Friday June 1st Edmonton here

BigBlue

My pre-season checklist...

- Smart decisions by Alex Ross; don't force anything

- Streveler sets and throws - no happy feet

- Miles White or some Import REC truly standout

- LaFrance catch and run from the backfield

- Gaitor prove he's better than I think he is...

- Thera-Plamondon accurate long-snapping

- Big game from Simonise or Wolitarsky

- Demski cements spot as returner

- Leggett returns to the field - dare to dream...

- Neufeld doesn't get injured in pre-season ;)

9 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

That's what I was hoping for ..... we can now smash Edmonton, if and only if, any of our backup QB's can play. I expect Ross will lead some drives .... I am expecting next to nothing from Steveler  .... I don't know if Bennett is healthy enough to dress (he will get his shot next Friday I hope) ... I wish Nichols would play all of the first half to get his timing down and his "feel" back.

As far as rookies vs rookies I think most of our guys on tryout are good enough to be starters in this league so outside of QB I expect us to dominate their rookies

Bombers should blow out  Edmonton even if they do give up a couple of long plays.

Just now, BigBlue said:

That's what I was hoping for ..... we can now smash Edmonton, if and only if, any of our backup QB's can play. I expect Ross will lead some drives .... I am expecting next to nothing from Steveler  .... I don't know if Bennett is healthy enough to dress (he will get his shot next Friday I hope) ... I wish Nichols would play all of the first half to get his timing down and his "feel" back.

As far as rookies vs rookies I think most of our guys on tryout are good enough to be starters in this league so outside of QB I expect us to dominate their rookies

Bombers should blow out  Edmonton even if they do give up a couple of long plays.

Kline brought the Esks back in last years game looked pretty good.

Want to know

Do we have a legit backup QB?
Can the Canuck receivers make the jump from potential to production?
How are we going use the hybrid O formations this year (Flanders, Demski, etc)?
Have Fogg and Walker learned how to tackle?
Are these touted import receivers for real?
Will I make it up the ramp?

Edited by do or die

I was hoping Reilly would play a bit. Love watching him. Oh well.

Ill echo some statements here, want to see what Alex Ross can bring as #2, perhaps see the first steps in Streveler’s (hopefully successful) development with our team. Every new QB brings hope, right guys?

im going to reserve judgment on our DBs. I’m sure the preseason isn’t going to make them look great.

But I would like to see something out of our receiving depth. I think we’re going to be using a lot of them over the course of the year.

I'd like to see our starters on offence until the first quarter is over or they drive the field for a touchdown... whichever comes first.  Except for Andrew Harris... I see no reason to give him more than one or two carries, if he plays at all.  Same with Demski.. maybe a series or two.  We have to be careful with those key Canadian skill players.

However I want to see what we've got in these Canadian rookie receivers and Wolitarsky.  Simonise, Petermann, Henry, Thera-Plamondon.  What can they do?  I want some combination of those guys on the field all game.

Import receivers - Randle, Thompkins, Whyte, Washington.  Who is going to take the limited spots behind the Big 3?  Can one of these guys please unseat Lankford?  We NEED a big game from one of these guys at least.  Hopefully our backup QBs can get them the ball.

On defence I'm curious about Kyrie Wilson, Tyneil Cooper, and Marcus Sayles.  They've all played well at camp according to reports so let's see what they can do when the lights come on.  I want to see a defence that isn't leaking 30-40 yard plays all night.  I know it's only pre-season but they've gotta set the tone now.  No more big explosion plays.

And I hope we get to see Bighill clock someone real good.  Then get him off the field.

I agree, I want our starters starting. 

That way, they spend the week building up to the start and they go through their normal game-day process. I think there is value in that, just for rhythm.

I'm good if they're out after the first quarter. 

I wanna see:

Simonese: see if he is used to his skill-set..and if he can make an impact

Demski: his role in Lapolice offence

Augustine: can he be a legit back-up? from camp he shows good hands and nice quickness in open field

Spooner: has he progressed to be a viable back-up

Randle/White/Washington/other I want 2 guiys to really step up and be playmakers

Nevis/Bryant: want one to really step up and take the 2nd dline spot

Wilson/gause: Lets see who can be a defensive hammer

and like to see if Walker/Fogg and Alexander have stepped up their game and fended off the rooks...

Ouellet De Carlo was selected 49th overall in last week’s Draft. He played four seasons with the Bishop’s Gaiters. De Carlo is a two-time Academic All-Canadian and participated in the 2017 U Sports East-West bowl. In 2014, De Carlo received newcomer of the year honors and in 2016 was named linemen of the year for the Gaiters.

I remember thinking Johnny Augustine looked very good, when he worked out for the combine, a few years ago. 

I recall that I thought he looked quick and speedy. And pretty strong.

I was surprised he did not get signed.

Seems to be really hoping to play in the CFL.

So, I'm Interested in seeing what he can do. 

Edited by Mark F

43 minutes ago, Mark F said:

I remember thinking Johnny Augustine looked very good, when he worked out for the combine, a few years ago. 

I recall that I thought he looked quick and speedy. And pretty strong.

I was surprised he did not get signed.

Seems to be really hoping to play in the CFL.

So, I'm Interested in seeing what he can do. 

same..watched him yesterday....showed a good burst and surprisingly good hands..had a few plays too where he showed some shiftiness once in the open field. 

I bet would be a good special teamer as well and has proven at combine and in University to be a good blocker out of the backfield so I'm thnking he is going to see a lot of reps in the game