Looking Ahead: Toronto Vs Winnipeg

Ottawa did the same thing we did...essentially gave the game away. 

17 points, off a fumble, an interception and a quick kick that was poorly executed.  So, the Argos scored a FG and a great long pass play to SJ Green on their own. We can stop their Offence.

It's their defence we should be concerned with. Our Offence better be ready for their attack because they have some very good players who will give our O-Line fits. 

If we play a full game, we'll get the W.

How often do we hear about our DE's? Oh yeah! We did hear about Westerman's too many roughing the passer penalties. Their QB's roll out into bald prairie, eat a few bites of their snack and throw a completed pass. More often than not they have rolled out the right side and there has not been anyone coming at them. Our containment has been just terrible. Four sacks!

38 minutes ago, Booch said:

Should see no drop-off really with Jeffcoat, as Opo I don't think has got his CFL groove back.

Knox too I like in that spot..let's see if he will step up...Will miss Wild's leadership tho

Im really hoping Knox makes so many plays that when Wild is back they have to keep Knox in the line up and sit Hurl. Wasn't pleased with his play against CGY. Seemed to get mixed up on pass plays often.

Edited by Bigblue204

I am going to make a bold prediction: Carmichael is so vulnerable and Ray is so deadly a passer that, if Carmichael starts and plays the game, we will lose. Hurl is still a liability but he can be compensated for a lot easier than an inept d-back.

The scary part of losing Wild is losing his role in pass coverage.  He often plays a deep half as a safety (cover 2) and they do a lot of shifting of positions between Wild, Leggett and Loffler.  I don't believe Knox is quite as experienced with coverages, he's more a straight up LB.  Expect to see him blitzing a lot.

Here is some food for thought. Who will outcoach who MOS or Trestman. Let me make a prediction that I hope doesn't come true. While it is a given Trestman will outcoach MOS, I believe we have more talent. With that said watch Ray throw a couple of short passes aka LaPolice style but just long enough to bring in the DBs then dump it over their heads to a streaking receiver NOT aka La Police. I fear for this game but think we may squeak out a win if we keep the defense off the field for a reasonable amount of time. If we cannot move the ball we will lose then again I guess that is a forgone conclusion isn't it. Sorry

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

The scary part of losing Wild is losing his role in pass coverage.  He often plays a deep half as a safety (cover 2) and they do a lot of shifting of positions between Wild, Leggett and Loffler.  I don't believe Knox is quite as experienced with coverages, he's more a straight up LB.  Expect to see him blitzing a lot.

I worry about this too, especially against a pass happy team like the argos. I wonder if another db on the field instead of Knox would be a better option?

On ‎2017‎-‎07‎-‎09 at 7:46 PM, Atomic said:

True, Toronto didn't just lose 28-15 last week.  Oh wait yes they did.  But they are consistent...?  All hail Trestman and Popp and their consistent 2-1 team.  Truly remarkable consistency.

I didn't take his example to mean that we(the Boatmen) are by any means a consistent team (yet).

I took it to mean that the coaching job of switching a godawful team (us, 2nd 2/3rds last season) to a competent one that can compete (us, so far) is simpler than taking a team that looks different every week and addressing the different issues that pop up.

Edited by bluto
clarity

Just now, bluto said:

I didn't take his example to mean that we are by any means a consistent team (yet).

I took it to mean that the coaching job of switching a godawful team (us, 2nd 2/3rds last season) to a competent one that can compete (us, so far) is simpler than taking a team that looks different every week and addressing the different issues that pop up.

Common element between first 1/3 of last season and first three games of this season is Ricky Ray.

Ray_R-280x300.png

I expect Trestman is going to gameplan at our LBers ... rookie at one spot, slow foot at another and overloaded at the third .... might see a lot of counters and wide receiver sweeps and reverses on the running side while picking apart our zone defense as only Ray can .... we better hope we can get some consistent pressure on him ... so far our blitz has been more like a blintz, very flat with no bite