Friday June 1st Edmonton here

BigBlue

What the actual hell is going on with all our new recruits “retiring”?

That’s Simon, Givens, Reed, Seisay, Nelson, Howard, Patterson and I think one or two more ... 

Beginning to make me wonder ... just a bad year or are the guys pitching these players not painting the right picture?

i kind of get the vibe that the Bombers "retired" SEISAY...the othrs tho no clue...pretty disappointing with the Simon one tho...and found it odd Wolff was cut..tho maybe they gave him a chance that came up down south

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

That’s Simon, Givens, Reed, Seisay, Nelson, Howard, Patterson and I think one or two more ... 

Beginning to make me wonder ... just a bad year or are the guys pitching these players not painting the right picture?

I blame Chris Jones, John Murphy, The Saskatchewan RoughRiders, the entire province of Saskatchewan and those bums from Shelbyville.

3 hours ago, Mike said:

Some time back, our head coach was asking about the poor performance and early release of a "star" prospect. The coach replied that he thought the player only came to camp to get away from his mother for a few days. Maybe the same here.

2 hours ago, Mike said:

the stigma and fear involved with football injuries has never been higher. I think some players / family are more likely to retire early when they are at the fringe of football. Especially if they go to camp and it isnt clicking for them or they get a great opportunity out side of playing back home. 

Is brandin bryant injured? i didnt see him on the roster for the pre season game on the bomber site. i really hope he goes. 

I'm sad not to see LaFrance getting some time tomorrow.   I was hoping to see Harris take the first series and then go to LaFrance for most of the balance to really see what our NI backup can do.

I'm hoping to see some really good things from Demski, Simonise and Wolitarsky on Friday, as I'm convinced that having top caliber NI receivers is key to success.

Also of note, I'm curious to see if they give the local Rifle players a few reps.   I understand that they have stepped up in camp and have earned some respect.   Andrew Ricard was in camp last year as well and got a few reps at safety in last year's pre-season game, so I'm hoping to see good things there as well.

Finally, there are  2 Winnipeg based players on Edmonton:  Curtis Krahn (Former Rifle)  and Alex Taylor were drafted by Edmonton this year, and I always have a bias for the local guys.

4 hours ago, Jaxon said:

Also of note, I'm curious to see if they give the local Rifle players a few reps.   I understand that they have stepped up in camp and have earned some respect.   Andrew Ricard was in camp last year as well and got a few reps at safety in last year's pre-season game, so I'm hoping to see good things there as well.

I don't recall any of the amateur players ever getting time in real games during previous years.  I assume that's to minimize the obvious liability issue as they are not under contract.  Not 100% sure about Brett Carter - I think he only played after he was signed to a contract, not before. 

It would be interesting to see where they stack up vs the other NI's.

11 hours ago, mbrg said:

I don't recall any of the amateur players ever getting time in real games during previous years.  I assume that's to minimize the obvious liability issue as they are not under contract.  Not 100% sure about Brett Carter - I think he only played after he was signed to a contract, not before. 

It would be interesting to see where they stack up vs the other NI's.

I know that last year all three Rifles got a few reps in the pre-season game.   My understanding is that they are insured, so liability isn't an issue.   If by "real games" you mean regular season, then yes, they have to be signed to a contract before they can do that.    There is an agreement between the CJFL and the CFL which allows CJFL players to practice with CFL clubs (all season long) and to play in preseason games without counting against the # of player restrictions.    This is capped at 4 CJFL players per CFL team.

11 hours ago, Booch said:

If Augustine shows really well in this game and I bet he gets a fair bit of reps it could make for a tough time for Lafrance making game day roster 

Totally going to depend on special teams and pass protection.  I think there’s more competition with Renaud, Miles, Rush and Gauthier with Augustine.  Lafrance has been a very good special teamer for years.

well Augustine does excell at pass protection...so he has that going for him..and seeing as Lafrance is hurt at moment, and most likely going to miss a bit more time a good chance at the least Augustine I bet gets on active roster for the first game as the back-up Canuck rb...and if fairs well...why take him out

5 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I think the best Augustine can hope for this year is a P.R. spot, possible savings on the horizon if he can replace LaFrance next season.

I would love to see Augustine catch on with the Bombers. He has all the right tools, but sometimes even that isn't enough. You have to be in the right place at the right time and have a horseshoe up your butt.