Stampeders @ Tiger Cats

Zontar

58 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Totally agree with that. Lapo thinks the deep ball is a race downfield. But guys like Duke Williams aren't burners, just guys who can win battles and get separation. 

And lapo is the fit coaching receivers. He just be a hell of an interview because he continually displays the same problems with his offense even 16 years after we first gave him a shot.

I used to disagree with you about LaPo but not anymore. We need to overhaul our OC & DC. The HC will be a part of that as well if things don't improve.  I look at other teams & I keep asking myself why can't we do what they do? The answer always comes back to LaPo.

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I think our 2 biggest problems are evaluating talent & the type of receivers we need to play in our offense.  We can't find the talent to bring in. When we do we can't seem to coach them up.  Or they don't have the ability to stretch a defense.

Other than Adams, we are a team of possession receivers because that is what we do. LaPo runs a possession type passing offense. Control the ball, spread it around & take time off the clock.  We don't even try to go vertical that much. We have a one dimensional passing attack yet Calgary can do both. Spread the ball around or go deep. Why do we have to be an either/or passing attack?

This is the first time I've felt that LaPo needs to go. This offense isn't going to go far with the offensive philosophy LaPo believes in. I think a new OC with different ideas is needed. We really see how ineffective it is when Dressler is out. It shouldn't be that way. 

We need a QB that can do more. 

2 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

I know that this is a bit of a fool's errand, but who better to ask

Tah tah. Not gonna do you favors if you insult me. Ask me nicely and I'll consider it. Then again ..... no. You can look it up yourself, or you can believe that he made no promises. I. DON'T. CARE.

4 minutes ago, pigseye said:

There's only about 100,000 or so players in D1 & D2 down south, the question should be why can't you find any. Joe Mack and his scout buddy didn't have too much trouble finding guys, neither did Taman or Kelly, look no further than the man in charge. 

Which receivers did Mack find?  Clarence Denmark and Chris Matthews?  In 4 seasons.  Kelly didn't find any receivers.  Traded for Bowman.  Otis Amey had one big game.

7 minutes ago, pigseye said:

There's only about 100,000 or so players in D1 & D2 down south, the question should be why can't you find any. Joe Mack and his scout buddy didn't have too much trouble finding guys, neither did Taman or Kelly, look no further than the man in charge. 

The myth of how good our scouting used to be - has reached epic proportions. 

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Which receivers did Mack find?  Clarence Denmark and Chris Matthews?  In 4 seasons.  Kelly didn't find any receivers.  Traded for Bowman.  Otis Amey had one big game.

You have to compare the amount of time they had too, note that I didn't say just receivers. 

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The answer always comes back to LaPo.

More and more we see this. He’s brilliant at the start of games, then he defaults to the same old, same old. He definitely likes his possession game, but what is wrong with mixing it up? Short, deep, middle. We’ve shown we can do it, but we go away from it. 

Harris is a tremendous asset for this team, but he can also be a tremendous decoy asset..as in play action, misdirection, etc. He can be used as much but in a different capacity, especially when you have guys like Demski who can chip in.

Receivers? I really can’t ascertain whether the receivers we have are capable when they are run in a LaPo offence. 

QB? Nichols is limited, but open the playbook more and we’d get a better idea of his range. He can be better if given a better game plan. 

Yes, I agree, the answer always comes back to LaPo.

2 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

More and more we see this. He’s brilliant at the start of games, then he defaults to the same old, same old. He definitely likes his possession game, but what is wrong with mixing it up? Short, deep, middle. We’ve shown we can do it, but we go away from it. 

Harris is a tremendous asset for this team, but he can also be a tremendous decoy asset..as in play action, misdirection, etc. He can be used as much but in a different capacity, especially when you have guys like Demski who can chip in.

Receivers? I really can’t ascertain whether the receivers we have are capable when they are run in a LaPo offence. 

