2017 Preseason

FrostyWinnipeg

4 hours ago, Atomic said:

Yeah I just see it as being Matthias' job to lose at this point, and unfortunately no one has stepped up to take it.  I like Connor but he's gotta show some scoring touch at the NHL level before we give him a spot.

That, plus putting him on a line with Armia and Lowry does not feel like a good fit to me.  I liked Mattias there last year because the three of them were playing the same game.  Connor can't play that game, and Lowry and to some extent Armia would struggle to play a style that compliments Connor.

A bit of patience from Jets fans and we'll get to see Connor and Roslovic brought up together.  Those two are meant for each other.

42 minutes ago, mbrg said:

That, plus putting him on a line with Armia and Lowry does not feel like a good fit to me.  I liked Mattias there last year because the three of them were playing the same game.  Connor can't play that game, and Lowry and to some extent Armia would struggle to play a style that compliments Connor.

A bit of patience from Jets fans and we'll get to see Connor and Roslovic brought up together.  Those two are meant for each other.

The big thing I remember from that line, last year, is a lack of finish.  Several times I recall Armia making great set ups and no one could put it away.  Not saying Connor is that guy, but he's a proven scorer.  I'm not sure we need another guy on the 3rd line playing 'the same game'.

Edited by BomberBall

5 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

How about this?

LSE

Perrault - Little - Wheels

Matthias - Lowry-Armia

Petan-Copp- Dano

(Tanev/Connor)

Morrissey - Trouba

Poolman-Buff

Kulikov-Myers

(Enstrom/Chiarot)

Helle

(Mason)

I don't know if I'd ever split up Scheif-Wheeler...

Don't think I'd like to sit Connor in the pressbox either - he needs to play even if its with the Moose

I'm worried we're stuck with Hendricks as our 4th centre though - think Copp really deserves it, might even deserve to be our 3rd line C

Still miss the Petan-Copp-Armia line

3 hours ago, Floyd said:

Perrault-Lowry-armia would be a great line

Perreault feels like a much better fit on that line than Connor.  In the absence of Roslovic I'd sooner pair Connor with Little.

4 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

L

Not enuf assists from the 3rd line?

Lowry had 15 and Armia/Matthias might have hit that number if they were healthy. 45g from 3rd line seems all right.

Finding a good fit between players is why lines get switched up in pre-season.  There's no way to know without testing these ideas on the ice.  Maybe Connor and Lowry can develop a unique chemistry that works for them.  Lowry (to me) is a power forward type of center who doesn't have refined skills.  He seems to succeed most in front of the net finishing on medium skill opportunities, plus he has great forechecking abilities to help create those opportunities.  To me it doesn't feel like putting Connor in that situation would allow either player to thrive.  Mattias is a great forechecker as well, and Armia surprised me in that regard.   When we acquired him I incorrectly formed the idea that he was an average sized player.  He's pretty big.  I think the average size of those three is 6'4", 212 pounds.

I can't see Connor playing with Armia and Lowry without recreating the identity of that line, and I don't think Lowry has enough skill to make that happen.  But until tested on the ice, that's just a theory.

12 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Paul like 8 Dmen so were set there.

I disagree, it's actually quite rare that we've kept 8, although it has happened.  And we're not keeping Poolman up just to sit in the pressbox, nor has he done enough to steal a job in the top 6 D.  We will roll with 14 F, 7 D, and 2 G.  At this point I'm fairly confident in declaring that roster:

Ehlers, Scheifele, Laine, Wheeler, Little, Perreault, Lowry, Armia, Matthias, Hendricks, Copp, Dano, Petan, Tanev.

Byfuglien, Enstrom, Myers, Kulikov, Morrissey, Trouba, Chiarot.

Mason, Hellebuyck.

53 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I disagree, it's actually quite rare that we've kept 8, although it has happened.  And we're not keeping Poolman up just to sit in the pressbox, nor has he done enough to steal a job in the top 6 D.  We will roll with 14 F, 7 D, and 2 G.  At this point I'm fairly confident in declaring that roster:

Ehlers, Scheifele, Laine, Wheeler, Little, Perreault, Lowry, Armia, Matthias, Hendricks, Copp, Dano, Petan, Tanev.

Byfuglien, Enstrom, Myers, Kulikov, Morrissey, Trouba, Chiarot.

Mason, Hellebuyck.

Damn, I picked him in my amateur draft. 

I'm too lazy to check, does anyone know off the top of their head what are the experts saying in how close he is to playing in the NHL?  

9 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Damn, I picked him in my amateur draft. 

I'm too lazy to check, does anyone know off the top of their head what are the experts saying in how close he is to playing in the NHL?  

I could certainly be wrong.  By all accounts he is right there knocking on the door and making the decision tough for the coaches.  I just don't see how you can fit him on the roster.  Who comes out of the top 6?  Enstrom?  Kulikov?  Myers?  That's a lot of money and a lot of veteran talent that you're sitting down for a rookie...

4 minutes ago, Brandon said:

On the radio this afternoon it sounded like Maurice will either have Poolman as our 6th D otherwise he's being sent to the Moose to get play time.    I'd imagine he is going to the Moose to get prime minutes.    He really really liked Poolman and spoke very highly of him .

Its the wrong move imo... but Poolman has to end up with the Moose until first injury...  too much salary in our 'top six' D to sit anyone

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

7th D will be Chiarot cuz Poolman needs to play. 

Poolman should be on the ice against competition at every opportunity, not in a pressbox, but he is way closer to NHL ready than I thought he would be.  I never get to watch all of the game, but I can't recall a single shift where he looked outclassed against professional competition.

I'd say the question has changed from is he ready to play in the NHL to is he ready to play an 82 game season in the NHL?