. Not because they should but because of his ridiculously high salary of over $700,000 a year.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

I can't believe I missed the "Guy who's played 3 ( and won 1) games should be kept over an all time great (I don't like Bo, but that's his resume so far) conversation." 

Lol I had a good laugh over that, thanks guys!

Kid has 3 300+ yard games in a row against the best defense in the league (us), the 2nd or 3rd best team in the west and the best team in the east. Meanwhile, we have 1 300+ yard game since the beginning of 2018. I dont know if we've had 3 in a row in 20 years. Oh and hes a 24 year old true rookie playing in his first 3 games in the cfl and as a pro. 

Lots of people were saying the stamps shoulda kept Arbuckle watching blm play this year. So yeah, kind of a big deal. Chris streveler was a revelation in a similar situation here when he put up 570 yards, and went 1-2. 

He beat montreal and very nearly beat us. 

Shake your head. 😆

26 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Yeah, it was Maier's fault they lost. Alrighty then. Don't know what game you watched. I had a good laugh over what you said. Mitchell couldn't run before his broken tibia so not even a month later he should be spry as an Elk if he plays Saturday, right? I mean, he has such a good OL blocking for him he shouldn't get touched, will he? He was also having issues throwing the ball coming off his shoulder surgery of 2 years ago. But hey, still play the beat up all time great just because... over the backup who is outplaying him.

They'll play Bo alright. Not because they should but because of his ridiculously high salary of over $700,000 a year.

That poor bastard went simple jack.

12 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Kid has 3 300+ yard games in a row against the best defense in the league (us), the 2nd or 3rd best team in the west and the best team in the east. Meanwhile, we have 1 300+ yard game since the beginning of 2018. I dont know if we've had 3 in a row in 20 years. Oh and hes a 24 year old true rookie playing in his first 3 games in the cfl and as a pro. 

Lots of people were saying the stamps shoulda kept Arbuckle watching blm play this year. So yeah, kind of a big deal. Chris streveler was a revelation in a similar situation here when he put up 570 yards, and went 1-2. 

He beat montreal and very nearly beat us. 

Shake your head. 😆

That poor bastard went simple jack.

You're right. In fact I've never once seen a CFL rookie QB come in and produce (It's almost like there's limited tape on him or something), only to fall back to earth. That's never once happened in the CFL. You must be right he should absolutely replace one of the best QB's the game has ever seen based on 3 performances....2 of which were L's.

I'm not saying he's not good. I'm not even saying he won't ever be a full time starter. I'm saying Dickenson knows far more about QB's than any one of us and as of right now, he's going with Bo (assuming he's healthy this week).

52 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Has Bo ever relied on running? I don't see you're point? How many sacks did the best Dline in the league have against that "good OL" as you put it? The back up outplayed him when he had a broken bone...in his leg...you think that's a fair comparison?

Maybe Bo comes back and stinks it up. I don't think that will happen but maybe. You still don't trade away even a serviceable QB in the CFL especially when you only have rookies in the lineup. lol. That would be a horrible decision....so I hope you're right.

You're right. In fact I've never once seen a CFL rookie QB come in and produce (It's almost like there's limited tape on him or something), only to fall back to earth. That's never once happened in the CFL. You must be right he should absolutely replace one of the best QB's the game has ever seen based on 3 performances....2 of which were L's.

I'm not saying he's not good. I'm not even saying he won't ever be a full time starter. I'm saying Dickenson knows far more about QB's than any one of us and as of right now, he's going with Bo (assuming he's healthy this week).

Has Bo ever relied on running? I don't see you're point? How many sacks did the best Dline in the league have against that "good OL" as you put it? The back up outplayed him when he had a broken bone...in his leg...you think that's a fair comparison?

Maybe Bo comes back and stinks it up. I don't think that will happen but maybe. You still don't trade away even a serviceable QB in the CFL especially when you only have rookies in the lineup. lol. That would be a horrible decision....so I hope you're right.

Lmao you think blm is one of the best ever. Hilarious. He hasn't been the best qb in the league. Elite sure. On a great team sure. Trade him and Reilly the stamps don't win any less. And edm don't win any. 

