Rate Ritchie Hall's Defense

BigBlue

Bomber's Defemse  

66 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate Hall's defense, all things considered?

• Championship caliber
    • Above league average
    • Good with serious flaws
    • League average
    • Not awful but needing certain key changes
    • Below league average
    • Poor
    • None of the above

20 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

The way the Bombers play D you force the QB to perfect on those short passes which Masoli was if. If not you have to deal with their pass rush on second and long.

You have to admit - it was a little too easy for Masoli. We’ll see what happens on Friyay...

5 hours ago, USABomberfan said:

A bit early for this poll I think.  I would have waited until after this next game against Ham to see if they were finally doing their job and not getting burned by Mr. Dumpoff Masoli, a QB who Hall has seemed to have a faulty plan for stopping.

Even there though, he should get no pass until his defense shows they'll stop choking away playoff games.  Until I see that, he will continue to be a liability here.

The problems with Hall's defence are not new. Either we get nickle and dimed all the way down the field or die by the long bomb. Too many players have come and gone with the same results on the field for Hall to escape responsibility. I would think that the Labour Day Classic and Banjo Bowl games will tell us all we need to know and will likely cost someone his job.

Its probably more important to worry about Lapo vs Claybrooks 

I don't see any scary offences in the league this year - Hamilton is getting exposed quickly, Harris seems to have lost confidence, BLM is just okay now - Hall could squeak by with Bighill in the middle this year...

Hall still needs to prove he can stop Reilly's last minute drives.  So far, he has not.

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

The problems with Hall's defence are not new. Either we get nickle and dimed all the way down the field or die by the long bomb. Too many players have come and gone with the same results on the field for Hall to escape responsibility. I would think that the Labour Day Classic and Banjo Bowl games will tell us all we need to know and will likely cost someone his job.

I don't think anyone will be going anywhere until the season is over just because that's how the Miller-Walters regime works.  I see your point though.  Thing is too, idk how much stock you can really put into the LDC since ... Well you could probably play that one 10x in a row and each time you could get a vastly different result.  I would definitely pay close attention though to games against the big dogs coming after that week though to see if that awful defensive play we saw late last year rears it's ugly head around again.

Like I said, we're really ultimately at the point for me where these winning seasons have to start translating into playoff wins.  So far it's been Hall's fault that they haven't, and if we go one and done one more time, he'll be booted out guaranteed.

After 28 years of wandering in the wilderness, the only thing that really matters to me now is if we have a defence that is good enough to do its part in recapturing the holy grail…  and on that score, I would have to see the jury is definitely still out. 

While I am not saying that the defence has not improved, the question is whether it has improved enough. I will only believe it has when it can more consistently contain the better offenses in the league and/or when late in the game, i.e. in a close game, in crunch time… The defence is able to preserve a victory.

On 2018-08-07 at 11:57 AM, Mark H. said:

You have to admit - it was a little too easy for Masoli. We’ll see what happens on Friyay...

This is the true litmus test.  can we show better after getting a chance to play the offense that kicked us around so badly?  we've made great strides in stats and in the eyeball tests against weaker opponents... let's see what happens against Hamilton again before passing judgement..

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

I'd be curious on the amount of snaps each player has played also.   This could be a stat that shows how much time Saskatchewan and BC are on the field because of poor offenses,

Also interesting that Willis is lone Lion, two edge rushers from Sask, nothing interior.  Hamilton two DT's, no edge rushers.  Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg pretty balanced, although most of Edmonton's pressures came in last two games.

15 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Our group on the DL is among the most talent at rushing the passer that ive ever seen. To think corney has been hurt alot, and westerman left in the offseason and it hasnt had any affect on pressure. 

Definitely. It's a "pressure by committee" sort of thing and it's been working damn well.

14 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Also interesting that Willis is lone Lion, two edge rushers from Sask, nothing interior.  Hamilton two DT's, no edge rushers.  Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg pretty balanced, although most of Edmonton's pressures came in last two games.

Hey Juran....thought you said Botang isn't very good?

1 hour ago, blitzmore said:

Hey Juran....thought you said Botang isn't very good?

He's a typical one-move pass rusher.  I would not want him on the field as much as Edmonton has to have him out there to satisfy the ratio.  He's a liability vs the run and invisible on the majority of his snaps.  3 of 5 sacks tagging  a QB who's basically on the turf doesn't really make a guy an all-star, except on TSN.  He's getting the numbers from the work of Ceresna and Sewell.

4 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

He's a typical one-move pass rusher.  I would not want him on the field as much as Edmonton has to have him out there to satisfy the ratio.  He's a liability vs the run and invisible on the majority of his snaps.  3 of 5 sacks tagging  a QB who's basically on the turf doesn't really make a guy an all-star, except on TSN.  He's getting the numbers from the work of Ceresna and Sewell.

Interesting...so what do you think of Corney?