Matt Nichols - YAY!!!!!!!!!

TrueBlue4ever

24 minutes ago, Dr Zaius said:

When the field tipped into our end and we were in our endzone Nichols stepped up and hit wolitarsky for a 25 yard completion in a tight window. THAT was a TSN turning point, imo.

he also hit Petterman with a nice one, and Darvin on a nice fake out route.... but connecting on 3 of these plays a game to me isn't enough to say he's 100% our guy moving forward, and the job is his no questions asked.  I have no doubt that this is the way it's going to be the rest of the season.  But if the mediocre play continues, and it's not an open competition for the starting job next season, I question the coaching's ability to assess productive QB play.

If Matt helps win us a Grey Cup, sure... all will be forgotten and there's no way he loses his starting spot next year.  But if the team does well down here down the stretch and it's in spite of strong QB play... what's the saying 'if you're not continually looking to improve, you're going to get left behind'  ??

2 hours ago, trueBlue83 said:

he also hit Petterman with a nice one, and Darvin on a nice fake out route.... but connecting on 3 of these plays a game to me isn't enough to say he's 100% our guy moving forward, and the job is his no questions asked.  I have no doubt that this is the way it's going to be the rest of the season.  But if the mediocre play continues, and it's not an open competition for the starting job next season, I question the coaching's ability to assess productive QB play.

If Matt helps win us a Grey Cup, sure... all will be forgotten and there's no way he loses his starting spot next year.  But if the team does well down here down the stretch and it's in spite of strong QB play... what's the saying 'if you're not continually looking to improve, you're going to get left behind'  ??

Damn...now you've put pressure on O'Shea.

6 hours ago, JCon said:

Good question. I say it was a great game for Nichols because it was safe. He didn't put anything into jeopardy. 

So, let's say the Esks start the second half, drive the ball and score a TD. Could Nichols turn it up a bit? 

I'm not certain but I think Lapo would have tried to press more and look for opportunities to push the ball downfield.  

Nichols is NOT good at pressing and trying to push the ball downfield. He doesn't have the arm or the receivers for it to be a sustainable strategy.

4 hours ago, Tracker said:

During the game, there were a couple of instances where Nichols appeared to be close to getting hit and he appeared to freeze- indecisive about what to do. It looked like he was terrified about getting hit. Sure hope he works his way out of this real soon.

Like Willy did. Er ...

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

I don't know if it's being indecisive. I don't see a lot of hot routes where Nichols can get rid of the ball quickly when he needs to. I think it's the offense LaPo runs. You'd think he'd have routes Nichols could use to get rid of the ball when he has to but I just don't see it. 

Yes, Lapo has a QB that can't throw an accurate deep ball, has happy feet, and can't run. What do you do with him? Seems to me it should be lots of misdirection, quick hitters over the middle and slant patterns. Mix that in with some AH, Demski sweeps, and Dressler trickiness and you might have something interesting. 

25 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I don't know if it's being indecisive. I don't see a lot of hot routes where Nichols can get rid of the ball quickly when he needs to. I think it's the offense LaPo runs. You'd think he'd have routes Nichols could use to get rid of the ball when he has to but I just don't see it. 

Can't blame Lapo on this one...  Harris receiving yards are WAY down this year - Lapo brought back the screen pass that the bombers somehow forgot about for ten years...

You look at Nichols' INTs - there are outs waiting for him 

I'm still hesitantly hopeful - Nichols 'managed' this game.... but for the offence to produce 10 points all game with the insane field position we had.  That's scary.

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

If we're working the run game - which we weren't until the 4th quarter...  20 passes is fine.

If your QB is double clutching and scrambling for 3-4 yards, its not.

Still, at least its progress... but Nichols scares the **** out of me

Same here. Nichols looks to be fragile- emotionally if not physically. There are those who are never the same after a career-threatening injury and Nichols may be one of those.

Just now, Tracker said:

Same here. Nichols looks to be fragile- emotionally if not physically. There are those who are never the same after a career-threatening injury and Nichols may be one of those.

Yet at other times he makes some really nice throws, so it's not like he has completely lost the ability to be a good qb. I still think Lapo has a lot to do with his play. 20 passing attempts in a CFL game isn't normal. 

4 minutes ago, Booch said:

Isnt that part and parcel of a good offence? The line giving the QB time to do his thing and allow the team to rush for 150..160 yards??

Nichols is only good if he dodges a 3 man botched block blitz  with a perfect spiral into triple coverage threading the needle for a 40 yard touchdown every drive.

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

#DifferenceMaker 

Nichols is but a win away from changing his moniker from " game manager"....to "game changer".  I think Nichols long passes that he connected on last night were game changers,  partly because many didn't think he could do it.  And he did it more than once in the same game.  

Not sure what's going to happen against Edmonton next week, are we playing to win ?  Are we sitting anyone for the game ?  Hopefully Nichols gets the win no matter how it plays out.....AND THEN he dominates our first playoff game,  making plays that change the game to what he wants.  Ultimately helping the Bombers to a cup win and matt from then on  entering the class of QB's known as game changers. 

16 minutes ago, Tracker said:

No matter who the credit goes to, the second half was the best (IMO) half Nichols has played. Ever. He showed that he could ad lib and throw the long bomb. I still think he could have used Wolitarsky more, but a win is a win.

You could say that was the best second half that the whole team has played this year.  Nichols did not win the game all by himself.