bc thumped by SASKATCHEWAN

Mr Dee

This is just one of those games that you chalk up to football.

I take nothing away from it.  Every team in this league can win any time they lace it up.  Some games, the coaches miss on the game plan and the players just aren't into it.  Jennings is a good QB and can become a great one.  He is a gunslinger though and just like Brock, Mcmanus , Burris and many more - when they get picked 3 times in a game, they are still going to believe they can fit the ball into a non-existent window and throw 2 more.  Fans think they are stupid, but love them when they bring their teams back from the brink using the exact same philosophy.

4 minutes ago, tracker said:

That's what they want you to think.

LaPo did a pretty good job explain what was going on during the first half of every game. He took one play & then broke it down much more deliberately than Hank. It was easier to understand & he wasn't talking so quietly that viewers would miss a phrase or a description thereby missing the entire point of the discussion & go What???

1 hour ago, tracker said:

I am starting wonder if Wally has lost his edge. In every profession, at some point, no matter how good you are or how much you love the work, your unconscious starts sending out signals by changing perceptions and behaviours that its time to move on.  If you're in tune with that, you leave with your dignity intact. If not, and you overstay your welcome, you become an object of pity or scorn.

Can't stand the guy. Never could. He's in love with himself. Loves his hair. Won't muss it up so won't wear a headset. LOL! Totally self-absorbed jerk. Likes to give other coaches and players advice whether they asked for it or not. Thinks he is some kind of fatherly mentor to the poor misguided and unwashed football masses. I guarantee he'll overstay his welcome. Probably already has. He can't leave soon enough, for me. Time for the young guns like Khari, O'Shea, Dickenson, and Maas to take over now. Wally will get all the accolades due him. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

45 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Surprised he let Lumbala do the so called dirty  work for him instead of the Coordinators. He knew there was a problem but chose not to take responsibility for it & sluffed it off to one of his team captains. Would Wally have done that 20 years ago? Would he have let a team from that time be so sloppy & unprepared? Something tells me no. Maybe it's finally time he should think about stepping aside, this time for good as a coach. If this had been Benevides or Tedford coaching he'd have been seething up in the coaches box telling himself that it wouldn't have happened if he was on the sidelines. Yet it did. He rode those 2 head coaches hard & was probably just as much responsible for their failures as they were. 

Billy-D_Approves.gif

Just now, J5V said:

Can't stand the guy. Never could. He's in love with himself. Loves his hair. Won't muss it up so won't wear a headset. LOL! Totally self-absorbed jerk. Likes to give other coaches and players advice whether they asked for it or not. Thinks he is some kind of fatherly mentor to the poor misguided and unwashed football masses. I guarantee he'll overstay his welcome. Probably already has. He can't leave soon enough, for me. Time for the young guns like Khari, O'Shea, Dickenson, and Maas to take over now. Wally will get all the accolades due him. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

And yet, like Tom Landry and many other coaches of note, he may not be loved. but he keeps winning more than losing. As long as that continues, he's untouchable unless the new ownership of the Lions wants fresh faces in the coaching ranks.

9 minutes ago, tracker said:

And yet, like Tom Landry and many other coaches of note, he may not be loved. but he keeps winning more than losing. As long as that continues, he's untouchable unless the new ownership of the Lions wants fresh faces in the coaching ranks.

This is his last year.

6 minutes ago, tracker said:

Wally was a great coach but he's 68. He didn't do near enough good job to turn around a cocky team last week & got blown out because of it. Then the Lumbala thing last night. Unfortunately, he'll decide when it's time to leave. No one will fire him. 

1 hour ago, J5V said:

Can't stand the guy. Never could. He's in love with himself. Loves his hair. Won't muss it up so won't wear a headset. LOL! Totally self-absorbed jerk. Likes to give other coaches and players advice whether they asked for it or not. Thinks he is some kind of fatherly mentor to the poor misguided and unwashed football masses. I guarantee he'll ....

Now who sounds arrogant?

If it's one thing I've learned over the years is to never underestimate Coah Wally Buono, nor GM Wally Buono. He knows this game. He knows talent and he can definitely read a room.  Hence, prior to yesterday's game, he felt 'not so good vibes' emanating from the locker room. He didn't abdicate responsibility to try and change the mood, he relied on a proven veteran, that the players respect, to try and get them out of that funk. It didn't work. It will in the future.

The Lions biggest problem was falling into that trap of not being mentally ready, and it all started with their own QB. No way was Jennings ready, mentally or physically for that game, and the team followed his poor direction. They couldn't match the Riders intensity in any way, shape, or form. 

Lulay, if he was healthy, would have fared better, as he is way more experienced in playing against the odds. Jennings is not mentallly tough enough yet. I don't know if he will get there either.

So, it was no contest, because the Riders were ready, and played a solid game, and the Lions were always chasing and didn't make any plays. When your QBs can't make plays, you're in trouble. And the Lions had a heap of that yesterday.

49 minutes ago, do or die said:

Imagine if Wally wore shorts more often.....

no... you cant make me....

5 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

They thought Wally was done in 2011 when he started 0-5. They then proceeded to win the grey cup.. One game doesn't change anything. He's still a good coach/gm. 

+ dave ritchie when he had that awful first half of a season in montreal as well. 

9 minutes ago, MC said:

Talk about prisoners of the moment!  All these posters writing off Wally Buono as a coach and GM after one game where his team was flat.  Pretty sure they won't be singing that tune in a few months.  Everybody, and I mean everybody, has bad games.

This is true. That oline cant be fixed easily tho. 3 man pressure most the game.