Ok name some guys who put up 3 300 yard games in their first 3 and disappeared. Against the top defense nearly set a record for consecutive completions. It's OK ill wait. 

Throwing is all about your legs man. You can easier play with a broken rib than a damaged leg. 

Bo is broken. You want to cut collaros and sign ac I mean his career is way better than collaros. Who cares if he can't replicate that level of play. 

10 hours ago, wbbfan said:

If we could trade gray and a pick for an elite wr I dont think we'd hesitate.

oh man I do not want to mess with our OL depth.  How many teams can lose their starting center like we did in late 2019 and keep on trucking?  Especially the way our OL beasted at the Grey Cup... 

One of these days I need to run the numbers to see how many OL a typical CFL team will start over the course of the season. I'd guess it's at least eight and for a team that has an unlucky run of injuries or underperformers, that number can get higher quick. I remember bomber games where 3/5 of the starters changed from week to week.

42 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Ok name some guys who put up 3 300 yard games in their first 3 and disappeared. Against the top defense nearly set a record for consecutive completions. It's OK ill wait.

Jennings had a string of 4 300+ games in 2016 -- after he had three games of film on him as a starter, which counts for something.  Casey Printers looked like freaking Warren Moon in 2004 -- no guff, at his best the guy was a beast surgeon with a gift for finding the most open man on every passing play. Watching him toy with the Bombers was one of the most frustrating things I've witnessed as a bomber fan, and why I take grim satisfaction in watching Deon Beasley end his CFL stay.  The worst numbers that Printers put up in any of his first few starts was 286.

Neither of those guys could turn around a crappy program, tho.  Only QB I've ever seen thrive on a crappy team is Mike Reilly, and he pays a price for that.

11 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

It makes no sense to trade Gray and a pick for an alleged elite WR, Canadian OL are gold. Besides let's say you did do a deal, are you getting Burnham, Walker, Lewis, Ellingston, Evans or somebody like that? Nope.

oh man can you imagine Collaros hucking up those high-trust 50/50 balls to Burnham?  You look at the crazy contested catches that Lawler has made, and then think that Burnham (at his best) is even better at those...

now that I think about that, sacrificing OL depth for a Collaros / Burnham bomb show would be high-risk, high-reward fun to watch, at first, anyway.

Edited by johnzo

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Lmao you think blm is one of the best ever. Hilarious. He hasn't been the best qb in the league. Elite sure. On a great team sure. Trade him and Reilly the stamps don't win any less. And edm don't win any. 

Throwing is all about your legs man. You can easier play with a broken rib than a damaged leg. 

Bo is broken. You want to cut collaros and sign ac I mean his career is way better than collaros. Who cares if he can't replicate that level of play. 

When they're both healthy, I would take BLM over Reilly - any game, any day.

I simply dislike a heavy reliance on 50/50 balls. And one thing Reilly did have in Edmonton...elite receivers. 

It's not that complicated - the Stamps can cut Bo or reneg his contract - if Meier keeps on playing well

7 hours ago, Brandon said:

Where would you rank him then?  Top 25 of all time?

I think three years ago Mitchell was at the height of his career. He was ranked 1 or 2 with Mike Reilly & then the injuries started. During his career, he's always had a great OL in front of him giving him lots of time to throw. Mitchell's always had great receivers catching for him so he did extremely well. Any good qb would have thrived in that environment surrounded by good to great running backs, strong OL, the best receiving corps in the CFL & the coaching of Dave Dickenson & Ryan Dinwiddie.

Well, this is not 2016, 2017 or 18. It's 2021. Things have dramatically changed for Mitchell. The running backs he has now seem okay but neither Kadeem Carey or Ante Milanovic-Litre are flashy. They don' t look like a threat to rip off may 20-30 yards or better runs. They certainly aren't the second coming of Jon Cornish. His OL is a patchwork of backups as well as replacements & the receivers other than Kamar Jorden are all young guys trying to find themselves as players & seem to be playing tentative. At one time Mitchell could have put the offense on his shoulders & won. But not with this team. Not with the players he has around him. Putting him in doesn't give the Stamps a better chance to win than playing Jake Maier. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

3 hours ago, johnzo said:

Jennings had a string of 4 300+ games in 2016 -- after he had three games of film on him as a starter, which counts for something.  Casey Printers looked like freaking Warren Moon in 2004 -- no guff, at his best the guy was a beast surgeon with a gift for finding the most open man on every passing play. Watching him toy with the Bombers was one of the most frustrating things I've witnessed as a bomber fan, and why I take grim satisfaction in watching Deon Beasley end his CFL stay.  The worst numbers that Printers put up in any of his first few starts was 286.

