Montreal Fires Chapdelaine and Thorpe

Rich

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

No F'ning way would Lapo leave his situation for the dump of Montreal.

Montreal is a bigger gong show then Saskatchewan was the last few years... 

I'm guessing Thorpe ends up as HC in Hamilton?  If not them then maybe we have a shot?

I don't think he'll get a HC job now that he got fired because his stock will have taken a huge hit.  But I am in the camp that once this season is over, we should at least consider bringing him onboard as DC because he certainly couldn't do any worse than Hall.

2 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

I don't think he'll get a HC job now that he got fired because his stock will have taken a huge hit.  But I am in the camp that once this season is over, we should at least consider bringing him onboard as DC because he certainly couldn't do any worse than Hall.

I don't know about that.   I'm pretty sure everyone in the league is looking at ownership and Reed as the fools... not Chaps and Thorpe.       Thorpe's track record is really good,  he will find work real fast.

1 minute ago, MC said:

I don't understand firing Thorpe.  Nothing wrong with that defense other than several players being close to their best before date.  But there is no problem with scheme or play calling.

Kavis Reed is a backstabber and likely has a big ego, perhaps wanting to get one of his own guys or himself installed as the DC.  I'm guessing while he was ST coordinator here, he and Thorpe musta had some kinda fighting going on behind the scenes or something.  The way he dismissed the guy was classless too.

5 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I don't know about that.   I'm pretty sure everyone in the league is looking at ownership and Reed as the fools... not Chaps and Thorpe.       Thorpe's track record is really good,  he will find work real fast.

Yes he'll find work as a DC, I have no doubt about that.  But getting the whole HC gig at this point would be a pretty big risk not knowing what you're going to get.  And Hamilton's a little unstable too.  Not Montreal unstable but still in a bit of upheaval that I'd have a little pause before going there as well.

12 minutes ago, MC said:

I don't understand firing Thorpe.  Nothing wrong with that defense other than several players being close to their best before date.  But there is no problem with scheme or play calling.

Rumours abound suggesting he lost the respect of his personnel going as far back as last season. Losing only adds fuel to the fire.

3 minutes ago, bearpants said:

can you clarify this comment... you don't think the Bombers should be looking at him or you know/have heard they and other CFL teams are not interested at the moment?...

To me, I don't think there's any way of knowing really who is or isn't interested in Thorpe right now.  We do know this that obviously Calgary, BC, SSK and Ottawa are not going to have any DC vacancies.  Is Edmonton dissatisfied with Benevides's performance, or has Toronto's commitment to Chamblin wavered at all?  The answer to that could be telling.  The only true vacancy at the moment is in Hamilton as Lolley is still under the interim tag having replaced Reinebold.  Either way though, Thorpe wouldn't be able to install a new system until the offseason.

6 minutes ago, yogi said:

For anyone saying "fire Richie, bring in Thorpe", care to articulate why? Do you know anything about Thorpe other than that he's an unemployed CFL DC? I doubt it.

Well, he's been the DC in charge of some pretty stingy defensive units in Montreal. I'm pretty sure he wasn't fired due to a lack of skill or how well he does his job from a technical standpoint.

Edited by blue_gold_84

Just now, blue_gold_84 said:

Well, he's been the DC in charge of some pretty stingy defensive units in Montreal. I'm pretty sure he wasn't fired due to a lack of skill or how well he does his job from a technical standpoint.

he runs a defense that seems to be the opposite of Richie.  more pressure, more risk, less passive sitting back and waiting..  the kind of defense that people like around these parts.

26 minutes ago, yogi said:

For anyone saying "fire Richie, bring in Thorpe", care to articulate why? Do you know anything about Thorpe other than that he's an unemployed CFL DC? I doubt it.

I along with many others have seen enough of his defenses to know they are no worse and usually better than Richie Hall's.  Whether we hire him or not would likely depend on whether he and O'Shea would work well together.  But well before he was fired I saw plenty of people talk about him coming here should Richie Hall tank.

47 minutes ago, yogi said:

The one thing about Al's that I have like for the past 5 years... is their D.  Aggressive, hard hitting, tenacious, and over all fearsome. I always thought that type of defense was a perfect fit  for our bombers.  I think that's what NT would bring to the Bombers. 

7 minutes ago, Jacquie said:

Yup, I am not surprised by this.  All I can do is just shake my head at the buffoons running things in Montreal.

Kinda seems odd though that Chapdelaine woulda wanted him promoted to GM, unless the idea there was to try and get him off the field sidelines.  If that rumor is indeed true.

Edited by USABomberfan

36 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

The one thing about Al's that I have like for the past 5 years... is their D.  Aggressive, hard hitting, tenacious, and over all fearsome. I always thought that type of defense was a perfect fit  for our bombers.  I think that's what NT would bring to the Bombers. 

Agreed. We have some great pieces on D, I just don't think Hall is placing them properly on the field. I loved Montreal's defence and would love to see Thorpe in Winnipeg.