Covid-19

JCon

5 hours ago, Noeller said:

Just for a bit of perspective....keep in mind population density there vs here. Also, while people are contracting the virus, severe outcomes are EXTREMELY rare with double dose. From what I've read, hospitalizations and ICU admissions are staying down, even if actual daily case counts are going back up...

I found this and thought I would quote you as you touched upon it before:

4 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

They just need a free pancake breakfast and you would have a lineup blocks long

That would require masks and social distancing.  So not sure Winkler would go for it. 

‐----‐----------------

Are you guys aware of any other province or state who had to send so many people out of state or province for medical care due to overloaded icu capacity? 

Edited by Colin Unger

Ultra-contagious Covid Delta variant is 'wreaking havoc' worldwide

In Bangladesh, troops are preparing to patrol the streets to enforce newly imposed stay-at-home orders. Australia, recently heralded as a pandemic success story, is returning to strict lockdowns. Scotland is seeing a record-breaking surge in new coronavirus infections. Indonesia is teetering on the edge of a public health catastrophe.

While many rich nations continue to ease public health guidelines as they gradually move in the direction of normalcy, an ultra-contagious Covid-19 mutation known as the Delta variant is spreading like wildfire in countries that have struggled to vaccinate their populations and in communities that have refused to participate in inoculation drives, forcing governments to resort to drastic measures contain the damage.

"The new curbs on travel and daily life stretched from Australia and Bangladesh to South Africa and Germany, where authorities over the weekend set new limits on travelers from 'virus-variant zones' such as Portugal and Russia," the Washington Post reported Monday. "South Africa on Sunday extended a nightly curfew and introduced a ban on gatherings, alcohol sales, indoor dining, and some domestic travel for 14 days to halt a worrying surge in cases driven by the Delta variant."

First detected in India, the Delta variant is rapidly emerging as the dominant coronavirus strain across the globe. The mutation—which is estimated to be 60% more transmissible than the highly contagious Alpha variant—has now been detected in more than 80 countries, and it accounts for over a third of all new cases in the United States.

The Delta strain is the "most contagious variant we've seen so far," said Dr. Ashish Jha, the dean of the Brown University School of Public Health.

"It is wreaking havoc around the world, and will cause problems here," Jha added, referring to the U.S.

Ultra-contagious Covid Delta variant is 'wreaking havoc' worldwide - Alternet.org

57 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

That would require masks and social distancing.  So not sure Winkler would go for it. 

‐----‐----------------

Are you guys aware of any other province or state who had to send so many people out of state or province for medical care due to overloaded icu capacity? 

Nope. We are the only province whose government slashed healthcare so badly as to create this crisis.

what I saw on Twitter via the associated press

The Delta variant is more transmissible than other variants but evidence is lacking on whether it will make people sicker than the others, according to doctors and medical experts

The Delta variant has been discovered in 80 countries so far and is known to spread more rapidly than other strains of COVID-19. It is currently the variant that is causing most new infections in the UK and represents about 20% of new infections in the US, The Associated Press reports. It is not yet clear if Delta makes people sicker or is deadlier, according to medical experts and doctors. Based on initial studies, it is believed COVID-19 vaccinations are effective against the Delta variant.

well we do know that people can die from the Delta variant (we had a couple of deaths from this variant here right?)

One of my co-workers said she couldn't wait to burn her masks.....yeah no, I'm not ditching the masks once I get my second dose because I take the bus to work, and buses don't guarantee social distancing. Plus the Delta Variant exists

I will get rid of the mask once I'm fully vaxxed and health orders allow for it. Can't wait for the mask mandate to be gone so we no longer need that pastor from Winnipeg bringing all his Winnipeg friends to Steinbach for an anti mask rally.  But if I was taking a bus every day I'd probably bring a gas mask!

