Wiecek's Article

1 minute ago, bearpants said:

IMO opinion, the only thing, as fans, we are "entitled" to is the team showing up every week and giving 100% on every play... and that should be the coaches main responsibility... any other piece of news or info can stay in house for all I care... I just want my money's worth when the guys step on the field...

But...but... the reporters are the conduit between fans and players!!! We need them to get us answers on how the players need to keep playing hard, battling and giving 110%!

2 minutes ago, bearpants said:

IMO opinion, the only thing, as fans, we are "entitled" to is the team showing up every week and giving 100% on every play... and that should be the coaches main responsibility... any other piece of news or info can stay in house for all I care... I just want my money's worth when the guys step on the field...

100% this....the level of entitlement of some people is just ridiculous....

5 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

I know I'm going to get roasted for this, but here goes...  I do see some truth in the way that Weicek describes O'Shea.  To me, he really does come across as "talking down" to people.  I get the impression that he feels that having to talk to people is beneath him or that, in order to protect the players, he needs to stand there and refuse to acknowledge the painfully obvious.  No, I'm not saying that he should get fired, but I'd really like someone, maybe Walters, to take him aside and explain that the media represent the fans and the fans are the ultimate boss because the fans pay the freight.  They deserve better than "everything's fine, don't worry yourself about it." even when reporters are asking dumb questions.

So it's ok to admit that someone had a bad night when everyone in the entire stadium can see that he did.  O'Shea doesn't have to throw anyone under the bus, but to say something like "Ya, Medlock struggled a bit tonight, but we know that he'll bounce back" acknowledges reality, nothing more, nothing less.  Or to say something like, "Ya, my decision to gamble on 3rd and 15 is one I'd like to have back.  It wasn't a smart decision and I'm disappointed in myself." would demonstrate just a bit of humility.  When his QB is willing to step up and do that I'm surprised that O'Shea can't recognize that Nichols is being a true leader and displaying a trait that most adults value: accountability.

It's a real ***** in his armour and if he really wants to become a top level coach, he needs to fix it.

Everytime I have talked to him in person its the exact opposite. Very easy to talk to does not talk down too you answers questions honestly.

1 hour ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Thought this deserved its own thread, because his article this morning is beyond explanation. For those without a subscription, here is a synopsis:

Mike O'Shea never takes responsibility for anything, is the most hated coach in Winnipeg sports history (more hated than Kelly, Burke or Berry), and is the sole reason we have 25K at our games instead of 32K.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/the-crowds-at-igf-are-shrinking-so-why-is-mike-oshea-smirking-437107983.html

And I didn't even exaggerate any of those points! What a complete and utter tool bag.

I think it might be time to save $30/month.

I don't like the media here much as is but this one.. wow.. really took the cake.  Couldnt believe how badly written it was and the reaches he was attempting to make..

sad really.   our fanbase is reeling from the last few years and then the sheep get to read this to help motivate them to not watch the games?   smh.

5 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

I know I'm going to get roasted for this, but here goes...  I do see some truth in the way that Weicek describes O'Shea.  To me, he really does come across as "talking down" to people.  I get the impression that he feels that having to talk to people is beneath him or that, in order to protect the players, he needs to stand there and refuse to acknowledge the painfully obvious.  No, I'm not saying that he should get fired, but I'd really like someone, maybe Walters, to take him aside and explain that the media represent the fans and the fans are the ultimate boss because the fans pay the freight.  They deserve better than "everything's fine, don't worry yourself about it." even when reporters are asking dumb questions.

So it's ok to admit that someone had a bad night when everyone in the entire stadium can see that he did.  O'Shea doesn't have to throw anyone under the bus, but to say something like "Ya, Medlock struggled a bit tonight, but we know that he'll bounce back" acknowledges reality, nothing more, nothing less.  Or to say something like, "Ya, my decision to gamble on 3rd and 15 is one I'd like to have back.  It wasn't a smart decision and I'm disappointed in myself." would demonstrate just a bit of humility.  When his QB is willing to step up and do that I'm surprised that O'Shea can't recognize that Nichols is being a true leader and displaying a trait that most adults value: accountability.

It's a real ***** in his armour and if he really wants to become a top level coach, he needs to fix it.

The only time I've noticed O'Shea "talking down" to people is when they ask inane questions.  When an intelligent football question is asked, he lights up and engages with the person asking the question as if he was sitting down and having a beer with a buddy.  Just because Weicek is one of the guys usually asking the inane questions, he's got his feelings hurt and that's why he writes the crap that he does about O'Shea and the team in general.  The people responding to his articles likely only read what he writes and so only have what he has to say as a reference and don't really know what they are talking about.

1 minute ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

That Patti blog was actually about last week's trash article. Hilariously, this week's is even worse!

And I'm not sure if people are familiar with Patti, but she is formerly Pat Doyle, who used to regularly bring the snark when writing for...the Sun I think? It is no surprise that she would defend Wiecek because her shtick was similar back in the day.

Just now, Noeller said:

Absolutely false....I have never understood this. There was a time, many many moons ago, when the media were the only link fans had to sports teams....that is so long gone, it's not even funny. Wiecek (and really nobody in the media that I can think of...) represents the fans voice....

