When does the bowman experiment end? (Bowman traded to Montreal)

wbbfan

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

He's never been good at catching the ball on fades and corners.  His best routes are ones into the field.

hes never been good at catching the ball in general to be fair. You can run him on a crosser over the middle and have some one like woli or adams fade. 

1 hour ago, WBBFanWest said:

I was thinking edil to.  Thanks for having the guts to say it.

appreciate the support.

also, Seems either my question is unworthy of being answered, or nobody knows the answer.  

Lol I say.

Edited by Mark F

On ‎2018‎-‎07‎-‎18 at 3:20 PM, wbbfan said:

No you do it to keep their rights... You can revoke them from the list at no cost before that if they are ready. if they dont end up being ready it saves you a bit of cap space. 

As far as i know injured players can go to meetings still...

Well, on a previous quote I asked why can't they go to meetings?  I meant to say, Why can they  go to meetings? I hope this clarifies my position.  Sort of like a double negative, they can go to meetings.  Lots of people can go to meetings.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

I wonder how often Bowman is one of the first reads in the Lapo offence? Like, is Lapo calling plays that feature him at all?

Seems like Lapo's offense is all about featuring Harris and Adams and Streveler and (in the BC game) Demski and leaving everyone else the scraps.

Also (and I haven't run the numbers on this) it seems like we are featuring the run way more than we did last year even with Nichols in there ... that's going to take touches away from our receivers.  Dressler's numbers are down too.

Maybe Bowman has just aged out and can't get open, I dunno, but maybe it's something else.  I remember how Lapo couldn't figure out how to use him last time they were both in Winnipeg...

Edited by johnzo

2 hours ago, johnzo said:

I wonder how often Bowman is one of the first reads in the Lapo offence? Like, is Lapo calling plays that feature him at all?

Seems like Lapo's offense is all about featuring Harris and Adams and Streveler and (in the BC game) Demski and leaving everyone else the scraps.

Also (and I haven't run the numbers on this) it seems like we are featuring the run way more than we did last year even with Nichols in there ... that's going to take touches away from our receivers.  Dressler's numbers are down too.

Maybe Bowman has just aged out and can't get open, I dunno, but maybe it's something else.  I remember how Lapo couldn't figure out how to use him last time they were both in Winnipeg...

I dont think he is one of the early options in many plays at all. I think he is used to run off the defender. I feel like we read short to long. Rather then looking for the deep ball then checking down. Unless a team shows no deep cover or no help on adams or dressler etc. 

15 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Well, on a previous quote I asked why can't they go to meetings?  I meant to say, Why can they  go to meetings? I hope this clarifies my position.  Sort of like a double negative, they can go to meetings.  Lots of people can go to meetings.

The only players not allowed to attend meetings are those on the suspended list....not that there is anything in place to monitor it.

4 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I think the hate passed a while back... now its more like rewriting Denmark's value...  guess he didn't 'lose' a step, maybe its just Lapo's offence...

Could be.

In as much as Lapo is creative and on most nights the Bomber O is good, the two weaknesses in his schemes seem to be that:

1) On most nights he doesn't use all the weapons in the offence and tends to overuse certain guys (Bowman seems to be that guy this year who doesn't see the ball while Demski is the guy being over-targeted)

2) He likes to go laterally on most plays too much and his offences don't take shots down the field enough

Plenty of upside with Lapo, but for me those are the two bug drawbacks, and the reason why sometimes the Bomber offence looks terrible against certain teams who are good at taking away those things he likes to do.

28 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I just don't understand how they don't have a few designed plays on 1st down where he gets a quick out and we then "hope" that Bowman drags the guy or busts loose for a 20 yard gain.   Was he even targeted tonight?

Targeted twice by my count. First one he dropped an easy catch for a first down. Second one we ran play action, Nichols threw to him but TO linebacker made a great play and knocked the ball down at the last second. Bowman was wide open on both, for the record. So he’s definitely able to get open...

Scheme fit it was just an odd signing to begin with. Outside of Adams we really don't stretch the field vertically much. We use a lot of the intermediate game coupled with misdirection and play action to free up players in the flats to gain YAC. What made Bowman so successful in Edmonton over the years (last year's down year noted) is that their passing game is dependent largely on going down field and taking advantage of the fact with Walker and/or Zylstra, you couldn't really double team anyone with safety help because the free receiver would kill you. 

Live and learn I guess but the inability of this regime to find a new, serviceable import receiver is a bit concerning given how long this scouting department has been in place.

I’m harder on the scouting staff’s inability to find receivers as anyone but at some point it also comes down to the fact that O’Shea will never hold guys like Denmark or Bowman accountable midseason. This year a number of guys looked good in camp but they were never going to make the team when the receivers that were going to make the team were already set, for better or for worse. 

4 hours ago, Mr. Perfect said:

Scheme fit it was just an odd signing to begin with. Outside of Adams we really don't stretch the field vertically much. We use a lot of the intermediate game coupled with misdirection and play action to free up players in the flats to gain YAC. What made Bowman so successful in Edmonton over the years (last year's down year noted) is that their passing game is dependent largely on going down field and taking advantage of the fact with Walker and/or Zylstra, you couldn't really double team anyone with safety help because the free receiver would kill you. 

Live and learn I guess but the inability of this regime to find a new, serviceable import receiver is a bit concerning given how long this scouting department has been in place.

I don’t really view Bowman as a vertical guy,  I mean he can, but he developed into much more of a possession receiver.  Everyone wanted him to be a deep threat because of his body type but he didn’t really become a consistent player until he moved into the slot.

For instance I doubt he’d take Adams spot on the boundary if he was injured.  They’d bring on Thompkins or Washington or maybe even use Simonise.