8 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

They just need a free pancake breakfast and you would have a lineup blocks long

4 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

‐----‐----------------

Solved.

young-man-has-cut-eyeholes-260nw-1866858

11 hours ago, Tracker said:

Nope. We are the only province whose government slashed healthcare so badly as to create this crisis.

Ontario needed to bring in nurses and doctors from elsewhere in the country. Also, they flew people around the province to get to them to beds.

I was talking to one of my staff in Kelowna yesterday, mostly about the heat but we also talked vaccinations. Bonnie Henry is staunchly sticking to the 8 weeks between doses. They are not going to be prepared for a Delta wave at all. The are still only doing larger sites and no pharmacy availability at all. I can't imagine where MB would be if we hadn't started putting Moderna and Pfizer in pharmacies a couple weeks ago.

I understand that the heat is their greatest public health emergency this week but they need to get some second doses in arms.

I just looked up the stats, most recent I can find is BC is 29.6% fully vaxxed and MB is 39.8%. Could it be that they were telling the truth and supply was the issue and not our strategy?

Edited by GCJenks
Added Info.

6 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

I was talking to one of my staff in Kelowna yesterday, mostly about the heat but we also talked vaccinations. Bonnie Henry is staunchly sticking to the 8 weeks between doses. They are not going to be prepared for a Delta wave at all. The are still only doing larger sites and no pharmacy availability at all. I can't imagine where MB would be if we hadn't started putting Moderna and Pfizer in pharmacies a couple weeks ago.

I understand that the heat is their greatest public health emergency this week but they need to get some second doses in arms.

I just looked up the stats, most recent I can find is BC is 29.6% fully vaxxed and MB is 39.8%. Could it be that they were telling the truth and supply was the issue and not our strategy?

My wife's grandparents live in kelowna and they got their 2nd doses after her parents did in Alberta and my parents did in manitoba. Not sure what is going on in BC where 94/95 year olds didn't get a 2nd shot right away.

Misinformation, vaccine accessibility hurdles result in hundreds of COVID-19 deaths each week. Most COVID-19 deaths are among the unvaccinated — and their rationales aren't all partisan

The number of deaths from COVID-19 has drastically declined since the beginning of the year.

In January 2021, the country's deadliest month of the pandemic, the U.S. hit a grim record of nearly 4,000 people dying from complications of COVID-19 in one day. For the week ending June 28, 2021, only 168 new deaths were reported, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). While this is a promising trajectory that tangibly shows the success of the country's mass vaccination program, Americans are still dying every day. Most of those deaths are of those who are not yet vaccinated, generally due to either lack of accessibility to the vaccine or anti-vaccine attitudes. 

"In my experience treating COVID patients, the ones I'm seeing now are all exclusively unvaccinated individuals," said Dr. Amesh Adalja, a senior scholar at the Johns Hopkins Center, in a phone interview. "Most of which have some high-risk condition, they were obese or they're elderly people who just have refrained from getting vaccinated, that's exclusively what I've been taking care of for at least probably the last two months or so."

Adalja, who works in an intensive care unit in Pennsylvania, recently had a 45-year-old patient die from COVID-19 complications.

"More people need to be vaccinated, there's still not enough," Adalja said. "There are still major gaps in vaccine coverage that's causing some people to get infected, and some people to require hospitalization, and a couple hundred people to die every day."

Misinformation, vaccine accessibility hurdles result in hundreds of COVID-19 deaths each week | Salon.com

5 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

I am beyond tired of people like that.  If that's the best thing they can find to do, then those churches need new leaders. 

In this case its some wacky paster from Winnipeg who is between churches.  He's trying to use the whole anti-mask movement to grow a flock, start a new church, and make some money. 

6 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

In this case its some wacky paster from Winnipeg who is between churches.  He's trying to use the whole anti-mask movement to grow a flock, start a new church, and make some money. 

The Free Press today reported that a Steinbach pastor who appeared in PSA to promote the vaccine has been verbally attacked as a traitor. There is no reasoning with fanatics.

