Stampeders @ Tiger Cats

Zontar

50 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The Stamps are down three receivers & they can still throw the ball deep to a depth receiver better than we can with our starters.

That is the truly sad part and tells us more than we care to know about the Bomber organization. The Stamps always have 1,2 or 3 in the wings waiting for their chance - all quality people at just about every position. We are lucky to find a fill in for Buzz and Boomer!

1 minute ago, BBRT said:

That is the truly sad part and tells us more than we care to know about the Bomber organization. The Stamps always have 1,2 or 3 in the wings waiting for their chance - all quality people at just about every position. We are lucky to find a fill in for Buzz and Boomer!

And somehow they are all happy to stay on the practice roster. 

11 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Can we hire someone from the stamps to find us some players.....Where the hell do they get these guys....Makes our recruiting look pathetic...Latest star Beggleton….they just keep coming for the stumps and we can't find a receiver to save our lives

Who is our receivers coach?  Is it the same guy who couldn't figure out how to use Adarius Bowman in 2010, cut him and then got to watch him be one of the top receivers in the CFL for the next 5 years, most of that working for TSN?

The only guy we've kept for more than one season in that PR/fringe player role is Lankford.  

I'm not sure Calgary is any better at bringing guys up or in who they choose to bring to camp beyond the obvious ones like Daniels, but they sure as hell are better at developing receivers and giving guys time to develop.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

3 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

What I'm saying is grabbing the hair shouldn't be an automatic penalty like grabbing the facemask is, but the pull should be a penalty for rough play, especially when it's that blatant in the open field on a guy running full speed.

Sorry, can't agree. Cut the hair then.

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

That certainly is a major part of the problem as we tend to spread the field horizontally by throwing all over the field. LaPo likes a ball control type offense instead of a quick strike offense. (Don't know why we can't do both). It is a hinderance if we get behind or is a slump like we are now. However, our receivers just aren't good enough.

The odds of a pick six are much greater with a horizontal offense too.

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Chad "Retread" Owens. Some guys just get chance after chance after chance while their skills diminish every year.

He knows the secret handshake, just like MOS and the boys.

20 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

So we need a scout from Calgary and a receiving coach from there too?

Why would they ever leave? They won't. I mean, if it was you, would you want to work for a winner like John Hufnagel or a snake oil salesman like Wade Miller?

19 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I have nothing against Miller and have seen nothing during his time with the club to think he's a snake oil salesman.

He sold the promise of a Grey Cup and a championship organisation to the fans of this football club. In the bottle was a bad tasting elixir of rookies and incompetents who are incapable of delivering even a single playoff game victory let alone a championship. That's the definition of a snake oil salesman right there.

15 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I'm not sure Calgary is any better at bringing guys up or in who they choose to bring to camp beyond the obvious ones like Daniels, but they sure as hell are better at developing receivers and giving guys time to develop.

We do have the same amount of development time....BUT first you have to start with chicken to make a chicken salad....watery eggs won't do

18 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Your argument is based on hair being a body part - so is the head. 

Rules say hair is an extension of the uniform. I thought it was legal because hair is a part of the body. I did know it was legal to pull hair. Okay, so I went to the same law school Saul did. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

3 hours ago, Stickem said:

We do have the same amount of development time....BUT first you have to start with chicken to make a chicken salad....watery eggs won't do

I don't think we do.  We tend to release all of our less experienced import receivers very quickly.  Begelton played 9 games for the Stamps last year as a rookie, and has played 6 this year.  We've had guys that have played a few games here and there, and then we cut them whether they show some flashes or are terrible, cut.  Lankford is the only guy we've really held onto, even though he's showed nothing but the ability to run in straight line pretty fast.

Import or non-import guys need time and opportunity to develop.  We have guys like Petermann and Simonise who are showing well when they get a shot.  You gotta find a way to get those guys 10 snaps a game on offense even if they aren't starting so they can develop and get comfortable.  Lapo is terrible at this, has always been.  Look at Calgary, a guy like Sindani has got snaps and a pass or two every time he's dressed, now when injuries happen he can play, he's comfortable.  Brescacin same thing.

