Needs for next year

blue85gold

• In today's Freep, Doug Brown rated Matt Nichols and the bottom line is that Nichols rates somewhere between the 5th and 7th best in the league and, along with an upgrade at receiver, one of the two areas needing the most improvement for the Bombers to take the next step. I agree with this but we also need a kick returner that causes butt puckers in the opposing cover team.

28 minutes ago, Tracker said:
  • In today's Freep, Doug Brown rated Matt Nichols and the bottom line is that Nichols rates somewhere between the 5th and 7th best in the league and, along with an upgrade at receiver, one of the two areas needing the most improvement for the Bombers to take the next step. I agree with this but we also need a kick returner that causes butt puckers in the opposing cover team.

I can understand if we don't see any QB changes, other than perhaps more playing time for Streveler.

However, if there are no substantive changes at receiver, it will speak volumes about this team's intentions. 

2 hours ago, Mark H. said:

I can understand if we don't see any QB changes, other than perhaps more playing time for Streveler.

However, if there are no substantive changes at receiver, it will speak volumes about this team's intentions. 

I assume you mean that the Bomber brain trust has taken the "this is good enough" attitude?

Look how quickly Bo was able to make a connection with a whole new set of receivers, and look how long it takes Matt to connect with guys that have been on the field for many games.

How many games did it take for Matt to start throwing to Wolitarski?

Not sure it's all on the American receivers they have.

As for the good ole playcalling criticism, that's pretty simplistic.

pretty sure they have two or three possible plays on a snap and the QB has to decide which one to run.

Edited by Mark F

20 hours ago, NorthernSkunk said:

I thought Nichols was higher up in completions over twenty or thirty yards this season compared to the other QB's.........?

Winnipeg had 25 completions of 30+ yards, Calgary has 44

In the 20+ category we have 34, while the leading team has 56

I believe the stat you're referring to includes all offensive plays.  

On 2018-11-27 at 1:09 PM, 17to85 said:

Would be the exact kind of thing to put this offense over the top. 

Okay, I'll bite. First, how many Derel Walker-type receivers has this regime signed in the last 6 years, because you're talking like we do it all the time. Second, even if we did sign a Derel Walker-type, what good would it do? He would never play (see Simonise, Petermann, Washington, Thompkins, etc.).

On 2018-11-27 at 3:35 PM, Tracker said:

Good analysis by Doug. We should start with moving Nichols to one of the desperate teams in the league and using the extra cap space to sign a bonafide number one receiver. 

Just now, Blueandgold said:

Good analysis by Doug. We should start with moving Nichols to one of the desperate teams in the league and using the extra cap space to sign a bonafide number one receiver. 

Yes, I agree.  What could possibly go wrong ?  Great idea to move a quarterback along before you are sure that you have his replacement.  That strategy has worked out so well for us in the past.

2 hours ago, Blueandgold said:

I should think that we need to have Streveler prove himself to be a starter first. However, to be the devil's advocate, Collaros (yuck) had stats which were not all that much worse than Nichols. I was shocked by that, but if Collaros can still make coherent sentences, does that mean the Bombers could conceivably trade Nichols and sign Collaros on the cheap, leaving cap space for a primo reveiver?

20 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Jesus Christ, Nichols was still 9-5 for us in the regular season was he not? Make it 10-6 if you count the playoffs too. And we're just ready to sell him down the river Cause Streveler is the new sexiness?

Jesus Christ.... any halfway competent QB would have done that with our team. All we ask of Nichols is to not give the ball away and to throw for 150+ freaking yards. IT'S NOT NICHOLS. IT'S THE REST OF THE TEAM! Sorry for yelling, but this is getting ridiculous.

36 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Jesus Christ.... any halfway competent QB would have done that with our team. All we ask of Nichols is to not give the ball away and to throw for 150+ freaking yards. IT'S NOT NICHOLS. IT'S THE REST OF THE TEAM! Sorry for yelling, but this is getting ridiculous.

Streveler was 1-3 as our starting qb as a counter point. 

GIven how long it took to find a halfway decent qb (nichols) why are you people so god damned dumb as to think it's just easy to find a new qb? Mike Kelly thought that way, look how that worked out. Until Nichols got here we were still trying to replace Kevin Glenn. 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

GIven how long it took to find a halfway decent qb (nichols) why are you people so god damned dumb as to think it's just easy to find a new qb? Mike Kelly thought that way, look how that worked out. Until Nichols got here we were still trying to replace Kevin Glenn. 