Its really a shame that there are elderly who are choosing not to be vaccinated. Think of the elderly who died before the vaccine was an option. Its a shame they weren't given the opportunity some of  the current elderly are passing up. 

17 minutes ago, Tracker said:

The Free Press today reported that a Steinbach pastor who appeared in PSA to promote the vaccine has been verbally attacked as a traitor. There is no reasoning with fanatics.

I know Kyle personally. Used to be my next door neighbor. He seems to be handling the situation with maturity. This will all pass with time. 

Edited by Colin Unger

7 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Its really a shame that there are elderly who are choosing not to be vaccinated. Think of the elderly who died before the vaccine was an option. Its a shame they weren't given the opportunity some of  the current elderly are passing up. 

I know Kyle personally. Used to be my next door neighbor. He seems to be handling the situation with maturity. This will all pass with time. 

I disagree.  There is an undercurrent of intolerance in all monoculture communities that manifests when one of their own dares to challenge the cultural norms. The simmering distrust and resentment may be silenced for awhile, but it will simply have gone underground, waiting for the next opportunity.

4 minutes ago, Tracker said:

I disagree.  There is an undercurrent of intolerance in all monoculture communities that manifests when one of their own dares to challenge the cultural norms. The simmering distrust and resentment may be silenced for awhile, but it will simply have gone underground, waiting for the next opportunity.

One thing that doesn't get enough coverage is all the people who have left a certain church in Steinbach that decided to disobey health orders.

26 minutes ago, Tracker said:

What i mean is once we are past this situation and people are no longer being forced to stay home for a year an a half and have their freedoms back there will be an improvement in mental health and the paranoia that comes with it.

2 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

No surprise there.  Thanks for the info. 

1 hour ago, Colin Unger said:

One thing that doesn't get enough coverage is all the people who have left a certain church in Steinbach that decided to disobey health orders.

Join the club on that front. 

But I'm not even sure why that wouldn't get covered - should be a great story with a dramatic slant and just enough negativity. 

9 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

No surprise there.  Thanks for the info. 

Join the club on that front. 

But I'm not even sure why that wouldn't get covered - should be a great story with a dramatic slant and just enough negativity. 

It was kind of funny. This church made a big deal out of religious oppression (which is a joke) and planned to go forward with a service with no capacity limits. It turned out not enough of the flock decided to show up so they ended up being below the 25% capacity mark.  I think also that the media doesn't need to cover this stuff because it ends up making national headlines and extreme libertarians across the country are emboldened by it. 

oh FFS, more negative side effects from AstraZeneca:

https://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-alert-rappel-avis/hc-sc/2021/75947a-eng.php

Key messages

• Very rare cases of capillary leak syndrome (CLS) have been reported following vaccination with AstraZeneca COVID-19 Vaccine. A history of CLS was noted in some of the cases. A fatal outcome has been reported.
  • AstraZeneca COVID-19 Vaccine and COVISHIELD (the version of the AstraZeneca COVID-19 Vaccine manufactured by the Serum Institute of India) are now contraindicated in individuals who have previously experienced episodes of CLS.
  • CLS is characterised by acute episodes of limb edema, hemoconcentration, hypoalbuminemia and hypotension leading to organ damage. Patients with an acute episode of CLS following vaccination require an urgent medical assessment. Intensive supportive therapy is usually warranted for this life-threatening condition.
  • Health Canada worked with the manufacturers of AstraZeneca COVID-19 Vaccine and COVISHIELD to update the Product Monographs for these products to include this new safety information, as well as other updates including additional guidance for healthcare professionals regarding thrombosis with thrombocytopenia syndrome.
  • The benefits of the AstraZeneca COVID-19 Vaccine and COVISHIELD in protecting Canadians from COVID-19 continue to outweigh the risks. Canadians are encouraged to get immunized with any of the COVID-19 vaccines that are authorized and available in Canada.