Matt Nichols -BOO!!!!!!!

28 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Lol. So you picked him to be a bigger troll? What im reading here is you put way 2 much time and thought in to a message board pic. Nobody GAFs about your pic.. Ppl wont disagree with you cuz username and pic.. They will disagree with you because you come across as a know it all condescending *******. 

Holy crap.

blackkettle.jpg

3 hours ago, Ripper said:

People sometimes forget how good someone was at their previous job when they don't do well after being promoted.  That was definitely Mike Kelly's offense that lead the Bombers to a 13-5 record in 1994.  They ran into a nearly unbeatable Baltimore team in East final and lost but had a good year.  Was it not 1994 that Westwood started what it now known as banjo bowl with the some comments about the riders?

HISTORY OF THE BANJO BOWL

https://www.bluebombers.com/2018/09/05/214083/

Now you can go educate your local yokels.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

3 hours ago, Ripper said:

People sometimes forget how good someone was at their previous job when they don't do well after being promoted.  That was definitely Mike Kelly's offense that lead the Bombers to a 13-5 record in 1994.  They ran into a nearly unbeatable Baltimore team in East final and lost but had a good year.  Was it not 1994 that Westwood started what it now known as banjo bowl with the some comments about the riders?

Westwood, yes but you're off by about a decade - he referred to you guys as (I'm quoting here) "a bunch of banjo-pickin' in-breds" back in 2003. First Banjo Bowl was then played in 2004 the next year.

2 hours ago, trueBlue83 said:

that's a very easy question.... he gets cut.  Unless they do want to pull one out of Mike Kelly's old bag of tricks and ask to re-negotiate the contract (of course, he did that mid-season).   Nichols would have to play lights out the rest of the season for the brass to want to keep him next season at that value. Of course, nothing seems to be surprising me these days.  If you only listened to O'Shea's assessment of his play and didn't actually watch the games, you'd be wondering when his contract extension is coming a la Blake Wheeler!  Lock him up till he's 37!  He's THAT good!!

Rididiculous, even if his performance suffered through the rest of the season and they decided to go with Strev. next season, Nichols would still retain considerable trade value even in a backup role.

4 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

Westwood, yes but you're off by about a decade - he referred to you guys as (I'm quoting here) "a bunch of banjo-pickin' in-breds" back in 2003. First Banjo Bowl was then played in 2004 the next year.

I was off base there.  I just remember Westwood playing around that time.  It was many years later.  

4 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Rididiculous, even if his performance suffered through the rest of the season and they decided to go with Strev. next season, Nichols would still retain considerable trade value even in a backup role.

Nothing Ridiculous about it.  Once management clues in to his actual skill set, he will be looking at a paycut or a road map.  There isn't a team in the league that would give him 450k.   Trade value???  ya every team wants a 450k backup

Edited by Ripper

15 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Nothing Ridiculous about it.  Once management clues in to his actual skill set, he will be looking at a paycut or a road map.  There isn't a team in the league that would give him 450k.   Trade value???  ya every team wants a 450k backup

How much the Riders paying Collaros and what was that based on, his ancient history?  At least Nichols put up good numbers over the last two years and generated winning seasons. 

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

1 hour ago, Ripper said:

I was off base there.  I just remember Westwood playing around that time.  It was many years later.  

Westwood started here in 91-92ish..I remember that us as players used to work out at a place called Arizona Fitness..and totally recal a weird skinny guy with long hair come one day with I think Waalby or Dave Black...and he had "Kicker" engraved into his weight lifting belt...we were like "who the eff is this?" Lol

Edited by Booch

11 minutes ago, Booch said:

Westwood started here in 91-92ish..I remember that as us a players used to work out at a place called Arizona Fitness..and totally recal a weird skinny guy with long hair come one day with I think Waalby or Dave Black...and he had "Kicker" engraved into his weight lifting belt...we were like "who the eff is this?" Lol

You played Defense?  As a opposing fan, of course I hated him.  He was a great kicker

Edited by Ripper

43 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

How much the Riders paying Collaros and what was that based on, his ancient history?  At least Nichols put up good numbers over the last two years and generated winning seasons. 

We traded for him. He was due 500k and even though we weren't in a position of strength renegotiated a lower deal with him.  What is your excuse????   Drew Willy also got huge money from your current management, how did that turn out?

18 minutes ago, Ripper said:

You played Defense?  As a opposing fan, of course I hated him.  He was a great kicker

Yeah, we hate Westwood too.

14 minutes ago, Ripper said:

We traded for him. He was due 500k and even though we weren't in a position of strength renegotiated a lower deal with him.  What is your excuse????   Drew Willy also got huge money from your current management, how did that turn out?

Our management team made the best decision available based on the information we had at the time. Too bad we had such a porous offensive line - I always thought Willy looked broken after his knee injury against Hamilton... before then he was by no means stellar, but at least a serviceable QB with promise. After that injury though things really started going downhill for him. Besides, we couldn't have been that crazy - two other teams (Argo's and the Al's) both took a chance on him, likely also based on his 5 or 6 good games with us.

22 minutes ago, Ripper said:

I remember a 5 and 1 start. 

Him getting banged up s few times... 

Came back a shell of his former self. 

Replaced him with Nichols

And bent barker over in a trade for drew willy.

Worked out pretty good.

11 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

And bent barker over in a trade for drew willy.

Worked out pretty good.

Kevin Glenn, backup gone.  Ekakatie, cut.  Petermann hasn't exactly lit the world on fire.  DJ Heath gone.  No one got bent over and not sure how you could say it worked out pretty well other than you dumped his ridiculous salary on someone else

56 minutes ago, Ripper said:

You got that I played defense from that? Well done very perceptive..but yes played mlb..some DE and long snapped.

Used to be a QB at one time..funny story that one time we were out at a local bar..Scandals..and I had an old team jacket on that said QB on my sleave and Quincy William's who played dline here at the time said to me.." man if you were the QB of that team I'd sure would have hated to play your team!"...lol..mind you at that time I was probably pushing about 285 pounds 

5 minutes ago, Booch said:

You got that I played defense from that? Well done very perceptive..but yes played mlb..some DE and long snapped.

Used to be a QB at one time..funny story that one time we were out at a local bar..Scandals..and I had an old team jacket on that said QB on my sleave and Quincy William's who played dline here at the time said to me.." man if you were the QB of that team I'd sure would have hated to play your team!"...lol..mind you at that time I was probably pushing about 285 pounds 

You are a hard ass.  That's a guy that plays d. I always figured that, was looking for confirmation. 

2 hours ago, Booch said:

Booch, did you know Troy Westwood's dad professionally?

Just now, Booch said:

Former hard ass..hahah..but yup love me my defense

I'm a former hard ass too.  I still a little football back and forth though. The German kicks in and I am usually game for a 3 or 4 day argument, even when I may be wrong.  After all, a German is never wrong, lol.