2017 Preseason

FrostyWinnipeg

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

I haven't followed the Jets closely over last season and this pre-season.   But based on the guys from 1290 they seem to really put Tanev at the bottom of the list.   Possibly lower then Hendricks.       Is he really that much of a drag?

He has very little offensive skill.  On the other hand he is still developing and his skating is excellent.  If he can become a great penalty killer, he could be a long-term, low-cost asset for the Jets.

Just now, Brandon said:

I haven't followed the Jets closely over last season and this pre-season.   But based on the guys from 1290 they seem to really put Tanev at the bottom of the list.   Possibly lower then Hendricks.       Is he really that much of a drag?

Try the reverse angle...

The reason the "Tanev-hate" is strong is because he just doesn't provide much when he's out there.  One hell of a skater, prob one of our fastest guys.  Other than that...... ???  There's a reason he went undrafted with that skating ability. 

If the practice depth chart of this week is an indicator of things to come, most think we're hooped just because Tanev will do very little to make that 3rd line better.   Maurice has said he wants 40 goals from the 3rd line.  If Tanev plays there regularly, you'd need Lowry to hit 25+ to get to 40.  #NotGunnaHappen 

The best summation I've heard about our FW group is that we've got plenty of top 6 FWs and a bunch of 4th line options, but very little if any "true" 3rd line depth. 

8 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Try the reverse angle...

The reason the "Tanev-hate" is strong is because he just doesn't provide much when he's out there.  One hell of a skater, prob one of our fastest guys.  Other than that...... ???  There's a reason he went undrafted with that skating ability. 

If the practice depth chart of this week is an indicator of things to come, most think we're hooped just because Tanev will do very little to make that 3rd line better.   Maurice has said he wants 40 goals from the 3rd line.  If Tanev plays there regularly, you'd need Lowry to hit 25+ to get to 40.  #NotGunnaHappen 

The best summation I've heard about our FW group is that we've got plenty of top 6 FWs and a bunch of 4th line options, but very little if any "true" 3rd line depth. 

Yup.  The hope is Connor is a third line option or, even better, a top six option pushing Perreault to the 3rd line which makes Armia and Lowry much better.  Copp could surprise people with playing time on the 3rd line as well.  Same with Petan.  But I think maurice is willing  to sacrifice goals for defensive responsibility.  So be it...we shall see.  Its a long season.

Many teams wanted Tanev when he became available.  And he has talent.  Lets hope he surprises.  Maybe he is what Lowry and Armia need to up their totals.

24 minutes ago, Atomic said:

He has very little offensive skill.  On the other hand he is still developing and his skating is excellent.  If he can become a great penalty killer, he could be a long-term, low-cost asset for the Jets.

He did have that great game against DET with 2 goals.

http://nationalpost.com/sports/hockey/nhl/brandon-tanev-scores-first-two-nhl-goals-as-winnipeg-jets-rally-to-defeat-detroit-red-wings-in-nhl-action-friday

38 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Try the reverse angle...

Except the league is moving away from 'true' 3rd liners... more and more teams cycling three scoring lines 

51 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Maurice has said he wants 40 goals from the 3rd line.  If Tanev plays there regularly, you'd need Lowry to hit 25+ to get to 40.  #NotGunnaHappen 

If Tanev can scrape together five goals, I see no reason why Armia/Lowry can't put together an additional 35.  Both guys are capable of 15-20.

Of course, you're never going to see a line stick together for a full 82 games anyways.

I think Ray Ferraro put it best when he was a guest on 1290 the other day.  If you have two dynamite scoring lines (and the Jets do), and your goal as a team this year is to reduce goals against moreso than increasing goals for, do you lean towards a 3rd line who can be more defensively responsible or one who can be more of an offensive threat?  The answer is obvious... you go with defence-first.

Now.... can Tanev be that defensively responsible player?  I don't know the answer to that.  Maybe.