Then could you explain to me (and I'm not being facetious) what you think the reporter is doing there?  Who exactly is he representing?  Because to me, if he asks questions and then writes about them for public consumption he is, de facto, representing those of us who cannot ask direct questions to coaches, politicians and others of power.  

9 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

The media don't represent the fans.  That's ridiculous.  Even then, the access the Bombers give is incredible.  They are all over 1290, who isn't even a local rights holder.  Players, coaches including O'Shea, Walters, Miller.  Everyday there's several people from the organization giving radio interviews.

Wiecek and a few others aren't good journalists.  They don't ask questions.  The give a narrative and want a yes or no.  It's a complete joke.  Study the sport, gain some knowledge and ask some intelligent questions.  O'Shea has no problem answering those, nor does Maurice or anyone else.  The problem is Wiecek, not the coaches.

I also think you might need to go back and do some reading or listening to radio chats because O'Shea addressed exactly the issues you used as an example at the start of the week and post-game last week.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

1 hour ago, HardCoreBlue said:

He's blaming the attendance drop on MOS?

Not living in Winnipeg, is there any merit to that? 'I'm not going to the game because of MOS 'type argument?

He's quoted some subscribers to back up his claim. 

I've always found PW to be someone who thinks he's clever but really isn't.

yea quoting people who are faceless and nameless as his sources is absolutely freakin' brilliant lol. 

what a ****** canoe..

Should anyone be surprised at a head coach - one who also happens to be a HOFer after an amazing career as a player - who seemingly "talks down" to clueless writers who ask him dumb questions all the time...?

Put yourself in O'Shea's shoes. It's like the kid who repeatedly asks why over and over, no matter what you tell them. That crap gets old quick and the fact of the matter is O'Shea doesn't owe Wiecek a damn thing, much less a "humble" talking point. Wiecek has been bitter for years in his columns, so maybe he should take a look at himself before casting judgement directed at someone who's accomplished way more than he has.

There is no defense - none - for dumping on someone for wearing shorts or having a "smirk" on his face on the sidelines.

Edited by blue_gold_84

38 minutes ago, Noeller said:

some years back, the team actually went so far as to ban access to Paul Friesen because of some things he said. I wouldn't be averse to the club at least "limiting" Paul Wiecek....

it has to be getting close to that point.. hes borderline attacking the team and its coaches without any real reason or substance.

4 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Then could you explain to me (and I'm not being facetious) what you think the reporter is doing there?  Who exactly is he representing?  Because to me, if he asks questions and then writes about them for public consumption he is, de facto, representing those of us who cannot ask direct questions to coaches, politicians and others of power.  

In Paul's case he represents the paper, and his only duty is to sell more of them. He writes this crap because it gets a reaction. He all but admitted last week in a column that he doesn't bother writing stuff anymore that he knows won't get as many page views.

Edited by Super Duper Negatron

1 minute ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

And I'm not sure if people are familiar with Patti, but she is formerly Pat Doyle, who used to regularly bring the snark when writing for...the Sun I think? It is no surprise that she would defend Wiecek because her shtick was similar back in the day.

birds of a stanky, snarky feather..

8 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Got KO'd in a bar by a Bomber in the 80s IIRC, Walby stepped in to end it, heard that story a few years ago though.

9 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

they're arrogantly THINKING they represent the fans.....but they're clueless. It's just not true anymore. With Twitter, and the club's own direct interaction with the fans, journalists no longer are the voice.....it hasn't been that way in AGES......the internet changes everything. "Reporters" (more accureately, columnists) are only representing themselves...

2 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Got KO'd in a bar by a Bomber in the 80s IIRC, Walby stepped in to end it, heard that story a few years ago though.

a Bomber hit a woman.......or Patty was a dude before...?

12 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

The Bombers post player and Coach O'Shea's interviews daily on their website/app/twitter/facebook. I find when I watch them there really is no need to read the papers as I know what's going to be in them as there wont be much more additional content than what I just watched. 

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

they're arrogantly THINKING they represent the fans.....but they're clueless. It's just not true anymore. With Twitter, and the club's own direct interaction with the fans, journalists no longer are the voice.....it hasn't been that way in AGES......the internet changes everything. "Reporters" (more accureately, columnists) are only representing themselves...

This is exactly it, that is why I love Ed Tait and Bob Irving. They can be critical of the team without running with a predetermined narrative, plus they actually give a **** about football whereas Wiecek can't wait to leave the stadium to go watch the ponies.

1 minute ago, Nash00 said:

This is exactly it, that is why I love Ed Tait and Bob Irving. They can be critical of the team without running with a predetermined narrative, plus they actually give a **** about football whereas Wiecek can't wait to leave the stadium to go watch the ponies.

100% this.....Tait and Irving can DEFINITELY be critical, but they're not looking for a negative before all else.

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I wonder if he'd dump on Buono for the shoddy attendance numbers at BC Place if he were situated out in Vancouver.

The fact he uses the angry rants of his reader base really speaks to how much of a bitter turd he is. He basically has to resort to attacking O'Shea to frame his argument. It doesn't get more pathetic than that.

I've been flying to Vancouver for the bomber game the past 3 seasons. Upper deck is tarped off, lower bowl has been less than half full 2/3 years. It's a ghost town. The game last week was the most people I've seen at a Lions game I've gone to.