2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

2 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

I'd rather give Petermann a chance. I think Bailey can do similar things to Dressler as well, personally.

That’s a pretty big gamble to assume either one of those guys can find consistency of a Dressler or Tasker.  Even in a down year last year Tasker is probably our best slot.

I like Petermann better.  Bailey is a great story and clearly works hard but didn’t really see anything special to put him above any other import contending for a job.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

Just now, JuranBoldenRules said:

That’s a pretty big gamble to assume either one of those guys can find consistency.  I like Petermann better.  Bailey is a great story and clearly works hard but didn’t really see anything special to put him above any other import contending for a job.

He gets open and makes catches.

Thry both do.

I'd rather not pay FA prices for a guy like Tasker.

5 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

He gets open and makes catches.

Thry both do.

I'd rather not pay FA prices for a guy like Tasker.

Bailey didn’t do much down the field.  He was pretty good on screens and hitches then grabbing some YAC with effort.

I agree that Petermann has a lot of potential to be a weapon in the middle of the field and he’s also a guy that’s going to find an extra 2-3 yards every catch.

17 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I'd still tend towards 3 NI rec and an all-American D - still think Demski is being under-rated and both Woli and Peterman should be playing slot

Walker-Demski-Woli-Petermann-Adams

I wouldn’t mind that lineup if Demski mostly played field WR and worked inside here and there, also take some reps in the backfield with or without Harris in there with him.  The versatility in the routes he has success with isn’t there for him to be more than a 4th target IMO.  We bogged down a lot the past couple seasons when Lapo got enamored with Demski as more than a role player.

Walker would mostly play the boundary...Adams would mostly play inside.  We’d have to be prepared to switch the ratio so still need some guys on D who can play.  I don’t think we’d go truly all import on D because it would hamstring the team in game if there are injuries.

Tasker would add nothing to us that we dont have already inhouse..other thanks higher price point...pass

As for 3 canadian receivers...another big pass..we would have to roster at least 2 other more than capable backups as the ratio would have to be stipulated pre game..those 3 would give us basically all the same thing and really narrow/limit what we could/would do offensively

Why do you guys think Tasker’s price point is high?  There’s clearly a tiny market for him, he’s probably not going to get more than 90-95k hard money plus some incentives this season.  That’s like 15k more than Bailey in hard money and in the ballpark with Whitehead/Nelson.

There’s a chance he retires if he feels that’s not worth continuing to play vs his off-field interests.

1 hour ago, Stickem said:

Tasker seems like another Dressler.....Great 'little' receivers' but I think we're looking for a little more size....Tasker has a few miles left I would imagine but not the right fit..We can stop looking in any event as we are supposedly (rumour) going to announce Walker on Monday...I hope the poster is right and he is quite credible

Surprised LaPo doesn't seem to be interested in Tasker, he'd be a perfect fit for his O in Ottawa, at least a stopgap  until they can find a younger receiver to take his place.

18 minutes ago, BBlink said:

Tasker might not be bad. He does have the experience to get open and pick up key first downs. But I dunno if there's a tonne of upside there

Yeah but it’s win now.  There’s a sort of existential crisis people have with “upside.”  Why sign guys like Awe or Antigha and not just go with another talented guy who’s $20,000 cheaper but never played in the CFL who might be as good or better?   Because we know what we’ll get from them, there’s some reliability.

Tasker would be a nice pickup if we don’t land Walker.  That’s all I’m saying.  Lawler, Adams, Tasker would be a good crew with the NI’s.  And we have some nice options with a little experience behind them, plus any standout rookies.

20 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Surprised LaPo doesn't seem to be interested in Tasker, he'd be a perfect fit for his O in Ottawa, at least a stopgap  until they can find a younger receiver to take his place.

I’m not sure who ‘wouldn’t’ fit in Ottawa right now. 

20 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Yeah but it’s win now.  There’s a sort of existential crisis people have with “upside.”  Why sign guys like Awe or Antigha and not just go with another talented guy who’s $20,000 cheaper but never played in the CFL who might be as good or better?   Because we know what we’ll get from them, there’s some reliability.

Tasker would be a nice pickup if we don’t land Walker.  That’s all I’m saying.  Lawler, Adams, Tasker would be a good crew with the NI’s.  And we have some nice options with a little experience behind them, plus any standout rookies.

Yeah I get that. I wouldn't mind tasker. I just happen to think that between Nelson, Whitehead and Bailey someone will step up. They aren't raw rookies anymore

Edited by BBlink

17 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Also, much better than the not so distant past when we assumed no one was being signed in FA because there was scouting happening down south.  

The Riders released Thigpen this year. There was a comment made on RF that they released him because of his PED use and that we should do the same with Andrew Harris for the same reason. Are we comparing apples to oranges here?

Thigpen said he was out of football before signing with the Riders (2 years) and was using because he was "physique modeling". When he tested positive he had just come back to football and it hadn't cleared his system yet. In Andrew's case, he blamed a contaminated supplement was responsible for his positive test.

Harris tested positive for Metandienone, a PED that has fallen out of favour due to it's ineffective results. Thigpen for dehydrochloromethyltestosterone, a powerful anabolic steroid.