Neither of those guys could turn around a crappy program, tho.  Only QB I've ever seen thrive on a crappy team is Mike Reilly, and he pays a price for that.

Just because the other guys failed doesn't mean Jake Maier will. Printers was a headcase from the very first time he put on a CFL helmet & it eventually cost him his career. From what I've seen Maier is pretty well grounded. 

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Just because the other guys failed doesn't mean Jake Maier will. Printers was a headcase from the very first time he put on a CFL helmet & it eventually cost him his career. From what I've seen Maier is pretty well grounded. 

no, for sure, he could be the next Ricky Ray who is elite thru his entire career.  the vibe I get from tsn is that he's solid way beyond his years but that's TSN, they're going to pump the tires on any promising QB.

wbbfan just wanted examples of guys who put up a dominating few games at the start of their career and then busted later and it seemed like those guys were the obvious examples.

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

the receivers other than Kamar Jorden are all young guys trying to find themselves as players & seem to be playing tentative.

Really?  I've been impressed with Ambles, it seems like he's helping his qb out with good contested catches and lots of YAC.  And Huff is leading the league in receptions though he had a terrible terrible fumble at a very bad time against us.

2 hours ago, johnzo said:

Really?  I've been impressed with Ambles, it seems like he's helping his qb out with good contested catches and lots of YAC.  And Huff is leading the league in receptions though he had a terrible terrible fumble at a very bad time against us.

Ambles is being criticized by Calgary fans for being inconsistent & dropping too many passes. Hergay Mayala as well. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Just now, MOBomberFan said:

Mayala is certainly off to a slow start considering how good he looked at the end of 2019 but sophomore slumps are common. Ambles would walk on to any roster in the league at the moment. I think CGY fans are a bit spoiled and just can't handle a losing record

Yep. They're 1-4, but lady luck has not been on their side. Of their losses, only the 32-20 loss to the Elks was by more than a touchdown.

9 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Their game against the Bombers was closer than it needed to be - Lawler's TD should have counted. 

Sure...even then though... That would incrementally have increased the bombers score by +4 (TD+PAT instead of FG) which would have made the differential only a 6 pt win... Which, in the CFL is still pretty close...

9 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

Yep. They're 1-4, but lady luck has not been on their side. Of their losses, only the 32-20 loss to the Elks was by more than a touchdown.

I’m not shedding any tears for their lack of Lady Luck that’s for sure. I like having their horse with nothing to do but watch the other team score. :)

On 2021-09-08 at 12:01 PM, wbbfan said:

Right. I would consider going hurry up out of the 11/21 formation some times. Make defenses have to try and hurry up and defend the road graders.

what play do you call on O there?  the other team likely has their heavies in as well, so it's not a giant mismatch unless you're passing, unless I'm missing something.

22 hours ago, Mark H. said:

When they're both healthy, I would take BLM over Reilly - any game, any day.

I go the other way.  Have never seen a QB singlehandedly win a game like Reilly did against us in 2014.  Dude has a gift for being able to carry a team.

plus, Reilly is so dangerous running, and BLM doesn't really have that tool, he can do okay but he's not someone you have to game plan around.  At his height Reilly would destroy teams that didn't spy him and I think that's a pain in the ass for defences to always have to sacrifice a linebacker just to watch what the QB does  .. especially against a team with a great passing game.

No rust on BLM, I think he's a great athlete and he belongs in the Hall of Fame based on his won-loss record alone -- you can say what you want about how good the Calgary program is, but it all starts with him and during his glory years I think he was full value for that win-loss record.  But if I get to draft first overall in the twenty-teens I'm taking Reilly.

Edited by johnzo