2017 Preseason

FrostyWinnipeg

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

Thought Petan looked really good last night.  He looks a lot more professional in his game.  I think this is the year he takes a big step and becomes a real contributor to this team.  He may even steal a spot in the top 9.

Id agree but... Sounds like they are more interested in his D game as Mo mentioned in his Post Game.. If Lowry is hurt yead id give 3 Center to Petan but.. He needs Moose time to work on his D game. 

30 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Id agree but... Sounds like they are more interested in his D game as Mo mentioned in his Post Game.. If Lowry is hurt yead id give 3 Center to Petan but.. He needs Moose time to work on his D game. 

No I think he will be the 3rd line left wing.  He's there.

Im very intrigued that they played Poolman on left D.  I'd say thats simply to see if he can handle it due to being impressed and then he becomes the first call up to play either side.  But it gives them some freedom with Toby after this season as well.  I'd say it opens up trade possibilities but they dont need the cap space and if they really mean what they say about competing this year, no reason not to have deep D.

54 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Im very intrigued that they played Poolman on left D.  I'd say thats simply to see if he can handle it due to being impressed and then he becomes the first call up to play either side.  But it gives them some freedom with Toby after this season as well.  I'd say it opens up trade possibilities but they dont need the cap space and if they really mean what they say about competing this year, no reason not to have deep D.

Maurice said they haven't ruled out Poolman as the 7th defenceman.  I'll belive it when I see it but it's interesting for sure.

2 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Well based on post game interview it's Copp/Hendricks/Tanev as the 4th line and I wonder if Myers is ready to come back...

Umm no. Maurice did not say that at all. 

Id be shocked if Tanev sticks around and id be somewhat surprised if Hendricks dresses the season opener. Hes so slow and lost like all his faceoffs. 

Connor Lowry Armia 

Matthias Copp Dano. 

Hendricks upstairs. Petan to Moose. 

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

Umm no. Maurice did not say that at all. 

Id be shocked if Tanev sticks around and id be somewhat surprised if Hendricks dresses the season opener. Hes so slow and lost like all his faceoffs. 

Connor Lowry Armia 

Matthias Copp Dano. 

Hendricks upstairs. Petan to Moose. 

Petan to the Moose but Connor AND Dano make the team??  Yikes I don't see it.

Edited by Atomic

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

Petan to the Moose but Connor AND Dano make the team??  Yikes I don't see it.

Last night was the first time I've ever thought Petan looked good enough to be anywhere other than the pressbox or AHL.  He may finally be ready.  He was making good decisions with and away from the puck and did not resemble the defensive liability he has been in the past.

Connor is not ready.

Dano is just weird.  There are so many shifts where he does nothing to change what's happening on the ice.  They aren't good shifts, they aren't bad shifts, he just sort of exists out there.  He throws in an occasional great shift to trick you into thinking he can be so much more, but he almost never is.

He'll probably get that spot on the 4th line, but I wouldn't mind the Jets using that spot to give Lemeuix or Lipon an entry level position like they did with Copp a few years ago.  Five minutes a game to start and slowly expose him to more minutes and responsibilities if he responds well.  It doesn't seem like we'll ever get more from Dano than what he's already showed us.

2 hours ago, bustamente said:

I'd like to see them package up Dano with something and move him along.

Injuries happen and he's decent depth.  I know I sound a bit down on him but we could do worse.

Dano is exactly the kind of player expansion teams used to get and put in their top 6.  Enough good things in the scouting report that fans can feel optimistic about those first few seasons, and yet, nope, it's a bad team.

He has some value, but whatever hopeful expectations people had about him reaching his potential can be tossed in the wastebin at this point.

Yup.  Chiarot seems tailor made for the 7th D role.  He's decent as a fill in, but you're not wasting him in the Press Box.  He could have a pretty decent career as a 7th D.  Poolman should play big minutes and make sure he can handle it every day.  The fact they played him on both sides would seem to indicate he's the first call up regardless of who might go down to injury.

Nice problem to have for a change.  if Niku works out too...and down the road, Stanley, we're looking ok.  Especially if Trouba re-signs.