The Bombers have in Harris a player that is better, younger (32), is not injury prone, Canadian, a home town boy, and adamantly insists he never knowingly took any PEDs. 

I don't think the Riders released Thigpen because of his positive test. I think they released him because he was a 33 year old American with a history of injuries. 

Apples to oranges.

20 hours ago, BomberfanMKS said:

You'd be shocked how often Cops make constitutional errors which can allow guilty individuals get off, it's one of the reasons the law system is perceived as being biased against the poor in the US.  Since errors by cops can get people off, good (read:expensive) lawyers are far more likely to discover and exploit those errors.

Poor people can't afford the lawyers who have the resources to find the errors.

My post was based on the news article which explicitly states that a border agent called ahead to the checkstop to pull their car over because his dog signalled when it passed by him.  Unless the news report is almost entirely incorrect about the sequence of events it surely sounds like these guys will have a shot at getting off (EVEN IF they consented to the search, if the reason they were asked was due to the dog signalling the entire chain of evidence could end up being tossed)

Back in the late 80's I was stopped on route #62 about 50 miles East of El Paso, they had a  check-stop set up with an air-conditioned booth for border agents as it was a permanent installation.  At the time they were searching all passing cars for unauthorized Mexicans who would sneak across the border in the area and meet up with waiting transport, now apparently it's drugs.....or better yet illegal Mexicans with illegal drugs!   

15 minutes ago, J5V said:

The Riders released Thigpen this year. There was a comment made on RF that they released him because of his PED use and that we should do the same with Andrew Harris for the same reason. Are we comparing apples to oranges here?

Thigpen said he was out of football before signing with the Riders (2 years) and was using because he was "physique modeling". When he tested positive he had just come back to football and it hadn't cleared his system yet. In Andrew's case, he blamed a contaminated supplement was responsible for his positive test.

Harris tested positive for Metandienone, a PED that has fallen out of favour due to it's ineffective results. Thigpen for dehydrochloromethyltestosterone, a powerful anabolic steroid.

The Bombers have in Harris a player that is better, younger (32), is not injury prone, Canadian, a home town boy, and adamantly insists he never knowingly took any PEDs. 

I don't think the Riders released Thigpen because of his positive test. I think they released him because he was a 33 year old American with a history of injuries. 

Apples to oranges.

If it was a moral issue they kept him for a full season after the suspension.  Doesn't seem that way.

25 minutes ago, BBlink said:

Yeah I get that. I wouldn't mind tasker. I just happen to think that between Nelson, Whitehead and Bailey someone will step up. They aren't raw rookies anymore

Yah but both Dressler and Tasker have the intangible ability of knowing the playbook so well they see the play develop as a QB would, and instantly adjust to the situation.  Not many receivers ever reach that level.

Any receiver back from last year knows the system/playbook better than Tasker would coming in..and not sure what all this Dressleresque comparisons are about..he had one season which was relatively decent..but nothing awe inspiring.. go check his stats

And now he is older..and his track record has shown that he isnt a guy able to put in a full season..let alone 16 games..hard pass

Bailey though under untsized would be effective if seeing more than 2-4 targets a game..good hands..strong..fights for yards and was big in blocking scheme

Whitehead as well...if removed form the role Lapo was trying to force feed as well would be very effective and has the right attitude.. it gonna be Walker coming in..or nothing and I okay with that

We have 3 rights coming to camp who I very intruiging by and who may make some noise..to the point Bailey and or Lawler shouldn't get too comfy..and that's a good thing as it will bring out the best in the incumbants

32 minutes ago, Booch said:

Any receiver back from last year knows the system/playbook better than Tasker would coming in..and not sure what all this Dressleresque comparisons are about..he had one season which was relatively decent..but nothing awe inspiring.. go check his stats

And now he is older..and his track record has shown that he isnt a guy able to put in a full season..let alone 16 games..hard pass

Bailey though under untsized would be effective if seeing more than 2-4 targets a game..good hands..strong..fights for yards and was big in blocking scheme

Whitehead as well...if removed form the role Lapo was trying to force feed as well would be very effective and has the right attitude.. it gonna be Walker coming in..or nothing and I okay with that

We have 3 rights coming to camp who I very intruiging by and who may make some noise..to the point Bailey and or Lawler shouldn't get too comfy..and that's a good thing as it will bring out the best in the incumbants

Tasker- 5 catches 65 yards .39 TD per game 90 catches 1170 yard 7 TD per season

Dressler- 4 catches 62 yards .54 TD per game 72 catches 1116 10 TD per season

^ There's the career stats broken down per game and season.

Lawler is our star IMO.  Already right there and primed for a huge breakout with more usage.

3 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I wouldn’t mind that lineup if Demski mostly played field WR and worked inside here and there, also take some reps in the backfield with or without Harris in there with him.  The versatility in the routes he has success with isn’t there for him to be more than a 4th target IMO.  We bogged down a lot the past couple seasons when Lapo got enamored with Demski as more than a role player.

Walker would mostly play the boundary...Adams would mostly play inside.  We’d have to be prepared to switch the ratio so still need some guys on D who can play.  I don’t think we’d go truly all import on D because it would hamstring the team in game if there are injuries.

I was wondering about that...  I mean I would still list Jake Thomas as a starter but field 8 CDNs...