Bomber Moves 2018

BigBlue

Should be a few choices out there that would do better than any of our current projected backups who have zero experience in the CFL.  Potential won't mean much in 2018 for these individuals.  You play the long game with them.  An experienced backup with some starts and relief appearances in the CFL will almost surely perform better short term then a rookie with zero experience.  

Early in camp you don’t want to just have 4 qbs. I imagine they signed Mahoney after Durant retired not so much to compete for the back job but to be that 4th qb so the other 3 don’t get too warn down. The nice thing about this guy is I don’t think he takes up a roster spot because he is treated as a draft pick so it gives them some freedom roster wise.

1 hour ago, blueandgoldguy said:

Should be a few choices out there that would do better than any of our current projected backups who have zero experience in the CFL.  Potential won't mean much in 2018 for these individuals.  You play the long game with them.  An experienced backup with some starts and relief appearances in the CFL will almost surely perform better short term then a rookie with zero experience.  

But who is still out there?  Everyone is signed or retired.

6 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Mitchell Gale is perhaps the most experienced unemployed CFL QB currently available.  Brock Jensen, Ryan Lindley, Logan Kilgore....not much.

Jensen is retired.  Gale could possibly be an insurance policy at least.  I think we'd be his sixth team in six years in the CFL.  If it comes down to Lindley or Kilgore, I honestly don't see either option as being any better than a rookie.  Certainly not Kilgore, he is awful.

16 hours ago, wbbfan said:

You know it. Guy with his hype and skill set comes in hungry look out. 

I love to see a NI qb get a shot, but this guy seems about as canadian as ben cahoon. Talent wise he seems solid. A few notches behind the rest though. 

Had a bad feeling about durant when he didnt come to mini camp. What a crumb bum. Hope he returns any money he got. I wonder if nelson comes back now. I think we either end up in an air lift phase looking for quality depth at qb, or end up digging up a guy with half a pulse (or less). Some one like rakeem cato, mitchell gale, logan kilgore etc. I really hope it doesnt end up a guy like fever. Always like cody fajardo but he doesnt have much experience either. 

Not sure any of those "experienced" half-pulse options would be any better than the two rookies they are bringing in. I'd stick with the 2 players they scouted and invest everything in them. I know it never happens in the modern CFL, but what I think would be great is if the Bombers committed to giving those 2 rookies some game reps this year before they are forced to do it when Nichols goes down. Similar to the backup coming in to run sneaks, they should set up a policy where the backup comes in for every 2nd series when the team is up by more than 14 pts or down by more than 17 pts and then run with that all season long. I'd also look at giving the backups some playing time in other situations as well, such as the 1st game of the season, or times when Nichols is unable to move the ball. This worked well in the era of Clements and Hufnagel, but no one does it now except for Chris Jones, although I think it would still work and othe rteams should take his lead on how he runs things.

12 minutes ago, TheSource said:

Not sure any of those "experienced" half-pulse options would be any better than the two rookies they are bringing in. I'd stick with the 2 players they scouted and invest everything in them. I know it never happens in the modern CFL, but what I think would be great is if the Bombers committed to giving those 2 rookies some game reps this year before they are forced to do it when Nichols goes down. Similar to the backup coming in to run sneaks, they should set up a policy where the backup comes in for every 2nd series when the team is up by more than 14 pts or down by more than 17 pts and then run with that all season long. I'd also look at giving the backups some playing time in other situations as well, such as the 1st game of the season, or times when Nichols is unable to move the ball. This worked well in the era of Clements and Hufnagel, but no one does it now except for Chris Jones, although I think it would still work and othe rteams should take his lead on how he runs things.

I don't mind that idea, but 14 points isn't enough. This is the CFL, a 14 point lead can be erased in 2 minutes, and then 2 minutes later you could be down 17. Maybe around the 25 point mark. But getting some playing time would be worth it. Again, don't like the idea of game one, that's always an important game and you want to put your best foot forward. But yeah getting those guys some time would be nice before they are thrown to the wolves.

Also Chris Jones did it cause he had too, Glenn was playing poorly in ever game that Bridge came in. He wasn't balancing a proven starter with a rookie back up, he was balancing an over the hill under performing vet with a big upside/big downside up and comer. 

4 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

We should check in with Dan Lefevour. At least he can run a good short yardage and knows the offense .

Ugh I hate to say it but that might not actually be the worst idea

4 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

We should check in with Dan Lefevour. At least he can run a good short yardage and knows the offense .

Its actually not a bad idea since we will just be back to where we were last year. Dom Davis is not that far better than our new guys.

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

The problem with pursuing a retired player like LeFeveour is that he wasn't planning on playing so there's little chance he is in shape and there's only a week til camp.  And its not like he was a star to begin with.

Some guys stay in shape.   Just saying we should check into it.  He will have plenty of time to get in shape as the scout team guy. I want that rookie from SD to be the backup 

7 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Some guys stay in shape.   Just saying we should check into it.  He will have plenty of time to get in shape as the scout team guy. I want that rookie from SD to be the backup 

Yeah I agree in general, it is worth doing the due diligence.  But damn we are in a tough spot right now.  God forbid Nichols gets injured because even Gale or LeFeveour are going to be in tough to win us games.  This is where the scouting staff really needs to pull through with a home run... I'm hoping Streveler can be that guy.

15 hours ago, TheSource said:

It all depends on your stance of starting a rookie qb. Imo coming off the bench for part of a game is easier then starting. Any mobile qb can come in, run some high percentage pass plays, option / run heavy offense. A lot of football minds are still divided on whether or not a rookie qb can be tossed into the fire. 

The experienced half pulsers (some of the experienced fas dont even have half a pulse) are pretty known commodities. None are at all likely to come in and turn their career around. They are all stop gap type guys. Cato is the guy id take if i had to. Showed some flashes but played on utterly dismal als teams. I dont think any qb in the league would have made the play offs on those teams. After that bennett for knowing the system, coaches and team. if either were willing to come dirt cheap and we wanted the extra arm in camp Itd be a good fit. But no need to rush to get em imo. 

I think the next wave of good back up qbs washes through this year. I can see jonathon jennings in bc getting dealt to be a back up. A change of scenery would do him good. Still young enough to turn it around. I think collaros is pushed down to the back up this year as well. either could be available around LD. 

Ross and streveler have all the talent in the world. Our offense would be a great fit for ross if he had to be forced into action. And streveler is the type of player that when forced in will either have it or not.