3 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I don't think we do.  We tend to release all of our less experienced import receivers very quickly.  Begelton played 9 games for the Stamps last year as a rookie, and has played 6 this year.  We've had guys that have played a few games here and there, and then we cut them whether they show some flashes or are terrible, cut.  Lankford is the only guy we've really held onto, even though he's showed nothing but the ability to run in straight line pretty fast.

Import or non-import guys need time and opportunity to develop.  We have guys like Petermann and Simonise who are showing well when they get a shot.  You gotta find a way to get those guys 10 snaps a game on offense even if they aren't starting so they can develop and get comfortable.  Lapo is terrible at this, has always been.  Look at Calgary, a guy like Sindani has got snaps and a pass or two every time he's dressed, now when injuries happen he can play, he's comfortable.  Brescacin same thing.

I certainly have no problem with our current crop of national receivers....it's the American imports I have a problem with...Do you really see any longevity and good return in bringing in guys like Lankford?...The current international receivers look pretty weak and I would say our draft pics Petermann,Simonise and Wolitarsky (of last yr.) outclass any of them...Surely to gawd we can find one decent international receiver...to develop, as you say...So far I don't see any...Remember the days of Robert Gordon and Arland Bruce..( to name a couple and a long time ago)...We used to find them...I know there must be one or two still out there??

I think our 2 biggest problems are evaluating talent & the type of receivers we need to play in our offense.  We can't find the talent to bring in. When we do we can't seem to coach them up.  Or they don't have the ability to stretch a defense.

Other than Adams, we are a team of possession receivers because that is what we do. LaPo runs a possession type passing offense. Control the ball, spread it around & take time off the clock.  We don't even try to go vertical that much. We have a one dimensional passing attack yet Calgary can do both. Spread the ball around or go deep. Why do we have to be an either/or passing attack?

This is the first time I've felt that LaPo needs to go. This offense isn't going to go far with the offensive philosophy LaPo believes in. I think a new OC with different ideas is needed. We really see how ineffective it is when Dressler is out. It shouldn't be that way. 

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

I think our 2 biggest problems are evaluating talent & the type of receivers we need to play in our offense.  We can't find the talent to bring in. When we do we can't seem to coach them up.  Or they don't have the ability to stretch a defense.

Other than Adams, we are a team of possession receivers because that is what we do. LaPo runs a possession type passing offense. Control the ball, spread it around & take time off the clock.  We don't even try to go vertical that much. We have a one dimensional passing attack yet Calgary can do both. Spread the ball around or go deep. Why do we have to be an either/or passing attack?

This is the first time I've felt that LaPo needs to go. This offense isn't going to go far with the offensive philosophy LaPo believes in. I think a new OC with different ideas is needed. We really see how ineffective it is when Dressler is out. It shouldn't be that way. 

I think for Lapo the vertical attack means one thing, speed.  And that's how he views receivers.  That's why he likes a guy like Lankford, that's why he liked McDuffie.  He thinks he needs that straight line speed to run a vertical attack.  What we really need are guys that can beat a DB, get position and win a ball.  Doesn't matter if they run 4.3 or 4.9.  Hell look at Wolitarsky winning the ball on post routes and 15 yard dig routes.  You don't need guys who run a 4.3 40 to send guys downfield.  The best deep threats in this league aren't burners or guys who are 6'5 necessarily.  They are guys who can beat a DB and get the ball.  Walker, Williams, Jorden, Burnham.

Totally agree with that. Lapo thinks the deep ball is a race downfield. But guys like Duke Williams aren't burners, just guys who can win battles and get separation. 

And lapo is the fit coaching receivers. He just be a hell of an interview because he continually displays the same problems with his offense even 16 years after we first gave him a shot.

15 hours ago, J5V said:

He sold the promise of a Grey Cup and a championship organisation to the fans of this football club. In the bottle was a bad tasting elixir of rookies and incompetents who are incapable of delivering even a single playoff game victory let alone a championship. That's the definition of a snake oil salesman right there.

This just in:  Miller promises Grey Cup!  I know that this is a bit of a fool's errand, but who better to ask.  Is there a quote that you could point me to where he does this?  I'm quite sure that Miller is not sitting iin his office say, "Thank God I don't have to do all that Championship parade planning, ring sizing and Grey Cup merchandising stuff."