QB? Nichols is limited, but open the playbook more and we’d get a better idea of his range. He can be better if given a better game plan. 

As you say, we go away from what works & the offense goes into a shell. We have a run game going & then inexplicably stop using it. Misdirection works & then we go away from it. We become conservative in situations where we need to be aggressive & cute with stupid trick plays that don't work when we need to be physical.  We throw short on second down & rely on the athletic ability of our receivers to get a first down. We refuse to stretch the field vertically.  Yes, it does come down to LaPo. 

29 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

As you say, we go away from what works & the offense goes into a shell. We have a run game going & then inexplicably stop using it. Misdirection works & then we go away from it. We become conservative in situations where we need to be aggressive & cute with stupid trick plays that don't work when we need to be physical.  We throw short on second down & rely on the athletic ability of our receivers to get a first down. We refuse to stretch the field vertically.  Yes, it does come down to LaPo. 

We've seen this before, Lapo's offences are a quaterback meat grinder, he won't adjust when another team starts to bring pressure. 

8 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

This just in:  Miller promises Grey Cup!  I know that this is a bit of a fool's errand, but who better to ask.  Is there a quote that you could point me to where he does this?  I'm quite sure that Miller is not sitting in his office say, "Thank God I don't have to do all that Championship parade planning, ring sizing and Grey Cup merchandising stuff."

Yes, but did he say what year? Was it still in four digits?

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

Yes, but did he say what year? Was it still in four digits?

He has stated that the goal is to "win the Grey Cup every year". He also said specifically to the fans during his "Acting President/CEO" speech that he was going to do the "heavy lifting" to take this team in a new direction. He followed that up by saying "These aren't just empty words". Five years later his words are looking pretty empty to me. The "new direction" looks a lot like the old direction and the only "heavy lifting" he's been doing is at the dinner table.

The indictment against lapo is how many games did we outscore the opposition in the 2nd half? 

He cant adjust his game plan and even worse the opposition defensive adjustments can in effect neuter our offense. 

The truly great OC’s are good game managers and can adjust on the fly. Lapo has never been able to do it. 

11 minutes ago, J5V said:

He has stated that the goal is to "win the Grey Cup every year". He also said specifically to the fans during his "Acting President/CEO" speech that he was going to do the "heavy lifting" to take this team in a new direction. He followed that up by saying "These aren't just empty words". Five years later his words are looking pretty empty to me. The "new direction" looks a lot like the old direction and the only "heavy lifting" he's been doing is at the dinner table.

To win a championship is a goal of every team President, GM, HC & players. Not everyone does.  Coaches are hired to eventually be fired if they don't perform. You can't say Miller lied. I'm sure he's worked very hard but so far it hasn't worked out. I don't hold that against him.  I really don't care what Miller said as they all say that.

9 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

To win a championship is a goal of every team President, GM, HC & players. Not everyone does.  Coaches are hired to eventually be fired if they don't perform. You can't say Miller lied. I'm sure he's worked very hard but so far it hasn't worked out. I don't hold that against him.  I really don't care what Miller said as they all say that.

Yep. Must have been tough beating the bushes to find his GM down the hall after he fired Mack.

17 hours ago, Mark H. said:

The myth of how good our scouting used to be - has reached epic proportions. 

It hasn't been very good for a really long time. You have to go all the way back to the Cal Murphy era to see when it was consistently good. Oddly enough, that's when Grey Cups were last won. Coincidence? I don't think so!

15 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Really good post.

Thanks! I agree that it is hard to evaluate receivers in the current environment. I have been wondering about that for a while now.

2 hours ago, Mike said:

I think the Bombers need to put a little less emphasis on the nice guy stuff. You know who was an absolute ******* in college? Duke Williams.

With the new AAF, we’re going to need to take some more chances on problem children I think.

I have mixed feelings on this. Some players like Mike Sellers, grew out of their mistakes but Chris Jones has been bringing in problems children for some time and still has a crappy team, so there is no magic in this.