In fairness to Streveler the defense that played when he started compared to the defense that played when Nichols played was night and day different.   I keep going back to that Ottawa game where Nichols stumbled around and when Streveler went in instantly the receivers were getting balls and the o was moving.  

On ‎2018‎-‎11‎-‎27 at 3:38 PM, Mark F said:

Look how quickly Bo was able to make a connection with a whole new set of receivers, and look how long it takes Matt to connect with guys that have been on the field for many games.

How many games did it take for Matt to start throwing to Wolitarski?

Not sure it's all on the American receivers they have.

As for the good ole playcalling criticism, that's pretty simplistic.

pretty sure they have two or three possible plays on a snap and the QB has to decide which one to run.

I think Nichols was playing with a serious knee in jury which was at its worst in September. That would have affected his performance as a qb. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

12 hours ago, 17to85 said:

This is a good example of why 'wins' is a team stat. In the first game of the year, it was defensive mistakes that lost us the game. They put almost 500 yards of offense up against us.

In the last game of the season, we didn't start Adams, Dressler, or Chungh. Harris lasted 3 plays before he was pulled. Lankford was our kicker. To blame the QB for that loss is ridiculous. A conspiracy theorist would say that they wanted Streveler to lose so their'd be no QB controversy. I say we just rested our best players for the playoffs.

I'll give you that Nichols is a halfway decent QB. I'd have no problem keeping him if he wasn't due $450K next year. That's too much money for halfway decent IMO.

This isn't the Kevin Glenn situation. The coaches and fans have a pretty good idea of what they have in Streveler. His biggest knock is his lack of experience and the only way to get around that is to give him playing time. Short of injury, that isn't going to happen with Nichols around.

13 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

This is a good example of why 'wins' is a team stat. In the first game of the year, it was defensive mistakes that lost us the game. They put almost 500 yards of offense up against us.

In the last game of the season, we didn't start Adams, Dressler, or Chungh. Harris lasted 3 plays before he was pulled. Lankford was our kicker. To blame the QB for that loss is ridiculous. A conspiracy theorist would say that they wanted Streveler to lose so their'd be no QB controversy. I say we just rested our best players for the playoffs.

I'll give you that Nichols is a halfway decent QB. I'd have no problem keeping him if he wasn't due $450K next year. That's too much money for halfway decent IMO.

This isn't the Kevin Glenn situation. The coaches and fans have a pretty good idea of what they have in Streveler. His biggest knock is his lack of experience and the only way to get around that is to give him playing time. Short of injury, that isn't going to happen with Nichols around.

Streveler missed a wide open Harris on a designed and practiced play when it mattered most. 

The biggest knock on Srteveler is that he can't hit receivers. I'm sure he'll develop but he's still a long ways away from being a starter. 

24 minutes ago, JCon said:

Streveler missed a wide open Harris on a designed and practiced play when it mattered most. 

The biggest knock on Srteveler is that he can't hit receivers. I'm sure he'll develop but he's still a long ways away from being a starter. 

Nichols missed a wide open Adams on a designed and practiced play in the same game, when it mattered most. He's got 6 years more experience, was warmed up, wasn't throwing his first pass of the day or his first pass in a playoff game. Gotta hold the vet to a higher standard than the rookie.

throwing for 4136 yards his senior year at a 65.7% completion rate with 32 TD's to 8 Int's tells me he has no issues hitting receivers...also 11 TD passes in as a raw rookie vs what...5 INT's...tells me he can hit a receiver if open...no?

Also his running..or threat to will open up the pass for him big time if plays constantly....a guy who can throw, and was 13th in the league in rushing in limited time this year is a very tantalizing thought..I'm not saying he should be deemed the starter as of now...but he should be given every opportunity this spring to show he is "not" the starter yet...

What I see out of him is Tracey Ham like stats in the late 80's and early 90's...30+ TD's...4000+ yards and 800 to 1000 yards on the ground...numbers with a solid to upper level defese equates to a lot of wins

Edited by Booch

29 minutes ago, JCon said:

Huh??? I've never heard that before about Streveler...you're really going to hold one pass against him? (Dont worry about him hitting that play at least 2 other times this year....) A green as could be rookie playing in his first semi final?? Lol.

Streveler needs more time. Nichols will give the team the luxury of allowing him to develop at the right pace. I'm still certain that Streveler will be the starting Qb instead of Nichols by week 5 or 6...and he will finish as the starter come November 2019.

He doesnt need years. He needs reps. I remember when they signed him and he made the team, everyone was talking about his size and speed. Except Lapo and Oshea...they spoke about his mind. The kid is very smart. That's what has and what will speed up his progress.